Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 31 Jan 2010 (Sunday) 00:39
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Anyone else buy the Spider Holster?

sabesh
678 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Feb 12, 2010 21:55 |  #31

RWatkins wrote in post #9594296 (external link)
<snip>
- Belt system tended to pull down pants (Person I was with started to call Mr. Underwear) <snip>

LOL, I had the same problem recently while shooting a wedding wearing a Think Tank Digital Holster 20 housing a Canon 70-200/2.8IS lens on a Think Tank Speed Belt Pro ;)

Same with the Cotton Carrier Holster on the TT Pro belt. These Holster solutions are just not for me (wearing a harness to secure is just too much). I'm going back to the Blackrapid DR-1, which is a simple, easy-to-use solution. Cheers.

Sony A7R-II | 16-35FE | 24-70FE | 28FE | 55FE | 70-200FE ~FlickR (external link)

sponsored links
RWatkins
Goldmember
1,229 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Feb 12, 2010 22:21 |  #32

sabesh wrote in post #9599602 (external link)
LOL, I had the same problem recently while shooting a wedding wearing a Think Tank Digital Holster 20 housing a Canon 70-200/2.8IS lens on Think Tank Speed Belt Pro ;)

Same with the Cotton Carrier Holster on the TT Pro belt. These Holster solutions are just not for me (wearing a harness to secure is just too much). I'm going back to the Blackrapid DR-1, which is a simple, easy-to-use solution. Cheers.

The only way I found around this constraint was to hike my pants higher than a 70 year old shuffle board player at Boca.

Stuff and things
President – International Brotherhood of Instagram Haters

Collin85
Cream of the Crop
8,164 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Feb 12, 2010 22:39 |  #33

AlanU wrote in post #9508730 (external link)
I dont own the new BlackRapid "brad" but what drives me nuts is when the strap's shoulder pad moves away from the shoulder. I will admit the BlackRapid system is extremely handy but I want to compliment it with a different system.

Alan, I'm glad you're enjoying your new Spider system. Regarding the shoulder pad moving, the key is to enforce friction at all times (as advised by BlackRapid themselves). When you swing your camera up to shoot, you should always be doing so at an arc, such that a certain amount of friction exists between the strap and shoulder exists at all times. Many people, instead, swing the camera up almost in a linear fashion, inevitably resulting in the strap moving. Personally, I've never had an issue with the strap moving from my shoulder (and by never having an issue, I literally mean the strap never having moved before!). :) My only beef with the system relates to how the camera swings at the hips - one of the reasons I'm keen on trying out the Spider myself.

midnight_rider wrote in post #9510503 (external link)
I had the coupleR and it was a joke.

If you have two CoupleRs, the system works like magic. I played around with different combos and found that if you have one near the top at the front of your body (near your neck) and one at the rear (near the back of your neck), you can literally wear the dual-strap setup like a vest. Very secure, very comfortable, very functional. Single CoupleRs don't work so well.

Col | Flickr (external link)

Sony A7 + Leica 50 Lux ASPH, Oly E-M5 + 12/2
Canon 5D3, 16-35L, 50L, 85L, 135L

pnmd
Goldmember
1,852 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Feb 13, 2010 00:29 |  #34

RWatkins wrote in post #9599731 (external link)
The only way I found around this constraint was to hike my pants higher than a 70 year old shuffle board player at Boca.

LOL, love it :)
Get some cargo pants with drawstring. And also, instead of wearing the Spider belt tight like the video, I wear it loose and it hangs below my jeans waist line. With the mod, I use my left hand to release camera from holster which helps keeps holster in place. So there's no need for the belt to be tight like real gun holsters where you're drawing camera out with just right hand and holster can ride up if not tight. I hate tight ;)

Peter
Facebook (external link)
behind the scenes (external link)
500px (external link)

AlanU
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
7,535 posts
Gallery: 127 photos
Joined Feb 2008

Feb 13, 2010 01:32 |  #35

Collin85 wrote in post #9599842 (external link)
Alan, I'm glad you're enjoying your new Spider system. Regarding the shoulder pad moving, the key is to enforce friction at all times (as advised by BlackRapid themselves). When you swing your camera up to shoot, you should always be doing so at an arc, such that a certain amount of friction exists between the strap and shoulder exists at all times. Many people, instead, swing the camera up almost in a linear fashion, inevitably resulting in the strap moving. Personally, I've never had an issue with the strap moving from my shoulder (and by never having an issue, I literally mean the strap never having moved before!). :) My only beef with the system relates to how the camera swings at the hips - one of the reasons I'm keen on trying out the Spider myself.

