Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 27 Jan 2010 (Wednesday) 12:16
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

O....kay - Can someone critique my settings please?

Gel
Goldmember
1,145 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Jan 27, 2010 12:16 |  #1

I've just done my first wedding and wan to get my colour settings right for printing.

Equipment used:

Spyder 3 Elite with calibrated profile
Canon 5D MkII, images taken in sRGB
Canon Pixma Pro9000 Printer
Ilford Gallerie paper and correct printer profile for the paper.

Software used :

Lightroom 2 setting - Edit in Photoshop CS4 with PhotoRGB colorspace - (Does this matter if I use the 'burn full sized Jpeg' option)?

Photoshop CS4:
Proof setup = Monitor RGB,
Working Spaces: RGB : sRGB - Option there for 'monitor RGB'

If I go to assign a color profile it is set to Working RGB: sRGB, however if I look I can assign a profile that is the printer profile for my Ilford paper, but selecting that makes the image a bit washed out?

Any help is, as always, appreciated.

Chris Giles Photography

sponsored links
HankScorpio
Goldmember
2,700 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Jan 27, 2010 13:05 |  #2

Gel wrote in post #9482652 (external link)

No, this wants to be your paper ICC profile.

sRGB is correct as long as your image is sRGB and not ProPhoto RGB.

If I go to assign a color profile it is set to Working RGB: sRGB, however if I look I can assign a profile that is the printer profile for my Ilford paper, but selecting that makes the image a bit washed out?

Don't use Assign Profile. If you are trying to softproof then set your paper profile in View > Proof Setup then set proof colours on with View > Proof Colours. If you are trying to convert to a different profile then use Edit > Convert to Profile. Assign profile will attach a profile to the image without changing the colours to the new profile which will cause all kinds of problems.

My collection of boxes with holes (external link)
EXIF semper intacta.
Gort! Klaatu barada nikto.

René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
39,856 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Jan 27, 2010 13:41 |  #3

If you shoot Raw, it doesn't matter what you've set as color space in camera. That setting will only affect in camera preview and histogram (same goes for any other parameters)

Lightroom 2 setting - Edit in Photoshop CS4 with PhotoRGB colorspace - (Does this matter if I use the 'burn full sized Jpeg' option)?

If you use jpg, DO NOT use ProPhotoRGB. It should be used 16bpc only.

Photoshop CS4:

DO NOT proof for monitor. That is the same as viewing non-colormanaged on your monitor (so it will tell you nothing about what anybody else will be seeing.)

DO NOT assign. Ever.

Have a read in the links from my sig.
Until you understand color management, do yourself a favor an use sRGB as working space everywhere.

"I think the idea of art kills creativity" - Douglas Adams
Why Color Management.
Color Problems? Click here.
MySpace (external link)
Get Colormanaged (external link)
Twitter (external link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

Gel
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,145 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Jan 27, 2010 14:32 |  #4

HankScorpio wrote in post #9482956 (external link)
No, this wants to be your paper ICC profile.

So a good methodology would be, for printing, to assign the paper icc profile but for web work to go back to Windows or Monitor RGB?

Chris Giles Photography

HankScorpio
Goldmember
2,700 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Jan 27, 2010 14:37 |  #5

Gel wrote in post #9483493 (external link)
So a good methodology would be, for printing, to assign the paper icc profile but for web work to go back to Windows or Monitor RGB?

Where are you assigning this profile?

Only use your paper profile for soft proofing (View > Proof Colours).

For web, your image should be in sRGB (Edit > Convert to profile).

Never use the Attach profile option (Edit > Attach profile)

Never convert to your Monitor profile or use it for soft proofing, EVER!

My collection of boxes with holes (external link)
EXIF semper intacta.
Gort! Klaatu barada nikto.

Gel
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,145 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Jan 27, 2010 14:43 |  #6

In photoshop it's in :

View -> Proof setup

If I go into Custom I also have: Spyder profile and the Ilford paper profile as a selectable option.

Before that it was set to Monitor RGB

Chris Giles Photography

René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
39,856 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Jan 27, 2010 14:47 |  #7

Randomly changing settings is not the way: You need to understand what you are doing....

One of the links from the "Color problems?" link in my sig, about color managed printing :rolleyes:

http://people.csail.mi​t.edu …on3800/printwor​kflow.html (external link)

And another:

http://www.computer-darkroom.com/ps10_prin​t/ps10_print_1.htm (external link)

These are about Epson printers, but the essence is the same.

"I think the idea of art kills creativity" - Douglas Adams
Why Color Management.
Color Problems? Click here.
MySpace (external link)
Get Colormanaged (external link)
Twitter (external link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Jan 27, 2010 16:32 |  #8

Gel, when you use the "soft proof" of Photoshop, it doesn't convert your image, it just adjusts the preview to give an approximation to what your image would print like, if you set the Proof settings to your proper printer/paper/(ink) profile. Once you get out of the Proof Colors view, you go back to the "normal" Photoshop view.

Something you also need to grasp is that for your purposes it would be simplest to convert to sRGB as part of the "Open" process. Two ways of doing this: the simplest: in your Lightroom Edit in Photoshop dialog, switch the color space to sRGB (by default it is ProPhoto). Photoshop will open it in sRGB now. The second is in your Photoshop Color Preferences: you can set the Photoshop color space to sRGB and then check boxes to assure that an image that is not in sRGB will be converted. You can have yourself notified of this, or just do it automatically.

As has been said, Convert, don't Assign. Assign is for very specific situations that will not apply to an image out of your camera or out of Lightroom.

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

sponsored links

1,301 views & 0 likes for this thread
O....kay - Can someone critique my settings please?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.