Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 31 Jan 2010 (Sunday) 15:03
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Filter for Sigma 10-20mm

ProD1gy_KiD
894 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Nov 2009

Jan 31, 2010 15:03 |  #1

which is a good filter for a Sigma 10-20mm? decent price is good idk whether i should get a slim etc. need help. thanks

sponsored links
FuturamaJSP
Goldmember
2,227 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Jan 31, 2010 15:13 |  #2

meh I only use a CPL when it is needed on mine I just don't think it is worth spending a lot on a slim filter for a half decent lens and the only time I would want a protective filter is when I shoot storm clouds in the summer

They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I said I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard! - Fallout New Vegas
blah blah blah
DA (external link)

ProD1gy_KiD
THREAD ­ STARTER
894 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Jan 31, 2010 15:15 as a reply to  @ FuturamaJSP's post |  #3

does it reduce IQ and image quality when you use a filter? maybe im just too iffy about damaging the front element of the lens. :(

FuturamaJSP
Goldmember
2,227 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Jan 31, 2010 15:31 |  #4

lol well on my Sigma it doesn't matter if I use a filter or not the IQ would still be quite ****ty :S The problem is that it produces images with an area that is quite soft even at F/8. From what I have heard you don't really need a very expensive slim filter for that lens but not a too cheap one either. One of those Hoya multi-coated filters should be good enough.

They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I said I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard! - Fallout New Vegas
blah blah blah
DA (external link)

themadman
Cream of the Crop
18,871 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Jan 31, 2010 15:44 |  #5

Hoya HD filters will protect without a doubt =)

http://www.youtube.com​/watch?v=MI886v9j_0M (external link)

It will protect your lens from all those flying hammers =)

Will | WilliamLiuPhotography.​com (external link) | Gear List and Feedback | CPS Member | Have you Pre-Ordered Your 3Dx Yet? | HorusBennu Discussion | In honor of Uncle Steve, thanks for everything! 10-5-2011

ProD1gy_KiD
THREAD ­ STARTER
894 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Jan 31, 2010 15:48 as a reply to  @ themadman's post |  #6

mehhh 100+ filter is out of my pocket range. it is pretty sweet though im just getting this one. i think it is good enough though. http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …traviolet_UV_0_​Super.html (external link)

themadman
Cream of the Crop
18,871 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Jan 31, 2010 15:50 |  #7

Super HMC filters are very nice. I've got one of those on my Sigma 10-20 =)

Will | WilliamLiuPhotography.​com (external link) | Gear List and Feedback | CPS Member | Have you Pre-Ordered Your 3Dx Yet? | HorusBennu Discussion | In honor of Uncle Steve, thanks for everything! 10-5-2011

themadman
Cream of the Crop
18,871 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Jan 31, 2010 15:51 |  #8

The Super HMC filters actually have better light transmission than the HD filters, the HD filters are just tough as nails =) (no pun intended)

Lantz
992 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2009

Jan 31, 2010 15:54 |  #9

themadman wrote in post #9512169 (external link)
Hoya HD filters will protect without a doubt =)

http://www.youtube.com​/watch?v=MI886v9j_0M (external link)

It will protect your lens from all those flying hammers =)

I dont disagree that the HD filters might protect better but that test conducted fair, the non HD had a larger diameter than the HD thus easier to break

sponsored links

1,488 views & 0 likes for this thread
Filter for Sigma 10-20mm
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.