Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 20 Jan 2010 (Wednesday) 07:28
Search threadPrev/next
POLL: "How many MPX do you use?"
< 10
20%
>= 10 - < 12
31.4%
>= 12 - < 18
34.3%
>= 18
14.3%

35 voters, 35 votes given (1 choice only choices can be voted per member)). VOTING IS FOR MEMBERS ONLY.
BROWSE ALL POLLS
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

I need MPX!

Dawud
392 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Jan 20, 2010 07:28 |  #1

Hi everybody,

I wanted to know how much megapixels everybody uses and why?
Do you really need that?

For me, I shoot my Canon 5D Classic on medium. So my 12mpx camera does 8mpx and all the images I see on my screen and the ones I print (10*15cm) look fine. My files are only 2.5 - 3.5mb big, so it doesn't take a lot of space. I don't see why I need 21mpx...

Camera • lenses

sponsored links
jra
Cream of the Crop
6,568 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Jan 20, 2010 07:52 |  #2

I would bet that for the vast majority of people, 6-8MP is plenty of resolution to do what they need. Of course, if you've got the storage space, there's no harm shooting at higher resolutions.

Karl ­ Johnston
Cream of the Crop
9,334 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Jan 20, 2010 08:08 |  #3
bannedPermanent ban

I get a lot of demand for large sizes. 13x19" is as small as I do, with 24x36'' reasonably being the largest size I can economically do...unless commissioned to do a larger one I have my hands tied by high shipping costs.

Largest I've ever went was 40x60"ish and not had problems. Larger the print, the further back you have to be anyway.

13x19" you need to be back at least 4 feet to properly see it.

Adventurous Photographer, Writer (external link) & Wedding Photographer (external link)

ssim
POTN Landscape & Cityscape Photographer 2005
10,884 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Jan 20, 2010 13:01 |  #4

Dawud wrote in post #9432270 (external link)
I don't see why I need 21mpx...

The question is then why did you buy a camera that gave you way more than you need.

A large component of my work comes through an advertising agency and they want huge files (50mb+) so the larger sized cameras work for me. I do some very large prints and the larger sensor along with Genuine Fractals allows me to do this with a minimum of loss of quality.

I will often shoot my weddings in JPG to minimize space and knowing full well that the largest thing the couple is going to order is maybe a 16x20. The space saved from doing this over shooting CR2's is pretty significant.

My life is like one big RAW file....way too much post processing needed.
Sheldon Simpson | My Gallery (external link) | My Gear updated: 20JUL12

Persephone
Goldmember
1,122 posts
Joined May 2008

Jan 20, 2010 13:32 |  #5

ssim wrote in post #9434058 (external link)
The question is then why did you buy a camera that gave you way more than you need.

Er...OP hasn't bought the 5D Mark II. OP is just wondering about whether he/she would ever need to use 21 MP. Unfortunately Canon doesn't offer the same model in different MPs. So if one were require full frame and HD video, one have to have the 21 megapixels.

Gear list
"Do you think it was my choice to wed a man I did not love? Live a life I did not choose? I was betrayed by the very gods that once saw me as their own. But no more." - Περσεφόνη (external link), God of War

DStanic
Cream of the Crop
6,148 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Jan 20, 2010 19:56 |  #6

Shooting at 8 and 10mp (not really much difference) is usually fine for what I do. I can crop moderately and still retain good detail.

I would love to have a 5DmkII, for portraits and weddings I could shoot at full resolution for incredible detail. For regular shooting, sRAW1 is 10mp which is a great size to work with. Of course the 5DmkII might have more detail in sRAW1 then a 30D or 40d, so shooting at sRAW1 for almost everything could be possible!

Sony A6000, 16-50PZ, 55-210, 35mm 1.8 OSS
Canon 60D, 30D
Tamron 28-75 2.8, Tamron 17-35, Sigma 50mm 1.4, Canon 85mm 1.8

Karl ­ Johnston
Cream of the Crop
9,334 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Jan 20, 2010 20:14 |  #7
bannedPermanent ban

Persephone wrote in post #9434259 (external link)
Er...OP hasn't bought the 5D Mark II. OP is just wondering about whether he/she would ever need to use 21 MP. Unfortunately Canon doesn't offer the same model in different MPs. So if one were require full frame and HD video, one have to have the 21 megapixels.

The OP can shoot in SRAW or SRAW if they want to use different amounts.

Adventurous Photographer, Writer (external link) & Wedding Photographer (external link)

bsaber
I have no idea what's going on
3,536 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Jan 20, 2010 21:21 |  #8

There's only a few times where I needed the high MP that the 1Ds2 offers. And those were printed HUGE.

Veemac
Goldmember
2,098 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Jan 21, 2010 01:14 |  #9

My 50D shoots 15 megapixels, so that's what I use. I seldom see any reason to shoot at a lower resolution...I can always downsize the images, but it's much harder to upsize if I got a real great image and decided I'd like to do a large print of it.

Truth be told, I don't "need" anything when it comes to photography - I'm a hobbyist shooting purely for my own enjoyment, so "need" doesn't factor into the equation. If I were a pro relying upon my camera gear to put food on the table, then I would have "needs".

Mac
-Stuff I Use-

JeffreyG
"my bits and pieces are all hard"
15,530 posts
Gallery: 42 photos
Joined Jan 2007

Jan 21, 2010 05:39 |  #10

I have 10MP, 12MP and 12.8MP cameras. The number of pixels between them are similar but the IQ is not really.

I've made prints up to 20x30 with a 10 MP image and the resolution was absolutely up to the task. Since that is the biggest I ever print, I see no real need for higher pixels counts.

High pixel counts are lumped in with the group of features that make absolutely no difference to me in picking a new camera.

My personal stuff:http://www.flickr.com/​photos/jngirbach/sets/ (external link)
I use a Canon 5DIII and a Sony A7rIII

neilwood32
Cream of the Crop
6,231 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Jan 21, 2010 07:32 |  #11

Veemac wrote in post #9438294 (external link)
My 50D shoots 15 megapixels, so that's what I use. I seldom see any reason to shoot at a lower resolution...I can always downsize the images, but it's much harder to upsize if I got a real great image and decided I'd like to do a large print of it.

Truth be told, I don't "need" anything when it comes to photography - I'm a hobbyist shooting purely for my own enjoyment, so "need" doesn't factor into the equation. If I were a pro relying upon my camera gear to put food on the table, then I would have "needs".

That matches up with my situation almost perfectly.

If you capture the full image and store it at full size, you have the maximum scope for future printing/PP.

Imagine if you capture the shot of a lifetime. You want to print it as large as possible so why not capture and store it as large as possible.

Storage these days is so cheap that I personally dont see the reason not to have as big a file as possible

Having a camera makes you no more a photographer than having a hammer and some nails makes you a carpenter - Claude Adams
Keep calm and carry a camera!
My Gear

sponsored links

1,195 views & 0 likes for this thread
I need MPX!
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.