Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 29 Jan 2010 (Friday) 18:55
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

TEACHING A REBEL TO DO BETTER

docgipe
568 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jan 29, 2010 18:55 |  #1

Grandpa growing with a lot more camera than photographer. Present set up is 1800 ISO, shuter speed 1/125, stock or kit 75 X 300 zoom, letting Rebel choose the rest. Shoot manuel, hand held 3 per second sports speed. I have and use CS4. Just begining to make better pictures.

This shot from about 40 ft. in available light. To date have not been able to find the real good sharp picture. Showing one of my best for criticism.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Rebel XTi & 7D
17 - 55 mm F/2.8 IS
70 - 200 mm F/2.8 L IS Mark II
70 X 300mm
"I will loan no one my wife, gun, axe or camera".

sponsored links
vk2gwk
Cream of the Crop
12,946 posts
Gallery: 279 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Jan 29, 2010 19:10 |  #2

Not bad at all.... The shutter speed is probably a bit low for the action: 1/250 would have been better but then you would have had even more noise because of the necessary higher ISO setting.
With the focal length, aperture and the distance you had about 4M of depth - so that is enough.
The "red" shadow (is it shadow ?) on the floor looks a bit like blood :) ...
I noticed you used the flash - that probably accounts for the blown out shoulder. Did you try without the flash?

My name is Henk. and I believe "It is all in the eye of the beholder....."
Image Editing is allowed. Please explain what you did!
Canon R5, 5D MkIV 5DMkIII, 50D, 24-105/1:4 + RF70-200mm F/2.8L IS USM + 100-400/4-5.6L IS USM + 50mm 1.4 USM + Sigma 150-600mm Sports + 580EXII + 430EX + YN568EXII, triggers, reflectors, umbrellas and some more bits and pieces...
Photos on: Flickr! (external link) and on my own web site. (external link)

docgipe
THREAD ­ STARTER
568 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jan 29, 2010 20:04 |  #3

I can not help being amazed with serious comment from Australia. Thank you very much. Yes the shadow appeared in only one of eight to nine shots I took. That is also what I thought was an accidental flash given to me by someone else. This has led me to set up tomorrow evening with a shutter speed of 1/250, pre match test of ISO at 800 with mounted flash to bounce it off the ceiling. My flash is good enough to recycle and shoot three shots a second with the Rebel. I will be able to do a lot of experimenting with flash on and an ISO range to 1600. Tournament rules do not permit a tripod. I might test the rules with a monopod. :) I am handicapped with oxygen 24/7 being sometimes in the road. I can still get around the edge of the mats on my good days. I attempt to follow the grandson who is at 15 one of the best in Pennsylvania. Pennsylvania is the best wrestling state in America today.

Rebel XTi & 7D
17 - 55 mm F/2.8 IS
70 X 300mm

JoeT
192 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Jan 29, 2010 21:20 as a reply to  @ docgipe's post |  #4

I think that is a great picture considering the circumstances. You were using a rebel inside, with very fast moving subjects. Rebels are more of an entry level DSLR, so they are not created for low light situations with good high iso capabilities, nor do they have the frame rate to capture action like you are trying to do.

With that being said I think you got a great shot under those circumstances. And I don't think it is your talent holding you back, but rather the camera under those circumstances.

chomish
Goldmember
1,917 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Jan 29, 2010 22:19 |  #5

You know, i really like this shot. The ref really makes it for me.

Great action shot!

:) 5D-2 Mark ii :) 16-35 2.8L | 24-70 2.8L | 85 1.2 IIL | 70-200 f4 ISL | 70-200 2.8 IS IIL | 24-70 2.8L |MP-E 65 | 580EX, 430EX, MT24-EX | :p :p :p

docgipe
THREAD ­ STARTER
568 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jan 29, 2010 22:24 |  #6

Very nice Joe......I am begining to understand. The sad part of this story is that if I would have had a good salesman in the begining I could have been sold a much better model. At 74 years young it is unlikely I would upgrade beyond a 2.8 piece of glass now. I would however like to see the results of any lens ahead of a purchase. There is one such lens in use in our area. Efforts are being made to find that person. The professionals are more or less with tight lips.

In this area I have seen nothing better than the Rebel XTI wit kit lens in the hands of other than a relatively small number of professionals and media representatives. There is not a photo shop that stocks much better either. I have gained most of my help and knowlege from nice folks on line. If I were healthy and strong I would certainly find a higher percentage of good equipment in the audience of the Penn State football games. The local photography club still maintains a show rule that forces show presentation in black frames and white mats. I believe we may be a tad behind the times in many ways. The local newspaper began to understand high DPI only within the past year or two. LOL

Of course if the stock market were cranking up on a good head of steam different choices and upgrades might be a tad more desirable.

