Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Astronomy & Celestial 
Thread started 20 Jan 2010 (Wednesday) 07:24
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Challenge #5 - IC434, Barnard33 (Horse) and NGC2024 (Flame) region

chris.bailey
Goldmember
2,061 posts
Joined Jul 2003

Jan 20, 2010 07:24 |  #1

Its a while since we had a challenge running and the last object was not possible for several of us. Hopefully Horse and Flame should be widely visible and fairly easy to locate. Its also an obhect that is fairly easy to get something of but hard to fully do justice to. I also think it is one of the more spectacular regions of the sky.

As ever this is a bit of fun and a means of sharing some images. If everyone posting an image could also include a brief description including when captured, equipment used, imaging method and processing it perhaps gives everyone some pointers and something to try next time around.

I would suggest we let this run for a while as, in the UK at least, cloud free evenings are rarer than a tax refund. I would suggest therefore we let it run to the end of Feb, i'll then set up a voting poll.

ps yes I did grab a bit of a headstart on this one but have every intention of doing something a little different for the challenge.

sponsored links
Catanonia
968 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Jan 20, 2010 13:18 |  #2

chris.bailey wrote in post #9432252 (external link)
Its a while since we had a challenge running and the last object was not possible for several of us. Hopefully Horse and Flame should be widely visible and fairly easy to locate. Its also an obhect that is fairly easy to get something of but hard to fully do justice to. I also think it is one of the more spectacular regions of the sky.

As ever this is a bit of fun and a means of sharing some images. If everyone posting an image could also include a brief description including when captured, equipment used, imaging method and processing it perhaps gives everyone some pointers and something to try next time around.

I would suggest we let this run for a while as, in the UK at least, cloud free evenings are rarer than a tax refund. I would suggest therefore we let it run to the end of Feb, i'll then set up a voting poll.

ps yes I did grab a bit of a headstart on this one but have every intention of doing something a little different for the challenge.

sweet, i am in for this one starting a fresh with new data :)

MY NEW WEBSITE : www.portrait-universe.com (external link)

Adrena1in
Goldmember
1,703 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Jan 21, 2010 04:27 |  #3

Catanonia wrote in post #9434170 (external link)
sweet, i am in for this one starting a fresh with new data :)

Excellent, I prefer it when people grab new data, rather than posting an image they've already created in the past. I've never captured the Horsehead other than very faintly on a wide-field image, so I'm keen to see what I can manage.

Canon EOS 450D, Sigma 18-200mm, Canon 50mm f/2.5 Macro, 2x TC, Revelation 12" f/5 Dobsonian, Mintron PD2285-EX webcam.

Catanonia
968 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Jan 23, 2010 07:37 |  #4

Total cloud so far this week :(

Adrena1in
Goldmember
1,703 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Jan 23, 2010 11:38 |  #5

Yep, same here obviously, and won't be long before Orion's out of reach for me, (though when I get my pier in I'll have a better view of the South West...at the moment I can't really shoot anything in the west at all).

Canon EOS 450D, Sigma 18-200mm, Canon 50mm f/2.5 Macro, 2x TC, Revelation 12" f/5 Dobsonian, Mintron PD2285-EX webcam.

NovaTJ
552 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jan 24, 2010 00:07 as a reply to  @ Adrena1in's post |  #6

I know I am a real amature at this, but I will give it another try perhaps with a different setup. Clouds began rolling in Friday night just after I set-up. It doesn't look good for this next week either.

Greg

Stafford, VA (external link)

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

32°F
Current: Mostly Cloudy
Wind: N at 0 mph
Humidity: 100%

Astro-Tech 8" f/4 imaging Newtonian,Baader MPCC,Orion ED 80 APO F7.5,Skywatcher EQ-6 Pro,ASGT, Modified Canon 50D, Meade DSI Guide Camera, 8" SCT dovetail mounted relic, Criterion Dynascope RV-6, modified 300D, custom astro shed,and still just getting started!

chris.bailey
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,061 posts
Joined Jul 2003

Jan 26, 2010 05:52 |  #7

Catanonia wrote in post #9453415 (external link)
Total cloud so far this week :(

Possibly clear tonight. CCD has had some major surgery to clear some dust on the sensor so fingers crossed. If its clear I'm going to try and get a single 40 minute exposure and 10 x 4 minute exposures and see what happens.

