Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 31 Jan 2010 (Sunday) 00:39
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Anyone else buy the Spider Holster?

MDJAK
Cream of the Crop
24,725 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Nov 2004

Feb 09, 2010 16:01 |  #16

I haven't tried the spider system but may.

As to the Black Rapid, I bought it about a month ago and have used it quite a bit, most recently at an event this past Saturday, a surprise 50th bday party which was thrown by a wealthy friend for his sister, recently retired Deputy Inspector NYPD. You can imagine the size of the event: At least 150 people, large ballroom, DJ, whole ball of wax.

The strap was excellent. The camera does not swing around at all. And I'm not sure how they do it, but it is absolutely weightless. I don't feel the strap pulling on my shoulder in any way, shape or form. Very quick to grab, shoot, and place back down. And I was using my D3, easily the same size and weight as my former 1 Series, with the new Nikon 70-200 f2.8, and a SB900, a very large flash, along with the Elinchrom Skyport transmitter in the synch socket, with the approximately 6 inch cord wrapped around the hotshoe.

I am jonesing for the spyder though.

mark

sponsored links
DerekW
Goldmember
1,211 posts
Joined May 2007

Feb 09, 2010 17:01 |  #17

You know, I just tried mine on again mark is right, the BR really doesn't swing around at all, it stays snug against your waist

How about arranging a group discount for PTN members? :)

midnight_rider
"Thrown under the bus."
5,413 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Feb 09, 2010 17:41 as a reply to  @ DerekW's post |  #18

I am not trying to knock the spider system. It seems cool but there seems to be a little bit if BR bashing on here so let me bring up a point. If something were to hit the bottom of my camera while it is on the black rapid strap system it will hit the camera but all will still be secured. I use to have something very similar to the spider for my drill at work. While climbing over something the angle of my leg and a little pressure on the bottom of my drill sent it on a 15' drop.

The BR straps do not let your camera swing to bad, however at the end your camera us actually attached to something and that makes it feel more secure to me. I may try the spider just because I like new things. Although I will not be taking it anywhere I may need to climb.

I never, Not once claimed to read your post...

pnmd
Goldmember
1,852 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Feb 09, 2010 19:42 |  #19

midnight_rider wrote in post #9576969 (external link)
I use to have something very similar to the spider for my drill at work. While climbing over something the angle of my leg and a little pressure on the bottom of my drill sent it on a 15' drop.

not sure how your drill was locked in but if you do the Spider mod, your camera can ONLY come out if you manually lift the unlock lever. I've had mine for a month now and I love it. Took about 2 weeks to feel comfortable with it but 2 photoshoots later I totally trust it. Models said it was cool lol. ;)

pnmd wrote in post #9499448 (external link)
Shai is cool. He told me how to loosen the plunger so the release can't stay in the full up position which is unlocked. He told me to call him and he'd walk me thru but it was easy...

Remove the back and loosen the plunger (red arrow) and then your camera can ONLY come out when you hit the release :)
QUOTED IMAGE

Peter
Facebook (external link)
behind the scenes (external link)
500px (external link)

midnight_rider
"Thrown under the bus."
5,413 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Feb 09, 2010 21:34 |  #20

pnmd wrote in post #9577747 (external link)
not sure how your drill was locked in but if you do the Spider mod, your camera can ONLY come out if you manually lift the unlock lever. I've had mine for a month now and I love it. Took about 2 weeks to feel comfortable with it but 2 photoshoots later I totally trust it. Models said it was cool lol. ;)

Thanks for sharing that. It is a cool mod and definitely worth doing to any spider system.

I just got the new BR Double strap system so I am still having fun with my new toy.As soon as my new toy euphoria wears off I am sure I am getting the spider. Although it would be nice if they had a 2 camera setup that could save some one some money.
right now it looks like 109 for a single setup+ 85 for a clip+ 25 for a second bracket and 7 for a second pin . It may actually be cheaper to just buy 2 spider pro systems and make 1 double system.

I never, Not once claimed to read your post...

lefturn99
820 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Feb 09, 2010 22:12 |  #21

Looks like the answer to a question nobody is asking. Besides, those of us with no natural waistline would have a problem with "droop".

6D, 5D Mk III, 60D, EOS M, Gear List

pnmd
Goldmember
1,852 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Feb 09, 2010 22:38 |  #22

midnight_rider wrote in post #9578459 (external link)
Thanks for sharing that. It is a cool mod and definitely worth doing to any spider system.

No prob :)

Peter
Facebook (external link)
500px (external link)

pnmd
Goldmember
1,852 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Feb 09, 2010 22:52 as a reply to  @ pnmd's post |  #23

http://www.adorama.com​/TTLDI.html (external link)

Just got Think Tank Lens Drop In to hold one item (flash, prime lens, Sekonic) It's smaller than the Skin 50 and you can drop things in it quickly. I really hate anything else on the Spider belt but on location I'd probably use ONE of the Think Tanks.

Sekonic L358 case, Lens Drop In, Skin 50 - for size comparisons:

IMAGE: http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2713/4344748031_acf37cf691_b.jpg

Lens Drop In, Skin 50
IMAGE: http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2774/4344748393_7afbdbbed0_b.jpg

Peter
Facebook (external link)
500px (external link)

krb
Cream of the Crop
8,818 posts
Joined Jun 2008
Location: Where southern efficiency and northern charm come together

Feb 09, 2010 23:11 |  #24

lefturn99 wrote in post #9578653 (external link)
Looks like the answer to a question nobody is asking. Besides, those of us with no natural waistline would have a problem with "droop".

