Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 23 Jan 2010 (Saturday) 17:22
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Good, cheap, adapted 50mm?

laydros
444 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jan 23, 2010 17:22 |  #1

I have the 50/1.8 II and I don't care much for the junky build, and I would like to have a faster 50. I'm concerned about the 50/1.4 because of the AF motor problems many have, and I just don't want to spend 350-400 on something that feels like a compromise. I may eventually end up with the Sigma or the Zeiss, I'm kinda hoping Canon releases an updated one like Nikon just did.

But for now I would like to find an older MF lens and adapt it. I'm assuming since tons and tons of 50s get made it should be fairly cheap, I'm just looking for ideas.

I realize I would need stop down metering, but expect I will be using it wide open a lot anyway. And of course manual focusing. I shoot Canon FD a lot and enjoy it, I may pick up the super-precision screen for my 5D.

So, any ideas? I know the Minolta 55/1.2 is a favorite, but it won't be cheap, and isn't easy to adapt. I'm hoping to spend something close to $100 for lens and adapter, willing to go KEH, ebay, etc. If it will be much more expensive than that, I may just go ahead and get the Canon 1.4.

Hoping for decent bokeh, fairly easy to adapt (are AF-confirm worthwhile?), decent build, preferably faster than f/1.8. To the best of my knowledge, Nikon, Pentax, and M42 seem to be plentiful and easy to adapt. I'm shooting a 5D so mirror clearance is an issue.

Jason Hamilton - flickr (external link) - Twitter (external link) - laydros.org (external link)
Canon 5D, 24-85 f/3.5-4.5 USM, 35 f/2, 50 f/1.8 II, 85mm f/1.8 USM, 70-210 f/3.5-4.5 USM, 100mm f/2.8 Macro, 430EX
Nikon FE, 35/2, 50/1.8, 105/2.5 and Mamiya C220 Complete Gear List.

sponsored links
gasrocks
Cream of the Crop
13,432 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Jan 23, 2010 17:30 |  #2

There is no Minolta 55/1.2. Nikon 50/1.8 or 50/2 is better than Canon's 50/1.8 and cheap. Look at my gear list for a few more ideas.

GEAR LIST

tkbslc
Cream of the Crop
24,586 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Jan 23, 2010 17:31 |  #3

For $100 you have a ton of options. Pretty much any of the major brands basic 50mm f1.4 could be found for that price. As a start, I would look at:

Olympus MC Zuiko 50mm f1.4
Yashica ML 50mm f1.4
SMC Takumar 50mm f1.4
Sears/Rikenon/Mamiya 55mm f1.4 in m42 mount

Should be able to get any of those under a $100 with a little patience

As for mounts, there are a lot that are cake to adapt. Olympus OM, Nikon F, m42 (pentax screwmount), Leica R, Contax/Yashica are the most common and simply need a basic metal ring adapter. Canon and Minolta should be overlooked, IMO, due to conversion complexity.

The Nikkor f1.2's are pretty soft wide open, so really only get them if you want to play around with the super soft bokeh at f1.2. It kind of looks hazy and soft focus and you can create some very artistic shots with it. Otherwise the 50mm f1.4's from everyone else are a better buy and better glass.

Now if you want REALLY cheap, I just got a Yashica ML 50mm f2 in the mail today. Paid $13 shipped. It is actually very good.

Sample (best winter flowers I could find :))

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i416.photobucke​t.com …ns%20samples/IM​G_3839.jpg (external link)

Taylor
Galleries: Flickr (external link)
EOS Rp | iPhone 11 Pro Max

rtester
357 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Jan 23, 2010 17:38 |  #4

If have tried so many and can say that for less then $100 you can do just fine. A fine one would be the SMC Pentax Takamur 50 1.4, Very nice lens that should go for between 60-80. Although just a year ago they could be had for much less. Not all of these will completely clear the 5d mirror at infinity and it seems to depend on the camera. Either way just a hair off of infinity is the fix. Any m42 China made adapter seems to be the same as any other.

The Olympus Zukio OM 1.8 can be had for between 20-50 depending on who knows what? Again any adapter will work the same as another, and there is no issues that I know of in adapting to the 5d.

Chipped adapters are available for a higher price and they will give you an af confirm beep or solid.

You can most likely pick up a Zeiss Jena M42 50 2.8 pretty much all over ebay for between 40 on up.

tkbslc
Cream of the Crop
24,586 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Jan 23, 2010 17:45 |  #5

I just realized you have a 5D, so you will have to research if the lenses I recommended can clear the mirror. I don't worry about that stuff since I shoot crop.

Taylor
Galleries: Flickr (external link)
EOS Rp | iPhone 11 Pro Max

laydros
THREAD ­ STARTER
444 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jan 23, 2010 17:52 |  #6

gasrocks wrote in post #9456076 (external link)
There is no Minolta 55/1.2. Nikon 50/1.8 or 50/2 is better than Canon's 50/1.8 and cheap. Look at my gear list for a few more ideas.

Is it Minolta 58 that I'm thinking about? Or was it a 55/1.4?

