Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 19 Jan 2010 (Tuesday) 03:53
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Please help me choose new lenses for a wedding.

mido
21 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jan 19, 2010 03:53 |  #1

Hi. I'll start with a little bit of story... so, I was interested in photography since I was little kid. Most of my family was. But I never had any money to buy one :(
Now I'm 23 and I'm about to get married. I thought it would be a good idea to buy my own camera instead of hiring a photograph. So I did. I have bought a Cannon 50D (with standard lens kit). Now since I'm a newbie I'm struggling to choose some lenses for a wedding.
Now I regret that I have bought a kit lens, because I would have more money for some better lenses. Any way... The church is bit dark, but my fiance wants few photos at the altar. The rest of photos would be probably taken outside with the family + couple of standard ones. I don't have much money left. I was thinking about buying a Cannon 50mm 1.8 and maybe a cheap Sigma 70-200mm 2.8. Is that a good choice? Please advise. P.S. I dont need a flash to pull this off, right?

sponsored links
themadman
Cream of the Crop
18,871 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Jan 19, 2010 04:04 |  #2

Oh boy... taking photos of your own wedding or having family members do it (who are not photographers)... this honestly sounds like a recipe for disaster.

If you really want to go through with this let start with two things

1. How much money we got to work with
2. What are the light conditions

Will | WilliamLiuPhotography.​com (external link) | Gear List and Feedback | CPS Member | Have you Pre-Ordered Your 3Dx Yet? | HorusBennu Discussion | In honor of Uncle Steve, thanks for everything! 10-5-2011

mido
THREAD ­ STARTER
21 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jan 19, 2010 04:17 |  #3

Told you that my family is into photography and few of them were pro in film era. Church is bit dark, outside... well it will depend from the June weather. I didn't set the budget but I was thinking about 400-600 GBP range (660 - 990 USD)

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Jan 19, 2010 04:21 |  #4

mido wrote in post #9423914 (external link)
Hi. I'll start with a little bit of story... so, I was interested in photography since I was little kid. Most of my family was. But I never had any money to buy one :(

Hey save this. It can be your "About Me" page for your website.

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it here (external link). Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid! (external link)

mido
THREAD ­ STARTER
21 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jan 19, 2010 04:25 |  #5

cdifoto wrote in post #9423970 (external link)
Hey save this. It can be your "About Me" page for your website.

Just wanted to explain myself a bit why I'm going to shoot my own wedding. So you won't be so pissy...

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Jan 19, 2010 04:26 |  #6

Hey nice one. You'll fit in well here. :D

Seriously though...haven't you noticed how just about every photographer got a camera from grandpa when they were 3 and haven't stopped shooting ever since? :lol:

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it here (external link). Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid! (external link)

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Jan 19, 2010 04:27 |  #7

I'd recommend lenses but I don't know what stuff costs over there (I'm in the USA).

mido
THREAD ­ STARTER
21 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jan 19, 2010 04:32 |  #8

Don't worry the prices are bit bigger when u convert USD to GBP, but feel free to advise :)

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Jan 19, 2010 04:40 |  #9

I think you could do well with the 17-55 IS. I'd not hesitate to shoot an entire wedding with that lens. It's probably way over budget though because it's about $1000 USD over here, I think, and we're kind of spoiled with pricing.

mido
THREAD ­ STARTER
21 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jan 19, 2010 04:43 |  #10

50D comes with 17-85. But I don't think this lens will work well in church.)

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Jan 19, 2010 04:44 |  #11

That's not the lens I recommended.

Retouch ­ UK
224 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Jan 19, 2010 04:44 as a reply to  @ mido's post |  #12

Prices are pretty much $1 to £1

We get ripped off big time :)

A lot of the good wedding lenses are out of the price range that you have suggested. You may be able to pick up a good prime with that though but you will loose the flexability of a zoom. Something like the 50 1.4 would be within the price range. Id probably skip over the 1.8.

http://www.warehouseex​press.com …50mm-f1-4-usm-lens/p12813 (external link)

Have a look on the wedding section and see what they are using there. Seriously I think you would be better hiring someone who is experienced to do your wedding. After all its a once of a lifetime thing, maybe :)

Chris

mike-s
61 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Jan 19, 2010 04:46 as a reply to  @ cdifoto's post |  #13

The 17-55 f2.8 IS is a good choice but well outside your budget, unless you can pick up a good used example. Personally I would go for 2 fast primes. The 50mm f1.8 and the excellent 85mm f1.8 will cost you about £400 here. This will leave you depending on your kit zoom for anything wide-angle but you can't have everything.

Go for fast lenses. Zoom with your feet.

Mike: 5D3, 6D, 40D, 50mm f2.5, 85mm f1.8, 50mm f1.8STM, 17-40L, 24-105 f4L IS, 70-200 f2.8 L IS, 2x580EX flashes, EX380 flash

Retouch ­ UK
224 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Jan 19, 2010 04:46 |  #14

cdifoto wrote in post #9424005 (external link)
I think you could do well with the 17-55 IS. I'd not hesitate to shoot an entire wedding with that lens. It's probably way over budget though because it's about $1000 USD over here, I think, and we're kind of spoiled with pricing.

Id highly recomend this lens. Only reason I didnt mention it before is that it is over budget. If you can stretch to it though the lens is well worth it.

mido
THREAD ­ STARTER
21 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jan 19, 2010 04:49 as a reply to  @ mido's post |  #15

I was thinking of Cannon 50mm 1.8 for some headshoots etc (about 65-75 GBP) and perhaps something faster than my standard lens for church and family shoots. The sigma I mentioned is pretty cheap but I don't know if this is a good idea.

sponsored links

3,961 views & 0 likes for this thread
Please help me choose new lenses for a wedding.
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.