Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 01 Feb 2010 (Monday) 23:13
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Feisol 3341s / Photo Clam PC-33NS Review

BigBlueDodge
Goldmember
3,726 posts
Joined May 2005

Feb 01, 2010 23:13 |  #1

Well, as promised from another thread, I am posting my review of the Feisol 3341s / Photo Clam PC-33NS ball head.

Background
With some upcoming vacations planned for this year, I decided to bite the bullet and get a small travel tripod. I currently have a Manfrotto 3021B Pro tripod with Manfrotto 488RC2 ballhead, and while it was a huge step up from the previous tripod I had, it is large and heavy. It's not something I wanted to take with me, so it became my "house tripod". So, in my quest for the next tripod, I hit the POTN forums for research. My budget was $500 and I wanted it to be as light and small as possible, without sacrificing to much stability. I very quickly realized that a CF was what I needed, and based on the reviews posted here I had narrowed my selection to the Feisol and Benro Travel Angel. Ultimately, I went with the Feisol/Photo Clam combo.

I placed my order from ReallyBigCameras.com. Kerry was super nice, and answered all of the questions I had. He shipped it the same day I placed my order. My package was actually attempted for delivery on Friday, but I was not home, and Kerry required a signature, so back to the Post Office it went. I didn't get to pick up the package until Monday. I would highly recommend purchasing from him, and just remember that he requires signature confirmation on the package, so plan on being home when it is delivered.

I bought the following

Feisol 3341s Tripod
Photo Clam PC-33NS Ball Head
Photo Clam PC-52-UP2 Universal Plate
Photo Clam 5D MarkII-UP2 Plate (specially designed for 5D MKII body)

I currently own the Manfrotto 3021B Pro/488RC2 head and Manfrotto 681B monopod with 3229 Tilt head. So my review will be comparing the Feisol/Photo Clam head with those.

Usage
The purpose of this tripod was for travel, so I wanted it as small and light as possible. I knew that if I was going to take it with me, it had to be light. Otherwise I'd leave it in the hotel room. For me, travel generally means an ungripped body, with wide/normal lenses. What I had in mind was things like my 5D MKII (ungripped) and 17-40 or 24-70, or maybe even a prime (such as 24L up to 85L). I don't generally use my 70-200L or 300L for travel.

Weight
The Feisol 3341s & Photo Clam combo come in at a total weight of mere 2.9lbs. The 3341s is listed as 2.2lbs and the Photo Clam PC-33NS is listed as 0.7lbs. For me, this is quite impressive when you consider that 2.9lbs has a load rating of 22lbs. That is more than enought to handle most travel combo's comfortably. If you like to travel with one of the super telephotos (300L/400L/500L) then this probably isn't for you, but I have not doubt that this combo is suitable for most everything else.

Compared to my Manfrotto 3021B Pro/488RC2 combo, the Feisol/Photo Clam is night and day difference in weight. The 3021B/488RC2 combo weigh in at a hefty 6.7lbs (5.3lbs for legs | 1.47lbs for head). Also, the 3021B Pro legs are only rated at 13.3lbs load capacity. So even though the Manfrotto combo weights over 2x more than the Feisol/Photo Clam combo, the Feisol/Photo Clam combo can support 8lbs more load capacity.

Size
Feisol lists the 3341s as 16.9" long when folded. Based on what I was seeing with the Benro, I was expecting to add about an inch to that with the ball head mounted, but was very excited to see that the total length did not change with the Photo Clam head mounted.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

I actually found the tripod to be around 16.5" long. There is a stud on the center column (where the hook attaches to) that extends slightly out, causing the overall length to be 16.9". However, for practically purposes it is closer to 16.5". Here is the shot of the stud, I'm referring to. I actually wish that there was a way to cover up this stud, or at least make it flush with something. It is used for attaching the hook, but my thought is that if I'm not using the hook, then the stud shouldn't be there. It just kinda sticks out. I wish Feisol would have changed the design so that the stud was mounted on the hook, so that when you weren't using the hook, then no stud would be there.

