Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Presentation & Building Galleries 
Thread started 28 Jan 2010 (Thursday) 15:24
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Website is done!

Lilyfox
118 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Jan 28, 2010 15:24 |  #1

My 50L is on it's way, the website is finished... woot! So excited!

http://www.capturesbyj​enny.com/ (external link)

Jenny (external link)
Rebel XSI, 50mm f/1.4, 17-55 f/2.8
"There is only you and your camera. The limitations in your photograhy are in yourself, for what we see is what we are." --Ernst Haas

sponsored links
cdwise
90 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jan 28, 2010 15:27 |  #2

Nice to see options for html and not Flash only. As that statement might suggest I looked at the HTML site which loaded quickly and looked good but I'd put a masthead on the gallery pages since that empty black area looks unfinished.

Cheryl D Wise
http://by-expression.com (external link)
Canon Rebel T1i

Lilyfox
THREAD ­ STARTER
118 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Jan 28, 2010 15:29 |  #3

cdwise wrote in post #9491979 (external link)
Nice to see options for html and not Flash only. As that statement might suggest I looked at the HTML site which loaded quickly and looked good but I'd put a masthead on the gallery pages since that empty black area looks unfinished.

Unfortunately with portfoliositez, I am only able to edit the flash template and not the html (which stinks!), but if they ever let me, that's the first thing I'll do. I totally agree!

Jenny (external link)
"There is only you and your camera. The limitations in your photograhy are in yourself, for what we see is what we are." --Ernst Haas

cdwise
90 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jan 28, 2010 15:40 |  #4

Did a quick look and they say you can use an "uploadable background" on the matching HTML site. See if you can do something that way. I'm not sure that you will be able to given the output html (which acutally causes me to shudder though it seems to work well enough.)

Cheryl D Wise
Canon Rebel T1i

Lilyfox
THREAD ­ STARTER
118 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Jan 28, 2010 15:46 |  #5

cdwise wrote in post #9492078 (external link)
Did a quick look and they say you can use an "uploadable background" on the matching HTML site. See if you can do something that way. I'm not sure that you will be able to given the output html (which acutally causes me to shudder though it seems to work well enough.)

Hmm where are you seeing this? I might be missing it somewhere, but I see no html edit option in my control panel for it.... I wonder if I can edit the html directly through ftp itself. Hmm... only one way to find out!

Jenny (external link)

cdwise
90 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jan 28, 2010 15:48 |  #6

I saw it on their "features" list but if you can ftp the template then you should be able to do whatever you want. <g>

Cheryl D Wise
Canon Rebel T1i

Lilyfox
THREAD ­ STARTER
118 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Jan 28, 2010 15:52 |  #7

cdwise wrote in post #9492132 (external link)
I saw it on their "features" list but if you can ftp the template then you should be able to do whatever you want. <g>

Hmm I think I'm just gonna contact them and see if they can do it for me. Their code is a little wonky, and I can't code... I know a tiny smidge of html, but not enough for this. Oh well, at least the html version is functional... just not as pretty.

Jenny (external link)

cdwise
90 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jan 28, 2010 15:54 |  #8

Jenny, their code is definitely not pretty and may fail in some circumstances but it is fast and seems to work okay in the major browsers which is a big plus and it is still attractive just that it would be better with a header.

Cheryl D Wise
Canon Rebel T1i

Lilyfox
THREAD ­ STARTER
118 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Jan 28, 2010 15:56 |  #9

cdwise wrote in post #9492176 (external link)
Jenny, their code is definitely not pretty and may fail in some circumstances but it is fast and seems to work okay in the major browsers which is a big plus and it is still attractive just that it would be better with a header.

I just tossed them an email, hopefully they can help me out. Thanks for the help, cd :)

For those looking for a flash site, I have been super impressed with with portfoliositez, minus the coding issue here. Within an hour of my order, my website was already up and waiting for me to edit, even though I didn't choose their 'rush order' option. They answer support emails within minutes, and with the right knowledge, you can turn their templates into even more stunning flash websites (they are already stunning without tweaking). Paid $30-ish for the first month + setup, and it will be $16 a month, which, IMO, is not bad at all considering the competition.