This is one of the reasons I was knocking it when the original prototypes were discussed on here. As anybody who has spent time wearing a large holstered pistol can tell you, a stiff belt is a must, suspenders are a good idea and you will likely want something on the opposite side to help balance the weight. The new design should have much less issue with the belt rolling and making the thing unbearable but this still doesn't look like something I'd use with a normal belt or with too heavy/large of a camera+lens. Certainly not something I'd use with my gripped 7D and 100-400, but it looks like it would be great with my non-gripped 50D and 17-40.

-- Ken
Comment and critique is always appreciated!
Flickr (external link)
Gear list

c2thew
Goldmember
3,929 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Feb 10, 2010 13:48 |  #25

pnmd wrote in post #9578892 (external link)
http://www.adorama.com​/TTLDI.html (external link)

Just got Think Tank Lens Drop In to hold one item (flash, prime lens, Sekonic) It's smaller than the Skin 50 and you can drop things in it quickly. I really hate anything else on the Spider belt but on location I'd probably use ONE of the Think Tanks.

Sekonic L358 case, Lens Drop In, Skin 50 - for size comparisons:
QUOTED IMAGE

Lens Drop In, Skin 50
QUOTED IMAGE

just wanted to say that this looks pretty awesome! the only downside i see is that if you wanted to dump your 70-200, this bag wouldn't go down far enough.

Flickr (external link) |Gear|The-Digital-Picture (external link)|The $6 mic | MAGIC LANTERN (external link) | Welding Filter
Go Support Magic Lantern 2.3!!

Tdragone
Goldmember
2,188 posts
Joined Sep 2004

Feb 10, 2010 19:01 |  #26

krb wrote in post #9579001 (external link)
This is one of the reasons I was knocking it when the original prototypes were discussed on here. As anybody who has spent time wearing a large holstered pistol can tell you, a stiff belt is a must, suspenders are a good idea and you will likely want something on the opposite side to help balance the weight. The new design should have much less issue with the belt rolling and making the thing unbearable but this still doesn't look like something I'd use with a normal belt or with too heavy/large of a camera+lens. Certainly not something I'd use with my gripped 7D and 100-400, but it looks like it would be great with my non-gripped 50D and 17-40.

I used the system for the first time @ the Nellis airshow. I cheaped out and only bought 1 holster, but bought an extra pin so I could use it with 2 cameras. I walked the ENTIRE static area with the 1Dmkiii + 100-400 in the holster while I using my 50D + grip + 16-35 or 10-22 for static shots.

The holster was hung on a 1.5" nylon military bdu belt.. It worked fine for me not having something on the other hip. I never felt like I had to adjust it at all since i had some 'swing' with it.

Hope it helps someone else who is thinking about using this system!

-Tom Dragonetti
Spyder Holster + 1Dmk IV, 50D, G11
10-22, 16-35 2.8Lii, , 24-70 2.8Lii, 50mm 1.4,
70-200 2.8Lii IS, 100-400L IS
1.4x TC, 580EX ii, ST-E2

hawk911
Cream of the Crop
11,306 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Feb 11, 2010 09:31 |  #27

I did the spider mod on the locking pin and think it's a smart mod to do. I wouldn't trust the camera in a slot that might be open, might be closed. Feels pretty secure with my gripped 40D and 70-200 f2.8. Have to add my flash on it too, just to see how heavy it feels but so far I haven't felt a need to balance the other side with anything. I might throw a small bag on there for spare cards, batteries, etc, or the 50 1.4.

HAWK Photography Gallery (external link) FB Fan page (external link)|_My gear: 5d3, 70D & 40D (all gripped), 580exII, 550ex, Canon 24-70 L & 85 f1.8, 50mm f1.4; Tamron 70-200 SP Di VC, Canon 18-55, Sigma 1.4xtc; Elinchrom Whore, Skyport triggers, Speedotron BD and Kacey Grid, Vagabond minis

DerekW
Goldmember
1,211 posts
Joined May 2007

Feb 11, 2010 17:00 |  #28

Thanks alot guys... I ordered one yesterday... buggers

RWatkins
Goldmember
1,229 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Feb 12, 2010 04:17 |  #29

Just got back tonight from a trip to Florida where I used the Spider Holster at the shuttle launch (including the scrub day), Merritt Island/Cocoa Beach/Cocoa Village, Kennedy Space Center, Disney Downtown,Universal Studios, Magic Kingdom, and Epcot.

Weaknesses
- The "sticking out" can be a problem; especially w/ guard rails.
- Belt system tended to pull down pants (Person I was with started to call Mr. Underwear)

Strengths
- Can easily hold a flash
- Good weight distribution
- Awesome fit-and-finish
- Easy to move around

My typical load was a 5D mark II, 580 EX II flash and a 100 mm 2.8 L macro lens (or a 50 mm 1.8.)

Overall, it preformed great. There were a few issues, but to be fair, I think the Cotton Carrier system would have the same issue(s).

Stuff and things
President – International Brotherhood of Instagram Haters

vitacura
Goldmember
1,514 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Feb 12, 2010 18:45 |  #30

This spider holster looks pretty darn practical. I may just pull the trigger on one.

Gear & Feedback

sponsored links

23,624 views & 0 likes for this thread
Anyone else buy the Spider Holster?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.