Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 04 Feb 2010 (Thursday) 00:55
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

DOF differences in my 24-70L and old sigma 24-70 non hsm at 24mm and 2.8. why?

booja
Goldmember
1,638 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Feb 04, 2010 00:55 |  #1

i use to have an old sigma 24-70 ex dg macro that i used on my 5d classic and on my 5d2. because of focus reliability issues i sold it and got the brick. i use to use the wide end alot and i usually shoot wide open unless i want to catch everything in focus. lately i have noticed that my brick L doesnt pop or separate the background and subject as well as my sigma did. i thought it was me and maybe i wasnt close enough on some pics but in some old photos i took with the sigma i noticed the DOF was thinner at 24mm and at 2.8

i know this isnt the best way to test by looking back at old photos but ive shot with the sigma for 1 year and the brick L for 1 year and noticed something was different right when i got the L. if i can get my friends sigma 24-70 ill do some real tests but for now ill show some pics of things ive snapped with both lenses on the wide end at 2.8 both on FF

here is a close quarter angle shot with the brick L at 24mm and 2.8

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

and heres a quarter angle shot of another car with the sigma at 24mm and 2.8 (you can notice that its already out of DOF limit when it reaches the side mirror and in the other one most of the car is in focus... and i was closer to the car in the first pic... which should make the DOF thinner)

IMAGE: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3571/3828556421_ef175d7dd5_b.jpg

this one next is of the canon L at 24mm at 2.8. i focused on the viper and notice the other cars down the line are still in focus

IMAGE NOT FOUND
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

this one is focused on the front end of the Z. and i couldnt even get the whole car in focus... i was standing even further back so the DOF should not have been as thin as the other one with the viper.

IMAGE: http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2545/3829365850_5e5cc2d177_b.jpg

here another example

the brick... this one is real noticeable... all the people in the background are still in focus... even the tree and the free way

IMAGE NOT FOUND

siggy...

IMAGE: http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2578/3828560609_109ab7b480_b.jpg

i know, i know... this isnt a "real" test. i am going to borrow my friends siggy just to find out for myself.

but in most you can tell that i was closer with the brick and yet the siggy had thinner DOF. i cant even get a whole car in focus with the siggy but the canon gets the car and then some... both on FF at 24mm at 2.8... unless this is corner sharpness and the bad corner sharpness of the siggy is making it look like bokeh and background blur when it is really not.... i dunno

ed ­ rader
"I am not the final word"
22,754 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined May 2005

Feb 04, 2010 01:04 |  #2

booja wrote in post #9537506 (external link)
i use to have an old sigma 24-70 ex dg macro that i used on my 5d classic and on my 5d2. because of focus reliability issues i sold it and got the brick. i use to use the wide end alot and i usually shoot wide open unless i want to catch everything in focus. lately i have noticed that my brick L doesnt pop or separate the background and subject as well as my sigma did. i thought it was me and maybe i wasnt close enough on some pics but in some old photos i took with the sigma i noticed the DOF was thinner at 24mm and at 2.8

i know this isnt the best way to test by looking back at old photos but ive shot with the sigma for 1 year and the brick L for 1 year and noticed something was different right when i got the L. if i can get my friends sigma 24-70 ill do some real tests but for now ill show some pics of things ive snapped with both lenses on the wide end at 2.8 both on FF

here is a close quarter angle shot with the brick L at 24mm and 2.8

and heres a quarter angle shot of another car with the sigma at 24mm and 2.8 (you can notice that its already out of DOF limit when it reaches the side mirror and in the other one most of the car is in focus... and i was closer to the car in the first pic... which should make the DOF thinner)

this one next is of the canon L at 24mm at 2.8. i focused on the viper and notice the other cars down the line are still in focus

this one is focused on the front end of the Z. and i couldnt even get the whole car in focus... i was standing even further back so the DOF should not have been as thin as the other one with the viper.

here another example

the brick

siggy...

i know, i know... this isnt a "real" test. i am going to borrow my friends siggy just to find out for myself.

but in most you can tell that i was closer with the brick and yet the siggy had thinner DOF. i cant even get a whole car in focus with the siggy but the canon gets the car and then some... both on FF at 24mm at 2.8

sounds like the canon is wider which would also explain the difference in DOF.

ed rader

http://instagram.com/e​draderphotography/ (external link)
5D4, 80d, 16-35L III, 24-70L II, 70-200L F4 IS, 100-400L II, sigma 15mm FE, 35mm ef-s macro, tc 1.4 III, 430exII, gitzo 3542L, gitzo GM4562, markins Q10, markins Q3, kirk, really right stuff, sirui

booja
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,638 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Feb 04, 2010 01:05 |  #3

ed rader wrote in post #9537540 (external link)
sounds like the canon is wider which would also explain the difference in DOF.

ed rader

i looked at both of these aspects as well when i had both in my hand... the canon was longer at the 70mm end and the siggy was wider at the 24 end

ed ­ rader
"I am not the final word"
22,754 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined May 2005

Feb 04, 2010 01:07 |  #4

booja wrote in post #9537544 (external link)
i looked at both of these aspects as well when i had both in my hand... the canon was longer at the 70mm end and the siggy was wider at the 24 end

the numbers aren't accurate. e.g. the 24-105L is wider than the 24-70L.

ed rader

http://instagram.com/e​draderphotography/ (external link)
5D4, 80d, 16-35L III, 24-70L II, 70-200L F4 IS, 100-400L II, sigma 15mm FE, 35mm ef-s macro, tc 1.4 III, 430exII, gitzo 3542L, gitzo GM4562, markins Q10, markins Q3, kirk, really right stuff, sirui

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

1,109 views & 0 likes for this thread
DOF differences in my 24-70L and old sigma 24-70 non hsm at 24mm and 2.8. why?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.