Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 03 Feb 2010 (Wednesday) 01:52
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

I think there is a problem with my 5D's LCD screen

Digital ­ Panda
465 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2009

Feb 03, 2010 01:52 |  #1

When I view pictures on the back LCD screen, the colors look weird, almost like they are posterized. However, everything else about the camera is working fine, as well as the pictures which come out great after being uploaded to a computer. Also, when I squeeze the bottom of the camera, it corrects the colors on the LCD screen temperarely. What is going on here?!

IMAGE: http://i45.tinypic.com/2iliro8.jpg

IMAGE: http://i45.tinypic.com/281gdb9.jpg

Canon 5DIII | 16-35mm f/4L IS | 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS II | 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye | 24mm f/1.4 L II | 100mm f/2.8 L macro IS
Connect with me on Facebook! (external link)

sponsored links
GavinTing
142 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Feb 03, 2010 06:13 |  #2

Im guessing one of the cables inside the camera connecting the LCD is loose?

Ever so happy with my 1D classic

bohdank
Cream of the Crop
14,060 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Feb 03, 2010 06:21 |  #3

Looks like the panel is being slightly bent and putting pressure on it, straigtens it out.

Bohdan - I may be, and probably am, completely wrong.
Gear List

Montreal Concert, Event and Portrait Photographer (external link)
Flickr (external link)

Digital ­ Panda
THREAD ­ STARTER
465 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Feb 03, 2010 10:07 |  #4

Is there a fix?

Canon 5DIII | 16-35mm f/4L IS | 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS II | 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye | 24mm f/1.4 L II | 100mm f/2.8 L macro IS

Digital ­ Panda
THREAD ­ STARTER
465 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Feb 03, 2010 10:47 |  #5

ahhh.. I'm freaking out :(

spacetime
Goldmember
1,276 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Feb 03, 2010 11:04 |  #6

What's the first digit of the serial number. I've seen people with 0 and 1 serial numbers complain about the poor quality of the lcd. I wonder how much Canon would charge to repair this.

Brett
Goldmember
4,176 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Feb 03, 2010 12:35 |  #7

So, the bottom image is what it looks like with no "pressure"?

If so, that camera needs to be repaired. Or, just use the LCD for histogram, since it's useless for determining critical focus anyway.

I'd have it fixed.

flickr (external link)

Digital ­ Panda
THREAD ­ STARTER
465 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Feb 03, 2010 18:59 |  #8

bohdank wrote in post #9531181 (external link)
Looks like the panel is being slightly bent and putting pressure on it, straigtens it out.

This sounds like the most realistic sceneario. The problem seems to be controllable, if I squeeze the bottom of the camera (directly below the LCD screen), the problem is fixed until release pressure which could mean i'm straightening the panel. How could the panel have bent if the camera has not recently been dropped? Could it take some time for this to show up if the camera had been dropped in the past (I am the third owner, just got it a couple months ago and have only used it a couple times).

The serial # starts with a 0.

Should I call Canon? How much do you think a repair would cost? How much do you think I would be able to sell it for (as is?) since I have upgraded to the 5D2 and don't even use the camera at all.

Brett
Goldmember
4,176 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Feb 03, 2010 21:56 |  #9

Has it been subjected to heat or moisture? Come in from cold outside to a warm house?

Just call them. Any guess anyone gives you hear is going to be just that: a guess.

I'd want an idea of what Canon might charge before thinking about selling the camera. They'll give you an estimate free, but you'd be on the hook for shipping.

flickr (external link)

spacetime
Goldmember
1,276 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Feb 03, 2010 22:36 |  #10

Digital Panda wrote in post #9535618 (external link)
This sounds like the most realistic sceneario. The problem seems to be controllable, if I squeeze the bottom of the camera (directly below the LCD screen), the problem is fixed until release pressure which could mean i'm straightening the panel. How could the panel have bent if the camera has not recently been dropped? Could it take some time for this to show up if the camera had been dropped in the past (I am the third owner, just got it a couple months ago and have only used it a couple times).

The serial # starts with a 0.

Should I call Canon? How much do you think a repair would cost? How much do you think I would be able to sell it for (as is?) since I have upgraded to the 5D2 and don't even use the camera at all.

I'd call canon and see what if anything they are willing to do or at least figure out how much it will cost you to repair. $1000 minus repair costs would be a fair price. I was looking on ebay and typical prices were $1100-1200. CL was $1200-1500 but some came with grips and a 4-6 batteries.

blackhawk
Goldmember
1,785 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Feb 03, 2010 22:49 |  #11

The LCD has failed most likely. Loose connectors don't do that.
It's easy to replace, prolly about $180-220 if Canon does it.

Ha-ha kiddies don't try this unless you're able to, and a little too curious...
Here's how you do it! http://www.blackhawkim​ages.org/Home/canon-5d-repair (external link)

You got to know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em
Know when to walk away and know when to run
You never count your money when you're sittin' at the table
There'll be time enough for countin' when the dealing's done

Digital ­ Panda
THREAD ­ STARTER
465 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Feb 03, 2010 23:21 |  #12

blackhawk wrote in post #9536948 (external link)
The LCD has failed most likely. Loose connectors don't do that.
It's easy to replace, prolly about $180-220 if Canon does it.

Ha-ha kiddies don't try this unless you're able to, and a little too curious...
Here's how you do it! http://www.blackhawkim​ages.org/Home/canon-5d-repair (external link)

Hmm...I am kind of temped to try a repair...

thanks for the informative link blackhawk!

twodeko
127 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Feb 03, 2010 23:40 as a reply to  @ Digital Panda's post |  #13

It looks like the number of colors being displayed is reduced in the second picture. I would think that it may be a cable issue rather than pressure. Pressure tends to change the color of LCDs, not posterize the image.

Ben | 5D | 17-40 | 24-105 | 50 | 70-200
smugmug (external link)

Digital ­ Panda
THREAD ­ STARTER
465 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Feb 03, 2010 23:54 |  #14

twodeko wrote in post #9537206 (external link)
It looks like the number of colors being displayed is reduced in the second picture. I would think that it may be a cable issue rather than pressure. Pressure tends to change the color of LCDs, not posterize the image.

Then how would putting a little pressure on the bottom of the camera fix the issue?

blackhawk
Goldmember
1,785 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Feb 04, 2010 00:21 |  #15

Digital Panda wrote in post #9537111 (external link)
Hmm...I am kind of temped to try a repair...

thanks for the informative link blackhawk!

You know it's the cam image that's bugged up, but not not the other display functions of that LCD like set up, custom functions. etc? oops, my bad!:rolleyes:

If so that prolly something else... I'd send it to Canon repair, estimates are free.
Trust me you don't want to pull this apart if you don't know what's wrong, and even they the first time or two are a bit tricky even if you've done stuff like this before. Very easy to cause a lot more damage...

You got to know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em
Know when to walk away and know when to run
You never count your money when you're sittin' at the table
There'll be time enough for countin' when the dealing's done

sponsored links

31,101 views & 0 likes for this thread
I think there is a problem with my 5D's LCD screen
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.