Rebel XTi & 7D
17 - 55 mm F/2.8 IS
70 X 300mm

Got ­ Turbo?
327 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Jan 29, 2010 22:28 |  #7

I really like this. I think the bit of motion blur adds to the picture. Good job!

docgipe
THREAD ­ STARTER
568 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jan 29, 2010 23:04 |  #8

Thank you for the strokes. I am the team photographer. The price was right. I was to old and forgetfull to remember what culling 90% of three hundred exposures cost in real time. I had the biggest camera the coach had ever seen. No professional wanted any of this high paying action.

Rebel XTi & 7D
17 - 55 mm F/2.8 IS
70 X 300mm

vk2gwk
Cream of the Crop
12,946 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Jan 30, 2010 00:37 |  #9

You might consider to upgrade to a 50D - with the lens you already got that would do the trick. Better "low light"/noise ratio than the camera you got now and 7 fps for sports shooting.
And do not consider yourself "too old" for anything..... I am not your age yet but a grandfather many times over and my philosophy is... try it all until you die.

Canon R5, 5D MkIV 5DMkIII, 50D, 24-105/1:4 + RF70-200mm F/2.8L IS USM + 100-400/4-5.6L IS USM + 50mm 1.4 USM + Sigma 150-600mm Sports + 580EXII + 430EX + YN568EXII, triggers, reflectors, umbrellas and some more bits and pieces...

docgipe
THREAD ­ STARTER
568 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jan 31, 2010 17:11 |  #10

I did my gym exercise yesterday. Ended up tired in very cold weather. When I started packing for the wrestling match the camera seemed like it weighed a ton. I left it at home last evening. This week we wrestle Monday, Tuesday and Saturday. Lot of opportunity if I feel just a little better.

Rebel XTi & 7D
17 - 55 mm F/2.8 IS
70 X 300mm

docgipe
THREAD ­ STARTER
568 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Feb 05, 2010 21:07 as a reply to  @ docgipe's post |  #11

This week I tried shutter speed at 1/250 and bouncing flash off the ceiling. That took away significant light. Went back to 1/125, ISO 1600 with flash off the ceiling using my kit quality 75 X 300 zoom lens hand held at an average distance of forty feet. This picture has been photo managed with CS4 as well as I can use it at this juncture. This too shall improve with practice.

I shall also shoot RAW for a portion of my wrestling coverage. That will or should enable some improvement overall.

For any wrestlers out there this hold is a cross and combination between a tilt and a cradle. He continues to grow with each week's experience. This match was he the freshman taking on a junior same 103 weight and teaching a clinic...so to speak.

I encourage and appreciate positive criticism.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Rebel XTi & 7D
17 - 55 mm F/2.8 IS
70 X 300mm

vk2gwk
Cream of the Crop
12,946 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Feb 05, 2010 21:25 |  #12

It seems the far end of the wrestling area is more in focus than the boys.... Did you switch to the single central focussing point when shooting? It looks as if the focus was cuaght too far out. The light is very good and I see hardly any noise.

JimMcrae
938 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Feb 05, 2010 23:34 |  #13

I really like these shots and agree with Chomish about the ref. I look forward to seeing more of these.

60d, 400d, 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6, 24-105mm f/4, 50mm f/1.4, 580ex II, 2 X 430ex II, Bowens 500, cs5

PixelPusher
Goldmember
1,929 posts
Gallery: 85 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Feb 2009

Feb 05, 2010 23:41 |  #14

Hi Doc,

Can you try to rent a lens anywhere in your area that can handle the low light? I have a Rebel too and use it for outdoor events mostly. It is a little heavy, but a 70-200 2.8L with IS (image stabilization) rents for about $20 for a full week end. I am always amazed what comes out of my Rebel when using it. Bye the way.... Great shots with what you got. I got one finally

Robert

SmugMug (external link)

docgipe
THREAD ­ STARTER
568 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Feb 06, 2010 12:22 |  #15

Henk............BINGO! Back to the book to find out about a single focus point. I will have to teach this Rebel how to do this. :) The picture I attached would have the multiple focus points nearly all on the objective. Think you have a great observation. Thanks.

Absolutely no rentals in this area. When they sold me my present $200.00 glass they walked to sidewalk with me to enable me to shoot a few shots. There was no effort to sell me fast glass. I assumed but never actually knew rentals were possible in some areas. I'm four hours from Philadelphia and six hours from Pittsburgh where this service should be available.

Image removed because it was a horrible mistake in the first place.

Rebel XTi & 7D
17 - 55 mm F/2.8 IS
70 X 300mm

sponsored links

14,730 views & 0 likes for this thread
TEACHING A REBEL TO DO BETTER
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.