Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 16 Jan 2010 (Saturday) 18:27
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

CF card for travel without a computer?

ions
Goldmember
1,825 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Jan 16, 2010 18:27 |  #1

I'm going on a vacation in which I will not have access to a pc to unload pics from my one CF card - an 8GB. So, I am thinking of picking up this 32GB Transcend card (external link) for the trip. I have a 7D but do not plan on taking much video, if any, or using the faster drive too often, if at all. For video I can use my 8GB card, it's pretty quick. Any thoughts on whether that card will be adequate given these requirements?

Gear: Canon EOS 5D3 | Canon EOS 7D | Canon 24-70L ƒ2.8 | Canon 100L ƒ2.8 | Canon 70-200 ƒ2.8L IS II | Canon 420 EX | Tamrac Evolution 9 | Crumpler 8 MDH | Manfrotto 190QC with 804RC2 head.
flickr (external link)

sponsored links
ed ­ rader
"I am not the final word"
23,132 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined May 2005

Jan 16, 2010 18:51 |  #2

ions wrote in post #9407262 (external link)
I'm going on a vacation in which I will not have access to a pc to unload pics from my one CF card - an 8GB. So, I am thinking of picking up this 32GB Transcend card (external link) for the trip. I have a 7D but do not plan on taking much video, if any, or using the faster drive too often, if at all. For video I can use my 8GB card, it's pretty quick. Any thoughts on whether that card will be adequate given these requirements?

it's probably an okay card but i'd go for two of these instead http://www.adorama.com …earchinfo=sandi​sk+extreme (external link).

ed rader

http://instagram.com/e​draderphotography/ (external link)
5D4, 80d, 16-35L F4 IS, 24-70L II, 70-200L F4 IS II, 100-400L II, sigma 15 FE, sigma 14 f1.8, tc 1.4 III, 430exII, gitzo 3542L + markins Q20, gitzo GT 1545T + markins Q3T, gitzo GM4562

ions
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,825 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Jan 16, 2010 19:05 |  #3

I would too if I could get such a deal. That's US. Not going to find anything close to that here in Canada. For example, here is a similar card (external link), not sure what the difference is exactly but the price sure sucks.

Gear: Canon EOS 5D3 | Canon EOS 7D | Canon 24-70L ƒ2.8 | Canon 100L ƒ2.8 | Canon 70-200 ƒ2.8L IS II | Canon 420 EX | Tamrac Evolution 9 | Crumpler 8 MDH | Manfrotto 190QC with 804RC2 head.
flickr (external link)

ions
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,825 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Jan 16, 2010 19:10 |  #4

Hah! in fact the one in Canada is 20mb/s versus the 30mb/s in the US! Considering the dollar is near parity...

flickr (external link)

dovaka
398 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Jan 16, 2010 19:19 as a reply to  @ ions's post |  #5

i have one of those cards but i only ever use it when i do really long time lapses and i leave the camera there all day

i own way to much crap to list it all here and try to keep it up to date

ions
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,825 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Jan 16, 2010 21:35 |  #6

I think 4 of these Kingston 8GB cards (external link) may make more sense at $123.96 for 32GB than the $139.97 for the 32GB Transcend. Looks like I should have put this in Market Watch...

flickr (external link)

440roadrunner
Goldmember
1,312 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Jan 16, 2010 22:10 |  #7
bannedPermanent ban

ions wrote in post #9408283 (external link)
I think 4 of these Kingston 8GB cards (external link) may make more sense at $123.96 for 32GB than the $139.97 for the 32GB Transcend. Looks like I should have put this in Market Watch...

I agree. Ever heard the ditty "Don't put your eggs all in one basket?"

You'd feel pretty poor if you had one of 'em big gigantic cards, got home to discover that it failed on ya.

2-40D's, 30D, Xt, EOS-3, Elan7, ElanII 100-400L, 24-105L, 17-55IS 2.8, Sig 12-24 EX DG 4.5
Mamiya M645 1000S, 45mm 2.8, 80mm 1.9, 110mm 2.8 + 2x extender

hollis_f
Cream of the Crop
10,649 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2007

Jan 17, 2010 06:04 |  #8

440roadrunner wrote in post #9408471 (external link)
I agree. Ever heard the ditty "Don't put your eggs all in one basket?"

I think I'd rather carry one basket of eggs than try to juggle four of them.

440roadrunner wrote in post #9408471 (external link)
You'd feel pretty poor if you had one of 'em big gigantic cards, got home to discover that it failed on ya.

Just as bad as if one of the smaller cards failed - which would be four times more likely.

