Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 30 Jan 2010 (Saturday) 12:17
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Contax 645 vs. 35L

dcran
81 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Jan 30, 2010 12:17 |  #1

So i have a bit of money to blow on some new gear and am really thinking about trying my hand at medium format film. I have never had a Medium Format camera, but have been shooting film for years. The reason I feel like going this route is that many of the photographers that I admire are using Medium Format film. Anyone out there have this camera? Or have recommendations for an MF camera?

My other option is to upgrade my 28 1.8 to a 35L. To me I don't know if that upgrade will make all that much difference. I know this topic has been beat to death, but do you think the 28 and the 35 are really $700 different?

WEBSITE (external link) - BLOG (external link)
5DmkII - A2 - 135 f/2 - 50 f/1.4 - 28 f/1.8 - 580exII

sponsored links
kauffman ­ v36
778 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Jan 30, 2010 12:31 |  #2

i say go MF, but from looking at my gear list you can see im biased, lol. my 1d3 serves only as a meter the past few months for my film outings. other than that it stays in the bag. can you say the most expesnvie spot meter on earth? lol

Bodies: 1DIII, RZ ProII, Walker Titan 4x5
Lenses: 28/1.8,
85/1.8, Sekor Z 110/2.8, Sekor ULD 50 4.5, Schneider SA 75/5.6
Other: CanoScan 8800F
https://photography-on-the.net/forum/www.Robe​rtKauffman.netwww.RobertKauffman.net

dcran
THREAD ­ STARTER
81 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Jan 30, 2010 12:57 |  #3

I know what you mean with expensive spot meters. Lately I have been using my 5DmkII as a spot meter while I shoot with my $50, 15 year old EOS A2.

How do you like the Mamiya? I hear the one you have is a great camera. I saw one a Mamiya 645 Pro TL in some local classifieds a few weeks ago for $200. I should have jumped at that.

kauffman ­ v36
778 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Jan 30, 2010 13:13 |  #4

to be honest, my rz67 is the best camera i have ever used. well maybe a leica m3 was, lol. i shoot only film now a days and process myself, b&w and kodachrome slides only. i held a mamiya 645 the other day and it feels so light to me i almost got one, lol. the only camera i would consider better than the 67 mamiya bodies is the mamiya 7ii. its the size of a 135 slr but shoots 6x7 and has some of the best optics in the world.

regarding the mamiya 645, a good scan of those negatives will yeild slightly more or the same resolution than the 5dii, but as we all know, the tonality, and contrast range is UNBELIEVABLE.
check out fredmiranda.com and apug.org for people selling 645 bodies, i see a good amount go through there. some of the glass for the mamiya 645 bodies is amazingly sharp and contrast and bokeh is wow. i would also suggest a bronica but there is no support for them anymore. im very happy i see a rising amount of film interest on here, lol. it makes me smile knowing kodaks b&w film sales rose 10% and more and more photogs are wanting to try it out.

Bodies: 1DIII, RZ ProII, Walker Titan 4x5
Lenses: 28/1.8,
85/1.8, Sekor Z 110/2.8, Sekor ULD 50 4.5, Schneider SA 75/5.6
Other: CanoScan 8800F
https://photography-on-the.net/forum/www.Robe​rtKauffman.netwww.RobertKauffman.net

carpediem291
50 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Jan 30, 2010 22:25 |  #5

I recommend mamiya 7 for MF camera. 35L is a great lens. It really depends on which one will be more practical and benefit you the most. I have not used my Mamiya 7 as much because shooting digital is much more convenient. If you ask me, yes, it's worth it get the the 35L. If anything, you should rent one out and try it yourself

Andri Tambunan
Freelance Photojournalist & Documentary Photographer
www.Andritambunan.com (external link)

TheHoff
Don't Hassle....
8,804 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jan 30, 2010 22:32 |  #6

You officially win "most random comparison" thread.

••Vancouver Wedding Photographer  (external link)••| [gear list] | Latest blog: 5 steps to stopping image loss (external link)

dcran
THREAD ­ STARTER
81 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Jan 30, 2010 23:14 as a reply to  @ TheHoff's post |  #7

Thanks, I have been trying to win an award.

Thanks for the suggestions. The Mamiya 7 looks like a great camera, but I feel drawn towards the Contax, mostly because of the zeiss glass that is available.

I agree I should probably just rent the 35L and try it out to see what kind of difference it makes for me. For some reason I didn't think of that.

sponsored links

2,083 views & 0 likes for this thread
Contax 645 vs. 35L
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.