Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 27 Jan 2010 (Wednesday) 17:33
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

So does the 5D MkII have better IQ than the MkIV?

Gel
Goldmember
1,145 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Jan 27, 2010 17:33 |  #1

I can't really tell with the web images and that's all I can find.

What's the current consensus?

Noise doesn't appear to be that great, but IQ?

Chris Giles Photography

sponsored links
canonnoob
Cream of the Crop
8,487 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Jan 27, 2010 17:35 |  #2

IQ is phenominal... I think you are comparing two different bodies that in reality have two different functions. You dont think the noise is good? What do you think is "great noise"? Serious question.

Better than the 5dmkII, I think so..

David W.

Gel
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,145 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Jan 27, 2010 17:39 |  #3

From images I can find, whilst really not ideal, it appears the 5D still has less noise.

I know the 1d has technically better pretty much everything else though but am interested in the IQ too.

Chris Giles Photography

canonnoob
Cream of the Crop
8,487 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Jan 27, 2010 17:42 |  #4

Gel wrote in post #9484940 (external link)
From images I can find, whilst really not ideal, it appears the 5D still has less noise.

I know the 1d has technically better pretty much everything else though but am interested in the IQ too.

the mkIV has better IQ and better noise handing.. easily. Im speaking from personal experience with the camera..

David W.

oaktree
Goldmember
1,835 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Jan 27, 2010 17:59 as a reply to  @ canonnoob's post |  #5

Isn't it sort of like comparing a Lexus with a BMW? Both good, both different. I'd like either one. Hey, I've got a 5DmkII and much cheaper than the mkIV, Lexus or BMW!

Too much stuff, not enough shooting time.

Canon T4i (2 lenses), Fuji X100s, Olympus OM-D EM-1 (3 lenses)

JeffreyG
"my bits and pieces are all hard"
15,540 posts
Gallery: 42 photos
Joined Jan 2007

Jan 27, 2010 18:07 |  #6

I never understand these car analogies. I get in, I turn the key, I drive. What is so exciting? I just want to get somewhere.

As for the original question, I'm interested too (though more in a 1D3 vs. 1D4 comparison. I'd really like to get some one on one RAW test images at ISO3200 and ISO6400 from each to compare.

To me the IQ of the 1D3 and the 5D2 are about the same. I'd really only consider the 1D4 (which I am seriously considering) if I can get at least one more stop ISO from it for the same detail and noise from a RAW image.

My personal stuff:http://www.flickr.com/​photos/jngirbach/sets/ (external link)
I use a Canon 5DIII and a Sony A7rIII

ed ­ rader
"I am not the final word"
23,307 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined May 2005

Jan 27, 2010 18:12 |  #7

Gel wrote in post #9484890 (external link)
I can't really tell with the web images and that's all I can find.

What's the current consensus?

Noise doesn't appear to be that great, but IQ?

what do you mean by that?

ed rader

http://instagram.com/e​draderphotography/ (external link)
5D4, 80d, 16-35L F4 IS, 24-70L II, 70-200L F4 IS II, 100-400L II, sigma 15 FE, sigma 14 f1.8 art, tc 1.4 III, 430exII, gitzo 3542L + markins Q20, gitzo GT 1545T + markins Q3T, gitzo GM4562

jsmonet
147 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Jan 27, 2010 19:14 |  #8

just buy both. think of it like this: the 5d2 is chuck norris' left eye and the one-four is his right.

when you mount a lens to either, that isn't aperture. that's pupil constricting

i have a camera. it takes nice pictures.

Panopeeper
774 posts
Joined May 2008

Jan 27, 2010 21:43 |  #9

These two cameras are totally different, i.e. one does not decide which one to buy based on the noise characteristics consideration.

Anyway, here are some captures of comparable images (the shots were made specifically for measuring the dynamic range), with ISO 100, 400, 1600 and 3200. Only the "red" raw channel is shown.

My observations are:

- the noise measured as standard deviation is very close with these cameras,

- the ugly pattern noise of the 5D2 is not present with the 1DMkIV (this can not be judged well from these captures),

- the 5D2 images are "cleaner". I can only speculate about the reason; perhaps due to the difference between the size of the sensels (the 5D2 has 2.4 megapixels per cm², the 1DMkIV has 3.1 megapixels per cm²).

I hope it can be used, but it is not much.