IMAGE NOT FOUND

Something to consider about the 16.9" rating. This length is the legs WITHOUT the center column hook attached. With the hook attached, the tripod is over 18" long. If you like to leave the hook on, then consider that. Here you can see the center hook attached.
IMAGE NOT FOUND

When folded, the width is about 3.75" inches wide at the base.
IMAGE NOT FOUND

The only other tripod I have is the Manfrotto 3021B Pro with 488RC2 head. This is a VERY common tripod, and was regularly recommended for the $250 and under crowd. The 3021B is no longer is in production, as Manfrotto has replaced it with the 055XB model. From what I can tell,the two are very similar with the exception to the body mounting where the center column attaches. Here you can see the Feisol/Photo Clam combo compared to the Manfrotto
IMAGE NOT FOUND

As you can see, there is a significant difference between the two when folded. The Feiso is almost half as small as the Manfrotto. Unfolded, there is still a big difference, but not as big as when folded.
IMAGE NOT FOUND

Leg Locks
The Feisol uses twist locks, while the Manfrotto uses lever locks. The main gripe about the Feisol is that the legs do not contain the anti leg rotation (ALR) feature found in the Gitzo tripods. This feature prevents the legs from twisting while attempting to lock/unlock the twist locks. This was my main concern about purchasing the Feisol, but I can honestly say that it is not that big of a deal once I got the legs. Would it be convienent to have the ALR style legs...... sure. But do I feel that the Feisol legs are any lesser for not having them....absolutely not. I've not really used twist lock legs before (as my Manfrotto has lever locks). However, I was quite surprised at how quickly I was able to work with them. I'm not concerned about this in the least bit now.

David (aka BigBlueDodge)
Gear

sponsored links
BigBlueDodge
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,726 posts
Joined May 2005

Feb 01, 2010 23:14 |  #2

Setup

Now let's take a look at how the Feisol compares to the Manfrotto with legs fully extracted. With the center column in the down position, you can see that the Manfrotto is taller than the Feisol. There is roughly a 6 inch difference between the two.

IMAGE NOT FOUND

However, with the center column fully extended on both tripods, the story changes. In this configuration, the Feisol is about .5" taller than the Manfrotto. I was actually surprised by the Feisol. I *thought* that it has a single piece center column. I was surprised to know that it was in fact a 2 piece center column that extended quite long.
IMAGE NOT FOUND

In the extended mode, both tripods offer MORE than enough height. I am 6" tall, and the Feisol with Photo Clam head is actually taller then me. Add 4-5" more inches to that once you get the camera mounted. Height is not something I worry about.

Ballhead
The Photo Clam is a new arrival on the scene. Their heads are essentially copies of Markins heads (both Markins and Photo Clam make their heads in Korea). For my travel needs, I wanted a smaller head, that would provide adequate support, but not be bulky. As you can see below, the Photo Clam is significantly smaller than the 488RC2. The 488RC2 weighs in at 1.47lbs, while the PhotoClam weights in at .7lbs. What is surprising is that the Photo Clam has a 66lbs load rating, while the 488RC2 only has a 17.6lbs load capacity. This is VERY impressive in my opinion, once you consider the size difference. Additionally, the Photo Clam head has a built in level, which is quite nice for times when I want to be precise about getting my photo's leveled off.

The Manfrotto uses the Manfrotto RC2 quick release plates, while the Photo Clam uses the Arca style plates. Personally, I like the design of the 488RC2 head, with the lever. I find that it is very quick to pop camera/lens on that head with a quick flick of the lever. The Photo Clam requires me to twist the knob to release the plates.

I can tell you that there is no comparison between the heads. The Photo Clam is so much more solid/smooth than the Manfrotto. My 488RC2 has the classic droop problem (where you get the camera frame just like you want it, lock in the head by twisting the knob, and then when you let go, the head droops by a slight amount). This is frustrating at times when I'm doing precise stuff. The Photo Clam, you just lock it in and it's good to go. I do notice that there is some play in the ball head tension knob. The knob rocks back and forth, almost like it is loose. I don't know if this is normal or not, but I am going to follow up with Kerry. I'm hoping that this is a defective knob and that it can be replaced. Otherwise, if this is normal, this might cause me to return the head.

