Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Sports Talk 
Thread started 28 Jan 2010 (Thursday) 13:53
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

D2x outdoors shooting

zincozinco
-Followers of Fidget-
4,420 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Jan 28, 2010 13:53 |  #1

Id like to know the benefits for a canon body in the same price range - i see none. Also I have sold all my long glass so i dont mind doing a switch for a sports camera. well its not a switch just another camera.

I used to own a 1dmk2 the problem I have seen at points is that without having the best L glass out there like a 400 f4 or a 500 f4 when i do enlargements for clients they are not 100% sharp because of the low mp count. I tried the 7d but most of the images were soft as well.

what it has going for it is.
12mp
1.5 sensor
8fps
forced 200 asa
price - less than 900 bucks

Af is my big ??? Does anyone know if its good?

Also my lens of choice would be the 200-400 f4

Living the life, overexposing...
Web (external link), Blog (external link) Name: Mike, Maik, Micke or just zinco.

AdamLewis
Goldmember
4,121 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Jan 29, 2010 08:13 |  #2

Im wondering why you think 'forced' 200 ISO is a benefit?

If outdoor is your thing, I think the D2x will work well. The 200-400 is a killer lens too.

flickr (external link)

onesickpuppy
877 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Sep 2004

Feb 02, 2010 15:33 |  #3

I was nikon for over 20 years...ending with the D2x.

I made the switch to a MKIIn and have never regretted looking back, and here is why:

Superior ISO performance..........t​he 2x was horrible from 800 up

More focus keepers........the focal points are too close on the 2x...many times lost to something behind main subject....creating oof shots (especially on moving targets)

Now back to your question in general about print sizes.......

I currently shoot motorsports.....and sell prints up to 44 x 66 inches that are SHARP!!!!!! and yet the MKIIn is only a 8.3 mp camera......!!?? So why was your images on a MKII soft???

I'm willing to bet........that if you go back and review the images for the following, you'll answer your own question quickly!!

what was your shutter speed to the length of lens used....based on the motion speed of your subject????

Too many times we fail to maintain what I call the Golden Rule of focal length/shutter speed ratio

If your shooting a 300 mm lens....then the minimum shutter speed needs to be 300th of a sec or faster
and if your subject is moving ( and depending at what speed), multiply that by half again.

In doing drag racing....when a car launches off the starting line....while our mind is thinking that its only moving a few feet.......its the power of the launch that succumbs many to soft images. It takes a shutter speed of minimum of 500th of a sec to assure sharp images...but yet the car is only moving a few feet. In doing unlimited hydros doing 160 mph........more the same....shutter speeds up to around 1000th.

SO all that said...........if you have canon lens (and they don't all have to be $$$ L stuff) currently most MKII's are in your price range. IF your only on Nikon glass.......the 2x is now in that range as well....but I'd go for the MKII or MKIIn for sure!! :)

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

788 views & 0 likes for this thread
D2x outdoors shooting
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Sports Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.