Jenny (external link)

jjaenagle
Goldmember
1,506 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Jan 28, 2010 16:25 |  #10
bannedPermanent ban

Lilyfox wrote in post #9492184 (external link)
I just tossed them an email, hopefully they can help me out. Thanks for the help, cd :)

For those looking for a flash site, I have been super impressed with with portfoliositez, minus the coding issue here. Within an hour of my order, my website was already up and waiting for me to edit, even though I didn't choose their 'rush order' option. They answer support emails within minutes, and with the right knowledge, you can turn their templates into even more stunning flash websites (they are already stunning without tweaking). Paid $30-ish for the first month + setup, and it will be $16 a month, which, IMO, is not bad at all considering the competition.

i do like the flash a lot. and the options were very impressive, but i preferred the flash

Instagram (external link)Website (external link)
GEAR & FEEDBACK

johnaengus
494 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Jan 29, 2010 11:42 |  #11

I have been working with Portfoliositez too. Customer service sure is top notch. My new site should be up in a week or so.

finndogphoto.com

5Dmkii, 16-35 2.8L, 35 1.4L, 50 1.2L, 85 1.2L, 24-105 4L, 70-200 2.8 L IS, 580 EXII

SwitchBlade
Goldmember
2,748 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Jan 29, 2010 12:13 |  #12

The "home" link on the HTML version is half off of the top of the page. Contact information boxes overflow the right of their container and the calendar thing looks a bit hard to understand and it causes errors.

The flash version does seem to run better, but as seen by the HTML version it's not really doing much more than the HTML one apart from working. Seeing as you are paying for this I'd kick up a stink with regards to the HTML site.

5D | 40D | Σ24 f1.8 | 50 f1.8 II | 85 f1.8 | 70-200 F4L | 540EZ x2 | Nissin Di622

Pearlallica
Goldmember
1,302 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Jan 29, 2010 12:54 |  #13

congrats on your productive week. I do miss my long lost 50L... :/

I'd compliment its design but I guess this is just a template site... btw, if you're targeting a certain market you might want to place pictures of that category exlussively. Looks like a personal webpage of your own collection. The flower, landscape and pictures of (your?) kids don't say 'I'll hire her for THAT'

Oh, and i wanted say that music is quite somber... just a thought :)

jonathan @ tlcphoto.com (external link) - pro wedding and portrait photog
5d2 5d3 50L 16-35 70-200 ElinchromRX600 580EX 600EX VIV285

Lilyfox
THREAD ­ STARTER
118 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Jan 29, 2010 13:24 |  #14

Pearlallica wrote in post #9498348 (external link)
I'd compliment its design but I guess this is just a template site... btw, if you're targeting a certain market you might want to place pictures of that category exlussively. Looks like a personal webpage of your own collection. The flower, landscape and pictures of (your?) kids don't say 'I'll hire her for THAT'

Oh, and i wanted say that music is quite somber... just a thought :)

The design was a starting template, I changed all the graphics and designed the background image myself. This is how it looked originally:
http://www.jjsitez.com​/ansel/index2.php (external link)

As for the photos -- the personal ones will come off once I get more photos taken. I really don't have much of anything in my porfolio yet, so I just used those as placeholders until I can add some more :)

Jenny (external link)

Pearlallica
Goldmember
1,302 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Jan 29, 2010 13:46 |  #15

wow, I'd say you enhanced it a great deal. The original is fairly conservative.

Your photos are nice, don't get me wrong. Now that you mention they are placeholders that makes sense. Looks like it has a lot of potential.

Not sure if an HTML version is necessary. I forget the number, but a very high percentage of users are equipped with a flash plugin. My site is all flash. I'm not worried. I can afford to miss the 10 or 15% of users that can't see my site because I have a day job and I can get by with any amount of clientele. After all,these users are probably very used to not seeing xx% of the web.

Oh, and you'll probably get very tired of editing a flash AND html page for every update very quickly. ;)

jonathan @ tlcphoto.com (external link) - pro wedding and portrait photog
5d2 5d3 50L 16-35 70-200 ElinchromRX600 580EX 600EX VIV285

sponsored links

3,408 views & 0 likes for this thread
Website is done!
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Presentation & Building Galleries 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.