Frank Hollis - Retired mass spectroscopist
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll complain about the withdrawal of his free fish entitlement.
Gear Website (external link)

SuzyView
Cream of the Crop
32,092 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Oct 2005

Jan 17, 2010 07:47 |  #9

I have about 16 CF cards now that I number and take with me for important shoots and trips. Most are 4 GB and I have the 5D2 which takes only 123 images in RAW + mJPEG. The 7D will only be a little better. Get yourself a little wallet for CF cards, I have the Think Tank one and it's wonderful for 10 cards, and I bought 4 GB Ultra II's from Costco, they were on sale, and I've never regretted it. I usually have my small laptop and external hard drive to download every so often, but if you don't have anything to download daily, you will be sad you didn't get enough memory right off. Think about it. A 4GB card is 3 rolls of 36 exposure film (for my 5D2). That's not a lot. I only have 1 8GB card, as stated above, eggs in one basket, heaven forbid I lose the card or it fails. During a wedding shoot, that has happened. I put in a card that didn't register in the camera. I was happy I had 7 empty cards still left in my case.

Suzie - Still Speaking Canonese!
5DIV, SONY a7iii, 7D2, G12, M100, M50, 5 L's & 2 Primes, 25 bags.
My children and grandchildren are the reason, but it's the passion that drives me to get the perfect image of everything.

tgara
Goldmember
2,336 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Jan 17, 2010 08:04 as a reply to  @ SuzyView's post |  #10

All the above advice is good with regard to the CF cards. For the future, you may want to consider getting a portable photoviewer, such as the Epson or Colorspace devices:

http://www.epson.com …BVCookie=yes&oi​d=63076680 (external link)

http://www.hypershop.c​om …-COLORSPACE-UDMA-s/64.htm (external link)

I don't own a laptop, and wouldn't want to carry one with me if I did, but my Epson P-5000 goes on the trips. I find these types of devices to be excellent and reliable means to back up cards while on the go. Small, portable, and you can easily share the shots with friends.

EOS 5D Mark III
EOS Rebel SL1
Full Gear List

dovaka
398 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Jan 17, 2010 09:25 |  #11

hollis_f wrote in post #9409864 (external link)
Just as bad as if one of the smaller cards failed - which would be four times more likely.

it wouldnt be as bad since you would only loose one card and only up to 25% of your photos instead of 100% of them if them 32gb card fails

hollis_f
Cream of the Crop
10,649 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Jan 17, 2010 09:34 |  #12

dovaka wrote in post #9410505 (external link)
it wouldnt be as bad since you would only loose one card and only up to 25% of your photos instead of 100% of them if them 32gb card fails

Which might be a worry - if CF cards were highly likely to fail. But I've been using them for over 15 years (I still have an 8MB - yup 0.008GB card) and I've never had one fail in the camera. It's my opinion that going through the hassle of having to keep swapping cards (with the added risk of losing one) makes about as much sense as walking around the city armed with bear repellant - just in case.

Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll complain about the withdrawal of his free fish entitlement.

dovaka
398 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Jan 17, 2010 09:49 |  #13

hollis_f wrote in post #9410533 (external link)
Which might be a worry - if CF cards were highly likely to fail. But I've been using them for over 15 years (I still have an 8MB - yup 0.008GB card) and I've never had one fail in the camera. It's my opinion that going through the hassle of having to keep swapping cards (with the added risk of losing one) makes about as much sense as walking around the city armed with bear repellant - just in case.

your right its very unlikely to happen but it does happen. it really depends on what your doing if your just out taking pictures for the hell of it and you loose the whole week your not going to be happy when i go somewhere for a week and someone is paying me quite a bit of money to bring back pictures of a snow boarding event or something and i tell them my card crapped out, my camera broke, got stolen or any one of 100 reasons why i dont have the images i would most likely never work for them again so its easy insurance to have multiple cards and break things up just to be sure for that 1 in a million chance of something happening

hollis_f
Cream of the Crop
10,649 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Jan 17, 2010 10:02 |  #14

dovaka wrote in post #9410613 (external link)
you loose the whole week

Then I'd consider myself a complete twat for not making a backup .

dovaka
398 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Jan 17, 2010 10:04 |  #15

hollis_f wrote in post #9410673 (external link)
Then I'd consider myself a complete twat for not making a backup .

but then you have to take the card out anyway so why not just divide it amongst other cards. i also do backup every card as soon as i take it out of the camera into my hyperdrive

sponsored links

1,921 views & 0 likes for this thread
CF card for travel without a computer?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.