Gabor

Tom ­ W
Canon Fanosapien
12,747 posts
Joined Feb 2003

Jan 27, 2010 21:55 |  #10

Panopeeper wrote in post #9486669 (external link)
Anyway, here are some captures of comparable images.....

Not seeing any captures...

Tom
5D IV, M5, RP, & various lenses

MichaelBernard
Goldmember
3,586 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Jan 27, 2010 22:09 |  #11
bannedPermanent ban

canonnoob wrote in post #9484955 (external link)
the mkIV has better IQ and better noise handing.. easily. Im speaking from personal experience with the camera..

Oh well that's different then! :lol: IQ is subjective, and you can't tell if it has superior IQ or inferior IQ from the samples posted on the web.

oaktree wrote in post #9485076 (external link)
Isn't it sort of like comparing a Lexus with a BMW? Both good, both different. I'd like either one. Hey, I've got a 5DmkII and much cheaper than the mkIV, Lexus or BMW!

Lexus is made by Toyota and BMW has crap resale....:lol:

http://www.Michael-Bernard.com (external link)"I think that there will be people disappointed in any camera short of the one that summons the ghost of Ansel Adams to come and press the shutter button for them." -lazer-jock

Panopeeper
774 posts
Joined May 2008

Jan 27, 2010 22:19 as a reply to  @ Panopeeper's post |  #12

Links to the captures

I am so sorry, the age combined with drugs has its effect.

1DMkIV, ISO 100 (external link)

5DMkII, ISO 100 (external link)

1DMkIV, ISO 400 (external link)

5DMkII, ISO 400 (external link)

1DMkIV, ISO 1600 (external link)

5DMkII, ISO 1600 (external link)

1DMkIV, ISO 3200 (external link)

5DMkII, ISO 3200 (external link)

The numbers with the red, oval markings show the intensity on that particular patch, in EV from clipping; for example -9.75 means, that is is close to the end of the 10th stop of the dynamic range. The number in the second row shows the noise in percentage of the average intensity.

Gabor

Tom ­ W
Canon Fanosapien
12,747 posts
Joined Feb 2003

Jan 27, 2010 23:28 |  #13

Panopeeper wrote in post #9486906 (external link)
I am so sorry, the age combined with drugs has its effect.

Not to worry - thanks for posting these.

I'm lucky - I get the effects of the "forgetful" drugs without having to take them. :)

Tom
5D IV, M5, RP, & various lenses

John ­ Sheehy
Goldmember
3,733 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jan 28, 2010 12:23 |  #14

Panopeeper wrote in post #9486669 (external link)
- the 5D2 images are "cleaner". I can only speculate about the reason; perhaps due to the difference between the size of the sensels (the 5D2 has 2.4 megapixels per cm², the 1DMkIV has 3.1 megapixels per cm²).

The product of linear pixel resolution and read noise is about 5-10% lower for the 1D4 than the 5D2 at high ISOs, and also, the 1D4 read noise has less line noise, but the 5D2 collects about 1.69x as many photons (assuming equal QE), so it is to be expected that the 1D4 will be better in the shadows, and the 5D2 in brighter areas, especially at the low end of the high ISO range (800 to 3200). A high-key ETTR image will be cleaner in this range on the 5D2.

kevindar
Cream of the Crop
5,050 posts
Joined May 2007

Jan 28, 2010 13:24 |  #15

canonnoob, I did not see a 5dII in your gear list. Did you own one and sell it? did you own both concurrently? I am interested to see to what extent this personal experience is.
As for the OP, as others said, the camera's are vastly different, and there are many factors that go in to image quality.
Are you shooting static objects at iso 100, at f8? 5d2 will have better image quality. will give you more detail.
shooting static objects with your lens near wide open? a full frame would have an advantage there for same size prints, with better center resolution, simply b/c you are magnifying your image less for same size print. Taking pictures of a fast moving object with off center focus? forget 5dII. I am not simply stating the obvious. Its just that there is so much that goes in to image quality and sharpness depending on your application.
As for noise performance goes, I have not owned 1dm4, just the 5d2. Looking at all the comparisons between 1d4 and Nikon d3s, I would venture to say that there should not be much difference in high iso performance for the same size print between 5d2 and 1d4, nor do I think there is much difference in dynamic range between the two sensors.

My Flickr (external link)
Gear List
https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1205576

sponsored links

2,737 views & 0 likes for this thread
So does the 5D MkII have better IQ than the MkIV?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.