Jason Hamilton - flickr (external link) - Twitter (external link) - laydros.org (external link)
Canon 5D, 24-85 f/3.5-4.5 USM, 35 f/2, 50 f/1.8 II, 85mm f/1.8 USM, 70-210 f/3.5-4.5 USM, 100mm f/2.8 Macro, 430EX

KenjiS
"Holy crap its long!"
21,388 posts
Gallery: 572 photos
Joined Oct 2008

Jan 23, 2010 17:54 as a reply to  @ laydros's post |  #7

Figures someone else is asking the question i wanted to ask! :)

I'm watching a Takumar or two on ebay but was looking for other ideas, ill look for a Yashica or a Zuiko as well

Gear, New and Old! RAW Club Member
Wanted: 70-200. Time and good health
Deviantart (external link)
Flickr (This is where my good stuff is!) (external link)

laydros
THREAD ­ STARTER
444 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jan 23, 2010 18:08 |  #8

What do you have to do to get these to stop down? Do the adapters handle that? Or do you have to do something to modify the lens to get the stop down lever to stay in place?

KenjiS
"Holy crap its long!"
21,388 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Jan 23, 2010 18:10 |  #9

laydros wrote in post #9456259 (external link)
What do you have to do to get these to stop down? Do the adapters handle that? Or do you have to do something to modify the lens to get the stop down lever to stay in place?

Basically you turn the aperture ring, the aperture closes and things get dark

ie, unlike normal lenses they dont stop down before exposure but stay stopped down, just like the good old days

laydros
THREAD ­ STARTER
444 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jan 23, 2010 18:25 |  #10

KenjiS wrote in post #9456270 (external link)
Basically you turn the aperture ring, the aperture closes and things get dark

ie, unlike normal lenses they dont stop down before exposure but stay stopped down, just like the good old days

I know my Canon FD lenses and Pentax K lenses I have used still have a stop down lever... even back then the body would let you focus wide open and then hit the lever to stop down to the selected aperture. I'm not sure if m42 is that way, but I'm pretty sure Nikon is as well.

KenjiS
"Holy crap its long!"
21,388 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Jan 23, 2010 18:28 |  #11

laydros wrote in post #9456356 (external link)
I know my Canon FD lenses and Pentax K lenses I have used still have a stop down lever... even back then the body would let you focus wide open and then hit the lever to stop down to the selected aperture. I'm not sure if m42 is that way, but I'm pretty sure Nikon is as well.

But when you're adapting them theres no coupling

So basically turning the aperture ring to the aperture you want stops it down all the time.its like DOF preview is stuck on constantly..

Madweasel
Cream of the Crop
6,224 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Jan 23, 2010 18:30 |  #12

laydros wrote in post #9456356 (external link)

Yes, but they require a mechanical actuator to operate them, which the EOS mount does not have. That means you can focus wide open, but then you have to manually adjust the aperture to the value you want and then fire. The alternative is to try to focus with it already stopped down and therefore rather dark.

Mark.

laydros
THREAD ­ STARTER
444 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jan 23, 2010 18:38 |  #13

Madweasel wrote in post #9456388 (external link)
Yes, but they require a mechanical actuator to operate them, which the EOS mount does not have. That means you can focus wide open, but then you have to manually adjust the aperture to the value you want and then fire. The alternative is to try to focus with it already stopped down and therefore rather dark.

Right, I understand that, but does the adapter hold the aperture lever in the right place, or do you have to modify the lens.

Example, with the Pentax K lenses or Canon FD lenses, when you turn the aperture ring nothing happens to the aperture. The aperture stays wide open until you press the actuator, at which point the lens stops down to the aperture selected on the ring. If my 50/1.8 is mounted on my AE-1 and I move the aperture ring from 1.8 to f/8, the viewfinder doesn't get darker, it moves the actuator as it opens the shutter.

RPCrowe
Cream of the Crop
8,271 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Jan 23, 2010 19:10 as a reply to  @ laydros's post |  #14

Forget the Canon FD lenses

Although these lenses have great optics (the FD 50mm 1.8 has slightly better IQ than either of the EF 50mm f/1.8 lenses), you cannot adapt them with any success to the EF mounts. I would expect that Canon did this purposefully so Canon FD lens owners would be forced to purchase new EF lenses!. A mechanical adapter, which doesn't contain any optics, will not allow the manual focus Canon lenses to focus at infinity. The adapter which contains optical elements will allow focus to infinity but it is hard to find and usually quite expensive if you can find one. Then it degrades the IQ considerably.

Adapters work for other brand lenses on Canon EF cameras. But, you are still stuck with manual focusing on a camera which was not really engineered for focusing manually.

I would opt for a used 50mm f/1.8 Mark I lens which has a better build than the flimsy Mark II that replaced it. The Mark II was not meant as an improvement over the Mark I (and it certainly wasn't any improvement) it was simply a cost cutting method to be able to sell the lower line Rebel 35mm film cameras at an attractive price.

The Mark-I would allow you to use AF. I skipped an entire generation of Canon SLR cameras, the EF line, because I thought that I could manually focus better and faster than auto focus. I cannot! I am firmly in the auto focus camp now days.

See my images at http://rpcrowe.smugmug​.com/ (external link)

laydros
THREAD ­ STARTER
444 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jan 23, 2010 19:35 |  #15

I realize the FD lenses will not adapt to EF without signifigant compromises. Pentax K glass will adapt to crop pretty well, but the aperture lever can be an issue with full frame. I posted this question to find out more about the easily adapted lenses like m42, Oly, and Nikon, which I don't know much about.

I think you have a good point that these cameras were not designed for manual focus, which is part of the reason I don't want to spend a ton of money. However I think the large VF of the 5D combined with the precision matte screen might be pretty good for MF.

I would probably shoot my A-1 more than my 5D if digital wasn't so darn free on a shot to shot basis. There are some cases I couldn't imagine not having AF, but for a lot of what I do, MF is just as good.

sponsored links

2,498 views & 0 likes for this thread
Good, cheap, adapted 50mm?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.