If you have two CoupleRs, the system works like magic. I played around with different combos and found that if you have one near the top at the front of your body (near your neck) and one at the rear (near the back of your neck), you can literally wear the dual-strap setup like a vest. Very secure, very comfortable, very functional. Single CoupleRs don't work so well.

Thanks for the "arc" tip. The migrating shoulder strap isn't that bad. I still love using the Black rapid strap.

Yesterday I tested out my spider holster as I was taking pictures of the Olympic torch run. I had my 5dc w/ 70-200 and my 5dmkII w/ 17-40 on my neck strap. It worked incredibly seamless. The spider fits so snug to your side and is well supported. I even brought my RS4 BR strap just in case I didn't feel comfortable using the spider. Spider holster worked extremely well.

5Dmkiv |5Dmkiii | 24LmkII | 85 mkII L | | 16-35L mkII | 24-70 f/2.8L mkii| 70-200 f/2.8 ISL mkII| 600EX-RT x2 | 580 EX II x2 | Einstein's
Fuji - gone
Sony 2 x A7iii w/ Sigma MC-11 adapter | GM16-35 f/2.8 | Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 | GM70-200 f/2.8 |Sigma Art 24 f/1.4 | Sigma ART 35 f/1.2 | FE85 f/1.8 | Sigma ART 105 f/1.4 | Godox V860iiS & V1S

RWatkins
Goldmember
1,229 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Feb 13, 2010 12:27 |  #36

pnmd wrote in post #9600314 (external link)
LOL, love it :)
Get some cargo pants with drawstring. And also, instead of wearing the Spider belt tight like the video, I wear it loose and it hangs below my jeans waist line. With the mod, I use my left hand to release camera from holster which helps keeps holster in place. So there's no need for the belt to be tight like real gun holsters where you're drawing camera out with just right hand and holster can ride up if not tight. I hate tight ;)

I was thinking more of suspenders. Back in the day when I was in ROTC in college, we had to carry 10 pounds of gear in our BDU pants on FTX's, which also pulled them down. A prior service guy clued me on tactical suspenders, which were olive drab suspenders with hooks on the end and not clamps. Anyhow, they worked like a charm. When I get more time next week, I was going to try to rig up a like system.

However, before that, I'll just try your suggestion and loosen it ups somewhat.

Stuff and things
President – International Brotherhood of Instagram Haters

WorldIRC
67 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Feb 13, 2010 13:06 |  #37

This system looks very intriguing!

AlanU
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
7,535 posts
Gallery: 127 photos
Joined Feb 2008

Feb 14, 2010 22:37 |  #38

The Thinktank modular set works perfectly with the spider belt. I'm really diggin' the spider in conjunction with my Think tank lens bags.

5Dmkiv |5Dmkiii | 24LmkII | 85 mkII L | | 16-35L mkII | 24-70 f/2.8L mkii| 70-200 f/2.8 ISL mkII| 600EX-RT x2 | 580 EX II x2 | Einstein's
Fuji - gone
Sony 2 x A7iii w/ Sigma MC-11 adapter | GM16-35 f/2.8 | Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 | GM70-200 f/2.8 |Sigma Art 24 f/1.4 | Sigma ART 35 f/1.2 | FE85 f/1.8 | Sigma ART 105 f/1.4 | Godox V860iiS & V1S

pnmd
Goldmember
1,852 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Feb 14, 2010 23:15 |  #39

AlanU wrote in post #9610729 (external link)
The Thinktank modular set works perfectly with the spider belt. I'm really diggin' the spider in conjunction with my Think tank lens bags.