Update: I received a replacement ball head from Kerry. Kerry indicated that I should expect some play/movement in the ball lock knob, if I used the friction control knob. The amount of play would be proportional to the amount of friction control used (i.e no friction control would mean no play, max friction control would be lot of play). Kerry indicated that this play/movement was a function of the design, and was similar in other ball heads from other manufacturers. I can state that the replacement ballhead was much tighter in it's operation and had less play/movement than the previous model. I am very happy with the replacement.
IMAGE NOT FOUND

Here is a shot of the Photo Clam tension knob. The smaller knob, is the panning lock knob.
IMAGE NOT FOUND

David (aka BigBlueDodge)
Gear

BigBlueDodge
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,726 posts
Joined May 2005

Feb 01, 2010 23:14 |  #3

Since I have the Manfrotto head, I didn't have any Arca style plates. Kerry also sells Photo Clam branded plates, so I bought a couple of those. He mentioned that Photo Clam has a plate specially designed for the Canon 5D MKII that contours to the body, and prevents camera twist. The price of this plate was $39 compared to $32 for a Universal plate. For me, the $7 difference was a no brainer, so I bought 1 5D MKII plate, plus 1 universal plate for my 50D or other lenses if need be. Here you can see the 5D MKII plate mounted on my 5D MKII.

Front View

IMAGE NOT FOUND

Rear View
IMAGE NOT FOUND

It's important to note that the plate is designed for an UNGRIPPED 5D. It does not fit the 5D with a grip. For that purpose you will need to universal plate.

The Manfrotto plates have a larger area of rubber surface, compared to the Photo Clam plates. Here you can see the Manfrotto plate compared to the Photo Clam plate. I assume that more rubber coverage would contribute to a more solid fit to the camera/lens without slippage. Also, note the slotted ends on the Phot Clam plate. These slots would allow you to use a hand strap without a grip on the camera. This would be very convienent, as I LOVE to use a handstrap on my camera. I'm not sure if that is what they were designed for, but I am sure I will use them for that purpose.
IMAGE NOT FOUND

Also, I'm not sure if it is specific to the Photo Clam plates, or the Arca Plates in general, but the screw that attaches the plate to the camera uses a slotted head. So you will need a coin, or screwdriver to secure it to the camera/lens. I prefer the Manfrotto approach of using a metal loop that you can twist with your fingers to attach the plate to the camera/lens. It is much more convienent than trying to tighten it with a coin, or carry a screwdriver around.

Here is a shot of the screws
IMAGE NOT FOUND

Also, I'm not sure if it matters or not, but the Photo Clam plates are fairly thin, or at least compared to the Manfrotto plates. The Manfrotto plates feel much more substantial, but are also heavier. I'm not really concerned about the size of the plates, as I'm sure that both are more than adequate for my needs. I just thought I'd point it out.
IMAGE NOT FOUND

David (aka BigBlueDodge)
Gear

BigBlueDodge
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,726 posts
Joined May 2005

Feb 01, 2010 23:15 |  #4

Miscellaneous

Tripod Bag
The Feisol legs come with a bag. The bag is a medium weight nylon, and is quite decent and should hold up to normal use. The tripod is a rather tight fit, but I'm sure the bag will loosen up with use. The bag suffers from one problem, in my opinion, and that is the horrible design around it. The strap that is attached to the bag, attaches to the bottom, and TOP of the tripod bag.

IMAGE NOT FOUND

This design makes it really clumsy to get the tripod in/out of the bag, because the strap gets in the way when you open close it. I would have much preferred that Feisol attach the strap to side of the bag, rather than the top. This way you could get the tripod in/out of the bag, with the strap still on your shoulder. The current design does not allow that, and requires you to remove the strap from your shoulder.
IMAGE NOT FOUND

Feisol Foam Leg Covers
The Manfrotto tripod comes with foam leg covers on 2 of the 3 legs. Feisol installs foam covers on all 3 of the legs. However, the foam is very soft, unlike the Manfrotto which uses a more solid, firm foam. It is hard for me to guess right now, but I don't know how well the foam on the Feisol will hold up over time. I worry that it is almost "too soft", and could easily get chunks scraped out of it. Only time will tell.

