Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos HDR Creation 
Thread started 04 Feb 2010 (Thursday) 03:29
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

HDR PhotoStudio vs Photomatix

aero.nz
215 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Feb 04, 2010 03:29 |  #1

Hi Guys,

What does everyone recommend? Im more interested in natural looking HDR's so Photostudio looks the best option. They are both US$99 and im on a mac if it makes a difference.

Thanks
Trav

EOS RP| EF50mm F1.8 STM | Manfrotto 190Pro+804 head
flickr (external link)

sponsored links
wolfden
Goldmember
1,439 posts
Joined May 2008

Feb 04, 2010 05:24 |  #2

They both have trials, that would be your best way to find out which one you like. Both can do natural looking HDR, but since both have trials I would give em a work out and than decide.

~KJS~
Photos by KJS (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Blog (external link) | 500px (external link) | Google+ (external link)
Canon 60D Shooter

Picture ­ North ­ Carolina
Gaaaaa! DOH!! Oops!
9,305 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Feb 04, 2010 06:58 |  #3

Here's a link for you.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=h​dr+photostudio+review (external link)

In reading reviews, the general (and very brief) gist I get is this:

- For achieving the tonemapped look, use photomatix. If you are targeting the realistic look, HDR PS does a better job than any other app on the market.

- The strongest point of HDR PS is its patented (?) color technology. Apparently, it merges while retaining very accurate color unlike applications such as photomatix that often creates skewed color such as those bright, glowing, neon greens we've all seen photomatix create.

Website (external link) |

K31Scout
30 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Feb 04, 2010 07:39 |  #4

Photomatix Pro has an HDR button and a Fusion button which is a more realistic blend. Try the free trial.

The ice age 10,000 years ago proves that "Climate Change" is so easy even a caveman can do it.

dugcross
876 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Feb 04, 2010 10:47 as a reply to  @ K31Scout's post |  #5

I can't say much for HDR Photostudio because I haven't used it but I've been using Photomatix and I've been very happy with it. It gives you a great range of variance on how you want the output to look.

Doug Cross
Graphic Designer and Photographer
www.crossphotographics​.com (external link)

Gaaaaa! DOH!! Oops!
9,305 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Feb 04, 2010 12:15 as a reply to  @ dugcross's post |  #6

Apparently, it has a feature that to me is hands-down better than photomatix and addresses what, at least to me, is one of photomatix's greatest shortcomings: halos.

As can be seen near the end of this video (external link), apparently HDR PS has an actual halo reduction feature which can be used to remove halos.

kirkt
Cream of the Crop
6,126 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Feb 2008

Feb 04, 2010 13:35 |  #7

HDR PhotoStudio is, to me, a unique and different approach to image creation than that of Photomatix. It takes the vague idea of 32 bit processing that exists in PSCS3-4 and fundamentally changes the game with the color model and tools to work in full 32bit mode in a natural and intuitive way. This is really different than Photomatix and, as CannedHeat mentioned, with the Noise Reduction and Halo tools simply steps up to the next level of 32 bit data control. Not to knock Photomatix - people love it - I'm just saying that I do not think it will catch on with the "HeyI want to get into HDR" like Photomatix has. But for me, more control over the data in a more predictable and reliable way, with a wider array of 32bit tools, is the way to go.

Kirk

Here is a thread I coincidentally started just before this thread:

https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=821365

where I will be experimenting with HDR PhotoStudio for Mac and posting the results/review.

Kirk
---

dugcross
876 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Feb 04, 2010 13:46 |  #8

kirkt wrote in post #9540636 (external link)
HDR PhotoStudio is, to me, a unique and different approach to image creation than that of Photomatix. It takes the vague idea of 32 bit processing that exists in PSCS3-4 and fundamentally changes the game with the color model and tools to work in full 32bit mode in a natural and intuitive way. This is really different than Photomatix and, as CannedHeat mentioned, with the Noise Reduction and Halo tools simply steps up to the next level of 32 bit data control. Not to knock Photomatix - people love it - I'm just saying that I do not think it will catch on with the "HeyI want to get into HDR" like Photomatix has. But for me, more control over the data in a more predictable and reliable way, with a wider array of 32bit tools, is the way to go.

