Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 23 Jun 2005 (Thursday) 13:47
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Stupid question about shooting macro

judyg
170 posts
Joined May 2005

Jun 23, 2005 13:47 |  #1

I love closeups of flowers and whatever, but I think I'm missing something. I have the EOS 350, with the EF 75-300 EF IS and the EF 25-135 IS.

When I shoot close up, I get as close as the lens lets me, decide on depth of field, and either manual or auto focus, depending. The pics come out pretty good to my eye.

I don't shoot these in the "macro" preset on the camera, I shoot in either "P" mode or AV or TV.

In reading about macro, the books always mention putting the lens in "macro mode". I never do anything different as far as lens settings for macro shots. Is there a setting on the lens for macro, that I am not seeing?

Both of these lenses have a macro "ring" on them.

Sorry if this is a really stupid question. And yes, there is such a thing as a stupid question.

sponsored links
copter105
58 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Jun 23, 2005 14:39 |  #2

If you are getting good pictures then don't change a thing. The beauty of manual settings is the manual part. I've never owned a macro lens so maybe somebody else can tell you better. Post a few pictures here and let's see what you got.

SDK^
263 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined May 2004

Jun 23, 2005 14:42 |  #3

The Macro setting on those lenses isn't true 1:1 lifesize macro - It just puts the lens into a close focussing mode.
Changing the setting on the camera to Macro Mode won't do much either, it'll just select a few presets to make taking the photo easier i.e. : The One shot AF mode, (single) drive mode, Evaluative metering mode, Auto ISO speed, and Auto white balance will be set automatically.

Stick with P, Tv or Av :)

:: Sony A7 III | Sigma 12-24 | Sigma 24a | Sony 55, 85 and 135 F1.8 | Canon 100 Macro L IS ::

gasrocks
Cream of the Crop
13,432 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Jun 23, 2005 15:00 as a reply to  @ SDK^'s post |  #4

When someone says put in it the macro mode - they mean get as close as you can - some lenses have special setting that allow you to get closer than they normally would. Not real macro, just closer. Good pix of flowers? get the camera out of auto. You should be manual focus, setting the iso yourself, probably in Av mode picking a lot of DOF, f/16 or f/22 or f/32 for example. On a tripod or at least a monopod. Those 2 lenses you mentioned won't deliver stunning macro pix. But learn the technique, do the best you can.

GEAR LIST

malla1962
Cream of the Crop
7,714 posts
Joined Jul 2004

Jun 23, 2005 16:21 as a reply to  @ gasrocks's post |  #5

gasrocks wrote:
When someone says put in it the macro mode - they mean get as close as you can - some lenses have special setting that allow you to get closer than they normally would. Not real macro, just closer. Good pix of flowers? get the camera out of auto. You should be manual focus, setting the iso yourself, probably in Av mode picking a lot of DOF, f/16 or f/22 or f/32 for example. On a tripod or at least a monopod. Those 2 lenses you mentioned won't deliver stunning macro pix. But learn the technique, do the best you can.

true macro is life size 1:1 anything els is just close up.you could buy some life size conversion filters for your lenses and they work quite well and dont cost a bomb.allso
using extension tubes will let you focus closer.

Gear List

judyg
THREAD ­ STARTER
170 posts
Joined May 2005

Jun 23, 2005 17:30 as a reply to  @ malla1962's post |  #6

Ok then I guess it's just closeup not true macro. Here's a rose:

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://img.photobucket​.com …dstein/misc/ros​efixed.jpg (external link)
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Byte size: ZERO

judyg
THREAD ­ STARTER
170 posts
Joined May 2005

Jun 23, 2005 17:39 as a reply to  @ judyg's post |  #7

Here's a tomato plant:

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://img.photobucket​.com …goodstein/misc/​tomato.jpg (external link)
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Byte size: ZERO

MDJAK
Cream of the Crop
24,725 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Nov 2004

Jun 23, 2005 17:43 as a reply to  @ judyg's post |  #8

Judy, take a look here:

http://www.luminous-landscape.com …/lenses/canon_m​acro.shtml (external link)

Also, the pictures you posted are very nice. But if you want to do true macro, check out the Canon 100mm f/2.8 macro lens. It is as sharp as a razor and true 1:1.

Barb42
775 posts
Joined May 2003

Jun 23, 2005 17:45 |  #9

Most of my macros are with the 28-135. on the rings of the lens you will notice a marking called 'macro'. When you get in real close, its just there. I also have a 100 2.8 macro but I still like the results of the 28-135 for most things. Its a great lens and the best all round for a walk-around, although some here don't care for it. I have had great luck. Most of the images here were taken with it - http://groups.msn.com …alDemand/wildfl​owers.msnw (external link)

http://www.barbsmithph​otography.com (external link)

J ­ Rabin
Goldmember
1,496 posts
Joined Aug 2004

Jun 23, 2005 17:50 as a reply to  @ judyg's post |  #10

Judy.
Not a stupid question, but you already know the answer, and you already know you know the answer, because the salmon/peach colored rose, with selective focus at the top of sepals, is too damn good not to know!

The macro idiot mode on the camera means nothing. It's logic just tries, depending on ambient light, to select an f/stop that is moderate, and above the minmum of the lens' lowest open f/stop to give the user some depth of field. So, with a 28-135, which is an f/5.6 lens, the camera will try and select f/8, etc., if it can. It behaves similar to the portrait idiot mode, which is equally useless.

The macro designation on the lens also means nothing more than a marketing ploy. It means that when the lens is at it's closest focus setting, the magnification level is 0.2x,or 0.3x life size or something similar. Most telephotos like those you listed have a magnification of about 0.2x +/-. Real macro is 1x, i.e., life size.
But, close focus at less than 1x. say 0.2x is darn fun. Enjoy it.

Just keep running the camera in M and enjoy it!
J

Leorooster
Cream of the Crop
6,749 posts
Joined May 2005

Jun 23, 2005 20:28 |  #11

Judy - if you only shot flower close ups, your 28-135 and 75-300 should give you a pretty good magnification (about .2x and .25x, respectively). If you want to shot something smaller, such as small insects, other accessories, such as extension tubes and close up filters, or even a dedicated macro lens will give you better resutls. As other mentioned above, true macro means having at least 1x magnification. This link will give you a lot of basic info:

http://www.beautifulbu​gs.com/howto.htm (external link)

Edit: to see some more pics, go to the macro forum:

https://photography-on-the.net/forum/forumdis​play.php?f=38

Canon 1DMarkIII :shock: | Canon 5DII :p | Fujifilm Finepix F30
Glasses & Goodies

DavidEB
Goldmember
3,117 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Jun 24, 2005 12:12 |  #12

here is a shot done using extension tubes on a standard 70-200mm lens. I think they work quite well.

David
my stuff - [URL="http://www.pbase​.com/davideb"]my gallery - [URL="http://photograp​hy-on-the.net/forum/showpost​.php?p=3928125&postcou​nt=1"]go Rats!

judyg
THREAD ­ STARTER
170 posts
Joined May 2005

Jun 24, 2005 13:34 as a reply to  @ DavidEB's post |  #13

You folks are such enablers!

I just ordered the Tamron SP 90 f2.8 macro lens.

Thank you for the explanation of "true macro" I never realized it meant 1:1.

Looking forward to using the macro lens, wishing I paid extra for 1-day shipping :)

sponsored links

2,454 views & 0 likes for this thread
Stupid question about shooting macro
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.