Quality
I understand that Gitzo and Markins seem to be the current favorites when people think of Quality. I was fully aware that I should not expect Gitzo/Markins quality at almost 1/2 the cost by purchasing the Feisol/Photo Clam combo. I know that I should expect comprimises, given the substantial cost differences. However, I can tell you that I am very pleased with the quality of these legs and head for the price I paid.

Customer Support
This is not really related to the ballhead/legs, but rather who bought them from. I bought these items from Kerry Thalman who owns www.reallybigcameras.c​om (external link). Kerry has been nothing but a delight in working with throughout my purchase. I sent him what seemed like a million questions before I purchased both items, and each time Kerry put together a long detailed response to each one. He took the time to make sure I knew everything I needed to feel confident about the purchase. When I bought the legs/head, Kerry shipped both items out same day. After the purchase, Kerry continued to offer support. After I notified him of my ball head issue, he asked that I send it back to him. He then refunded me the shipping costs to return to him. Additionally, because he knew I was going on a vacation very soon, he shipped me out the replacement ball head BEFORE he even received my ballhead at no cost to me. It is not often these days, where a gentlemans's word matters, but Kerry trusted that I had mailed him my ballhead, and sent me the replacement without even receiving mine.

I cannot stress enough, my pleasure working with Kerry. I intended to continue ordering from him in the future, as I'd like to pick up a CF monopod, and some accessories for the Feisol.

Conclusion
After it was all said and done, I am very happy with this combo (assuming I get the ball head issue resolved). I would highly recommend Feisol legs, and Photo Clam ball heads. Spending $500 for a tripod/head is not something everyone is willing to do, including me. I kept thinking that $500 would get me alot of other things, and I doubted if I was spending that money wisely on a tripod/head. After recieving these items, and playing around with them, I have no regrets on making the purchase. I'm sure camera bodies & lenses come and go, but these legs and head will be with me for a while.

David (aka BigBlueDodge)
Gear

ianlti
229 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Feb 01, 2010 23:28 |  #5

There is no photos?(edit: i always ignore the red line, sorry)

Ian
Gear List
Flickr (external link)

Mocows
Goldmember
1,055 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Feb 01, 2010 23:31 |  #6

Subscribed, can't wait for the full review :)

Edit: Great review, looks like a solid setup.

7D | XSi + Phottix Grip | 400 F/5.6 | 70-200 F/4 | Sigma 30 f/1.4 | Sigma 10-20 f/4-5.6 |430ex | Horusbennu C-2830V | Photo Clam PC-33
flickr gallery (external link)

bohdank
Cream of the Crop
14,060 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Feb 02, 2010 06:48 |  #7

Thanks for taking the time to write that review.

I am, so far, pleased with my Feisol 3442 + Markins M10 + RRS B2 LRII.

Not having the anti rotation locks on the legs is no big deal for me.

Bohdan - I may be, and probably am, completely wrong.
Gear List

Montreal Concert, Event and Portrait Photographer (external link)
Flickr (external link)

Methodical
Cream of the Crop
7,847 posts
Gallery: 235 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Oct 2008

Feb 02, 2010 07:11 |  #8

I too own a Feisol CF tripod (Tournament 3342) that I use with my 500L and quite thrilled with it. It weighs just under 2.5lbs and very sturdy and supports up to 23lbs. I too don't have concerns about the anti twist legs; I have my pattern for setting up and breaking down. I agree with the strap on the bag but at least it comes with a bag unlike the Manfrottos (055x) but I don't use the bag as of yet. I think the strap is designed that way for leverage or stability; it's easy to work around though.

Nice write up

Gear
MethodicalImages (external link)
Flickr (external link)
"Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the Ark, professionals built the Titanic"

MrGreen
Goldmember
1,252 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Feb 02, 2010 12:42 |  #9

Nice review. I think now there are quite a few Feisol and Photo Clam reviews on this site, and others. Not the "new and untested" equipment people like to call them anymore.