NovaTJ
552 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jan 26, 2010 09:02 as a reply to  @ chris.bailey's post |  #8

Good luck on the 40 minute exposure...I can't even begin to imagine what a 40 minute exposure would look like. Hope you have clear dark skies Chris!

Astro-Tech 8" f/4 imaging Newtonian,Baader MPCC,Orion ED 80 APO F7.5,Skywatcher EQ-6 Pro,ASGT, Modified Canon 50D, Meade DSI Guide Camera, 8" SCT dovetail mounted relic, Criterion Dynascope RV-6, modified 300D, custom astro shed,and still just getting started!

chris.bailey
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,061 posts
Joined Jul 2003

Jan 26, 2010 09:17 |  #9

Greg, once you have guiding sorted there is not really any limit. I have read conflicting articles about sub length and though I tend to the shorter and lots of em camp, I would like to see for myself. If successful I'll post up the results.

Sky is clear but the moon will be just above Orion this evening which may scupper my plans.

smallmadtv
48 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Feb 04, 2010 03:53 |  #10

Hi all,

Here is my contribution to the Horsehead Nebulae Challenge:
Done with my Canon 350d (modded) on a skywatcher 80ED + Neq6 Pro mount.
This image is a compilation 60 lights for a total of about 5h30.
20 x 3min + 5 darks (800 Iso)
20 x 5min + 5 darks (800 Iso)
20 x 10min + 5 darks (800 Iso)
+ 20 Flats
+ 50 Offsets
Of course, it's autoguided... All images done in one night in Italy during my holidays... at 1350m with -7°C....
Processed in DeepSkyStaker and PhotoShop
I give you my big one...

IMAGE: http://www.cieletespace.fr/files/imagecache/img_400x_scale/files/challenge/tete.jpg
Click here for the Bif one:
http://www.cieletespac​e.fr/files/challenge/t​ete.jpg (external link)

Hope you like it!
Andy

http://www.smallmadtv.​com (external link)
[Material List]

Adrena1in
Goldmember
1,703 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Feb 04, 2010 05:02 |  #11

smallmadtv wrote in post #9537920 (external link)
Hope you like it!
Andy

No, no I don't...I really REALLY like it!! bw!

chris.bailey
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,061 posts
Joined Jul 2003

Feb 04, 2010 09:28 |  #12

Yep, that has set a very high standard to compete with.

Catanonia
968 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Feb 06, 2010 11:29 |  #13

At last my submission

Shot on the ED120 Skywatcher Diamond Black Pro with Modded EOS1000D with Astronomik LP filter.

Guided with ED80 and QHY5 / PHD

About 2.5 hours of 10min and 5min subs at ISO 800

Here is a link to the thread with all the image details in it.. https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=822757

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
Content warning: NOT AN IMAGE

ady.space
431 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Feb 10, 2010 16:44 as a reply to  @ Catanonia's post |  #14

hi all, ok so this is my photo of old horse head and friends also my first go at ha imaging and also my first light with my new modded 1000d. taken over two nights, as you can see the stacking came out abit wrong:oops: its realy hard framing with a 135mm lens and a ha filter in place. anyway it about 20x10mins iso 1600 f/4 mounted on my astro trac the lens is a cheep carl ziess 135mm lens that i got from a car boot for a £5 and im, realy happy with it so far. nearly for got no darks and no flats. thanks for looking ady

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i605.photobucke​t.com …rsehead3hr20min​hacopy.jpg (external link)

canon d6,canon d1000(modded) canon 200mm f/2.8,canon 20mm f/2.8, canon 50mm f/1.8 samyang 14mm f/2.8, carl ziess 35mm f/2.4

Catanonia
968 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Mar 02, 2010 18:05 |  #15

bump, almost forgot about this

Anymore takers ?

sponsored links

4,301 views & 0 likes for this thread
Challenge #5 - IC434, Barnard33 (Horse) and NGC2024 (Flame) region
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Astronomy & Celestial 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.