Congrats! Still loving mine :)
Let's see some pics with your modular set

Peter
Facebook (external link)
behind the scenes (external link)
500px (external link)

piter78
42 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Mar 25, 2011 12:12 as a reply to  @ pnmd's post |  #40

Hi,

I bought Spider Holster and I'm happy with it! :D Finally I have both hands free. I'm not worried about camera swinging on shoulder strap.

imperfections:
- creaking when walking (use candle wax)
- spider base show some "cupping" of the pin's ball head (use upgrade base)
- unnaturally ballast hip (wear once left once right hip)

Piotr (my macro equipment (external link) gallery)
Canon EOS 400D | Tamron 17-50 f2.8 | Canon 70-300 f4/5.6 | Canon 50 f1.8 | Canon 430 EXII | Canon MT-24EX

Echo63
Goldmember
2,868 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Mar 25, 2011 12:38 |  #41

I was looking at these at a photographic expo last year, and have been wanting to try on ever since.
I hate camera Straps, and have managed to damage 2 cameras when the straps slipped off my shoulders.
Only thing I can't really see doing with the spyderco system is running, as the cameras will bounce around a lot.
I may take a punt and buy one system and see if it works for me and what I do.
At least it won't interfere with a backpack strap the way the normal sling straps do

My Best Imageswww.echo63.deviantart.​com (external link)
Gear listhttps://photography-on-the.net …p?p=2463426&pos​tcount=385

Tdragone
Goldmember
2,188 posts
Joined Sep 2004

Mar 25, 2011 12:49 |  #42

I use mine a lot with a 1Dmkiv and a 100-400; and I haven't yet had ANY wear in the base. And yes, I run while using this configuration and shooting paintball. (scenario, not speedball) as well as hiking and airshows. the only hting I hate is when I forget to 'lock' my 100-400 and the lens zooms out. Aside from that, I couldn't be happier with it!

-Tom Dragonetti
Spyder Holster + 1Dmk IV, 50D, G11
10-22, 16-35 2.8Lii, , 24-70 2.8Lii, 50mm 1.4,
70-200 2.8Lii IS, 100-400L IS
1.4x TC, 580EX ii, ST-E2

piter78
42 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Mar 25, 2011 17:09 as a reply to  @ Tdragone's post |  #43

I think, SpiderHolster is irreplaceable when you have to be in constant motion. Well-made and surprisingly packed.

Piotr (my macro equipment (external link) gallery)
Canon EOS 400D | Tamron 17-50 f2.8 | Canon 70-300 f4/5.6 | Canon 50 f1.8 | Canon 430 EXII | Canon MT-24EX

dog ­ rocket
931 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Mar 26, 2011 00:43 |  #44

Just ordered the kit to go with my ThinkTank belt. Looking forward to playing with it.

Randy...

Seek
33 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Mar 28, 2011 07:58 as a reply to  @ dog rocket's post |  #45

I've used the spider holster on a number of occasions so far and thus far no complaints. Here are some of the things I learned about the system and my experience with it.
First of all Shai is a GREAT person to work with. I am currently waiting to upgrade my camera to a 5Dmarkiii and still have my non-pro body. However I bought the pro-holster and therefore the spider plate covers the battery door. I had to make some personal mods to fix that but Shai assured me in a month they would be coming out with an improved "thin" plate that would accomodate smaller bodies and the battery door issue. I am not talking about the current thin plate but another version.

I also use the spider holster on my think tank belt. I do quite a bit of hiking (every week) and one thing I noticed is that the camera does swing and hit my hip every so often even though I know on their website and other videos I see that people say the tt belt is thick enough to prevent this. In my personal experience however I find it does bother my hip - maybe because I do more hiking than the average photographer. Therefore I saw that Shai now has a think tank pad as well for relatively cheap which I am going to order and recommend if you are an avid hiker or backpacker.

I have been very impressed with the holster so far. It is a wonderful system, and if you leave it tucked under your shirt - it looks pretty good! However since I like to leave it under my shirt the belt can get a bit sweaty if you know what I mean. So I just wrap a bandanna around the back of the belt to protect the belt from getting odorlicious.
Anyway those are some points so far, its a great system and Shai is just awesome at responding and trying to make sure that he delivers a QUALITY product. 5 stars all the way.

sponsored links

23,533 views & 0 likes for this thread
Anyone else buy the Spider Holster?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.