My site: www.millionflame.com (external link)
Gear: 7D - Zeikos Grip, Rebel XTi/400D - Opteka Grip, EF 24-105mm f/4L, EF 100mm f/2.8L MACRO, EF 50mm f/1.8 (Nifty Fifty), EF-s 55-250mm (Nifty Two-Fifty), Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8, Σ 150-500mm (Bigmos), Σ 35mm f/1.4, Σ 85mm f/1.4, Feisol CT-3442 CF Tripod, Photo Clam PC-40NS Ball head, 580 EX II Flash

Jdmhood
455 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Feb 02, 2010 14:16 |  #10

Great review. Hows the leg's stabilty? Does it slightly vibrate if you touch it when loaded with a pro camera and long lens? 70-200 f/2.8L +?

Also, how low does the tripod get down to the ground? Does the legs lock outwards?

Bodies- 5D Mark II | 7D
Gear- Canon 100L IS Macro | Canon 135L | Sigma 50/1.4 EX DG | Canon 70-200L 2.8 Mark II | Canon 24-70L | Canon 50 f/1.8 | Canon 1.4 Extender | Speedlite 430 EX II | Speedlite 580 EX II | Kenko Extension Tube Set | Feisol CT-3442 Tripod | Feisol CM-1471 Monopod | Photo Clam PC-44NS ballhead
Currently Reading- Within the Frame: The Journey of Photographic Vision by David duChemin (external link)

BigBlueDodge
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,726 posts
Joined May 2005

Feb 02, 2010 15:02 |  #11

Jdmhood wrote in post #9526357 (external link)
Hows the leg's stabilty? Does it slightly vibrate if you touch it when loaded with a pro camera and long lens? 70-200 f/2.8L +?

My initial impression is that the legs are very stable (much better than my Manfrotto legs). I only mounted my 5D/24-70 on it though. I will do some tests with my 70-200 f/2.8 IS tonight to see how it reacts to a larger lens. I actually have a good test in mind that will allow you to see the stability between the two. Stay tuned!

Also, how low does the tripod get down to the ground? Does the legs lock outwards?

The legs do lock outwards, and at various angles in between. I'll get some more pictures posted tonight showing how low it gets.

David (aka BigBlueDodge)
Gear

Methodical
Cream of the Crop
7,847 posts
Gallery: 235 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Oct 2008

Feb 02, 2010 15:02 |  #12

If I am not mistaken, you can buy a short center column that will allow you to get closer to the ground. Or just remove the column all together

...Also, how low does the tripod get down to the ground? Does the legs lock outwards?

Gear
MethodicalImages (external link)
Flickr (external link)
"Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the Ark, professionals built the Titanic"

BigBlueDodge
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,726 posts
Joined May 2005

Feb 02, 2010 15:06 |  #13

MrGreen wrote in post #9525705 (external link)
Nice review. I think now there are quite a few Feisol and Photo Clam reviews on this site, and others. Not the "new and untested" equipment people like to call them anymore.

I think Feisol has surpassed the "new to the scene" stage, as they have been recommended on this forum for a couple of years now. They are solid, lower cost performers to Gitzo. The bigger unknown is the Photo Clam heads, but they are getting lot of attention. The head I received appeared to have a defective ball locking knob, and is being returned to Kerry for a replacement. Kerry indicated that this is the first issues he has seen from the heads, so I'm hopeful that my experience is not representative of their quality. Aside, from the ball locking knob, I was very impressed with the overal functioning of the head. Everything was nice and smooth, with tight finishes and lock down clamping force for the head. What I've seen thus far indicates that I don't need to be giving up on Photo Clam right yet.

David (aka BigBlueDodge)
Gear

plasticmotif
Goldmember
3,174 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Feb 02, 2010 16:14 |  #14

I'm replacing my giottos with a photoclam head...I just want the red.

Mac P.
My Zenfolio (external link) My Photo Blog (external link) My Equipment
https://photography-on-the.net …p?p=14172975#po​st14172975

BigBlueDodge
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,726 posts
Joined May 2005

Feb 02, 2010 18:03 |  #15

plasticmotif wrote in post #9527109 (external link)
I'm replacing my giottos with a photoclam head...I just want the red.

red is cool....:cool:

David (aka BigBlueDodge)
Gear

sponsored links

41,164 views & 0 likes for this thread
Feisol 3341s / Photo Clam PC-33NS Review
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.