Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Astronomy & Celestial 
Thread started 19 Jan 2010 (Tuesday) 06:28
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Horse and Flame (Again)

chris.bailey
Goldmember
2,061 posts
Joined Jul 2003

Jan 19, 2010 06:28 |  #1

After several weeks of cloudy skies and temperatures that dont encourage fair weather folk like I to venture outside, we finally had a reasonable evening on Sunday last.

Session was plagued with issues with guiding which limited total imaging time to just over an hour before Orion sank beneath the trees at the bottom of my garden. I also forgot to screw the LP filter back onto my imaging train meaning the spacing to the field flattener was 12mm out resulting in slight elongation of the stars towards the periphery of the frame. Annoying as I had spent an age getting adjustable spacers so I had it spot on.

If we get another clear evening any time soon I will add some longer subs to try and get a little more detail in the darker areas.

IMAGE: http://www.pbase.com/chris_bailey/image/121187887.jpg

17 x 4 minute frames captured in Maxim DL from SXVM25C CCD through W/O FLT110 and FLT Field Flattener. Guided with PHD using SX Lodestar guider through W/O Zenithstar 70. Aligned, stacked and processed with PixInsight.

ps a warning to EQ6 mount users or similar. If you do a Sysnscan software update the tracking is reset to off. Sounds simple but took an age to find out why the mount would not make any effort to follow things.

sponsored links
Adrena1in
Goldmember
1,703 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Jan 19, 2010 07:25 |  #2

Superb...making me itch to get out again, (not that I will ever produce something that good!)

Canon EOS 450D, Sigma 18-200mm, Canon 50mm f/2.5 Macro, 2x TC, Revelation 12" f/5 Dobsonian, Mintron PD2285-EX webcam.

chris.bailey
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,061 posts
Joined Jul 2003

Jan 19, 2010 07:40 |  #3

Adrena1in wrote in post #9424539 (external link)
Superb...making me itch to get out again, (not that I will ever produce something that good!)

It was my first time out for over a month and I was decidedly rusty. Woudl be nice to have a run of clear evenings but we just dont seem to get them now....when I was a lad :-)

Adrena1in
Goldmember
1,703 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Jan 19, 2010 08:36 |  #4

There have been a few clear nights for me lately, but the thought of lumbering everything outside to get it all set up, and on a "school night", as opposed to going upstairs to a warm bed...well it's no contest really!

Hopefully picking up a Pier in the next week or two, so you never know, it might encourage me to get out more.

Canon EOS 450D, Sigma 18-200mm, Canon 50mm f/2.5 Macro, 2x TC, Revelation 12" f/5 Dobsonian, Mintron PD2285-EX webcam.

Catanonia
968 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Jan 19, 2010 10:53 |  #5

mmmm, just got an Off Axis Guider and this is back on the list for some serious imaging.

Managed 30min subs the other night testing it out on M33 :)

Can't wait for clear skies and 30+ min subs, got the darks already for the processing the other night after it started raining.

The picture is lovely and very beautiful with great colours Chris. Always looked at your pics when I started out and you are definately better than 6 months ago. Great framing and love the detail in the paddock. Wonder what it would look like if you increased the sub length :)

MY NEW WEBSITE : www.portrait-universe.com (external link)

chris.bailey
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,061 posts
Joined Jul 2003

Jan 19, 2010 11:20 |  #6

Thanks Cat, as ever there is always a few things you would do differently. Had planned to go to 6 min subs on this one until I had all the hassles with guiding at all.

Good luck with the OAG, fine when there are plenty of stars in the vicinity but for some targets it can be tricky to find a suitable guide star. It does avoid the differential flex issues but thats not really a problem I have experienced. If I was going along that line I would go adaptive optics.

DonR
262 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Jan 19, 2010 13:16 |  #7

Very nice, Chris. You captured some of the dark nebulosity that is seldom seen in this subject.

Don

chris.bailey
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,061 posts
Joined Jul 2003

Jan 19, 2010 13:31 |  #8

Thanks Don. I had thought it was noise and was trying to get rid of it until I looked at some other images of the area.

troypiggo
Goldmember
4,743 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Jan 19, 2010 14:16 |  #9

Very nice. You've got a jump-start on the challenge ;)

"Interesting. You're afraid of insects and women. Ladybugs must render you catatonic." - Sheldon
Flickr (external link) | Gear List | Macro Rig | Astro Rig | Astro Software Post

NovaTJ
552 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jan 19, 2010 15:46 as a reply to  @ troypiggo's post |  #10

Wow Chris!! Very nice! I'm so jealous!:)

Greg

Astro-Tech 8" f/4 imaging Newtonian,Baader MPCC,Orion ED 80 APO F7.5,Skywatcher EQ-6 Pro,ASGT, Modified Canon 50D, Meade DSI Guide Camera, 8" SCT dovetail mounted relic, Criterion Dynascope RV-6, modified 300D, custom astro shed,and still just getting started!

Dusty
Goldmember
1,151 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Sep 2006

Jan 21, 2010 08:51 as a reply to  @ NovaTJ's post |  #11

Very nice Chris.
Good framing too.
It's so annoying when the mount plays up.
I once had just finished drift alignment when there was a temp power outage, just a second or two and then back on but when I fired my first sub, it was trailing like crazy.
Turns out that on powerup, the mount resets itself to northern hemisphere mode, LOL.

Wish the weather would cooperate, it's been terrible this season.
Unless it improves, I think the only chance I'll have at this object is to do a repro on some old data.

Looking forward to more from you.

Dusty

:)

Dusty
20Da, 7D MkII, 5DII,1DX, 16-35L , 24-105L , 85L , 135L , 200L f/2.8 , 300L f/2.8 , MP-E 65

sponsored links

2,244 views & 0 likes for this thread
Horse and Flame (Again)
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Astronomy & Celestial 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.