Kirk

where I will be experimenting with HDR PhotoStudio for Mac and posting the results/review.

While I already own Photomatix, after reading this I might have to download the trial version for my mac and give it a try. I'm always open to new ideas and software.

Doug Cross

kirkt
Cream of the Crop
6,126 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Feb 04, 2010 13:51 |  #9

Go for it - I think you will find it an interesting alternative. It is processor intensive, so beware.

Kirk

Kirk
---

dugcross
876 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Feb 04, 2010 13:56 |  #10

kirkt wrote in post #9540744 (external link)
Go for it - I think you will find it an interesting alternative. It is processor intensive, so beware.

Kirk

Even more so than Photomatix?

Doug Cross

Gaaaaa! DOH!! Oops!
9,305 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Feb 04, 2010 14:35 |  #11

kirkt wrote in post #9540636 (external link)

Please do (post). Will you be posting comparisons between photomatix and HDR PS of the same pic?

I am considering buying HDR PS without the trial. I have a number of pictures that photomatix has not been able to handle, and if HDR PS is all everybody says it is, it will be worth the investment.

P.s., a big thanks to the OP. Never heard of this app before today.

Gaaaaa! DOH!! Oops!
9,305 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Feb 05, 2010 08:11 |  #12

A warning to Windows users. Read this post before installing this bug-infested piece of crap (HDR PhotoStudio).

Link

kirkt
Cream of the Crop
6,126 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Feb 05, 2010 08:46 |  #13

CH - Sorry to hear that it f'ed your CS2. Did you report your problem to Unified Color? I noticed that, at least on the Mac installer, it gives you options to install plug ins for PSCSX and LR - if this is the case on Windows, maybe during the install one can elect not to have the plug in installed. Did you remove the plug in from your CS2 plug-ins?

The PS pug in gives one the ability to save 32bit files in the HDR PhotoStudio ".BEF" file format as far as I can tell.

CH, your experience must be disappointing and frustrating. Hopefully if you contact them they will make good. Yesterday I purchased the Mac version and the service they use to process the orders was apparently having trouble sending them transaction confirmations. I emailed support and they quickly responded and processed the licenses manually. As a token gesture they increased the number of machines permitted to use the license from 2 to 3 - not necessary but a nice thought. Not trying to make excuses for them, but maybe it will be worth contacting them as it appears they are quick to respond and remedy a situation.

Sorry for your troubles.

Kirk

Kirk
---

Gaaaaa! DOH!! Oops!
9,305 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Feb 05, 2010 08:50 |  #14

kirkt wrote in post #9546250 (external link)
CH - Sorry to hear that it f'ed your CS2. Did you report your problem to Unified Color? I noticed that, at least on the Mac installer, it gives you options to install plug ins for PSCSX and LR - if this is the case on Windows, maybe during the install one can elect not to have the plug in installed. Did you remove the plug in from your CS2 plug-ins?

THat sucks.

Kirk

Yes, I have emailed them. They're west coast, so they're still snoozin'. I will report here what type of folks they are and whether or not they will do what's right to help fix a system their app fried.

Yes, my first thoughts were also the plugin. I noticed on the install screen an option check box to install a beh plugin in PS. I assumed it was ok, so I accepted the default yes to install.

Perhaps it would have left PS alone had I unchecked the option.

Still, tho, the app itself is one of the buggiest apps I have ever installed.

Also, I have since uninstalled the HDR PhotoStudio app hoping that maybe the error was a file allocation error, but no go... PS is still fried.

kirkt
Cream of the Crop
6,126 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Feb 05, 2010 08:53 |  #15

Well, let's hope the help you out and make good. It's a shame, because my initial impressions are that it is an app worth exploring.

Kirk

Kirk
---

sponsored links

5,160 views & 0 likes for this thread
HDR PhotoStudio vs Photomatix
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos HDR Creation 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.