Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 04 Feb 2010 (Thursday) 11:33
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Need Help - Next Lens for me?

squiLL
667 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Feb 04, 2010 11:33 |  #1

Hey guys,

Recently updated to a 5D Mark II and was looking for some extra glass to buy within the next couple of months.

I already have the 50mm 1.4, EF 28-135 3.5-5.6, EF 75-300 4.0, and a old 28-80mm from my old 35mm rebel.

I am starting to get more and more into portraits, and recently got booked for a wedding in June. I love my 50mm 1.4 prime. I have been thinking I need a wide angle lens but wanted to see what some people recommend first.

is the 28mm 2.8 a solid lens? Or should I go with a zoom lens for what I am getting into?

Thanks
-Mike

Mike Cassara
Marketing Manager - Tiffen Filters

Tiffen.com (external link)

sponsored links
banpreso
Goldmember
2,176 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Feb 04, 2010 11:45 |  #2

maybe you can get rid of the 28-135 and go for a 24-70? it's nice to have a faster zoom for weddings. you can buy 3rd party if budget is an issue. what's your budget?

there are a lot of info out there on wedding gear, you can also ask in the wedding talk forum

Flickr (external link)

crn3371
Cream of the Crop
7,198 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Feb 04, 2010 11:46 |  #3

You definitely need to look in to upgrading your glass, especially if you're going to shoot a wedding. Right now you basically have a run of the mill assortment of consumer lenses on a near-pro body. Something like the Canon 24-70 f2.8 and 70-200 f2.8 IS come to mind. With the resolving power of the 5D II you are going to want good lenses.

squiLL
THREAD ­ STARTER
667 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Feb 04, 2010 12:06 as a reply to  @ crn3371's post |  #4

Thanks,

yea i agree thats why I am posting. The lenses I have take decent pictures, but I bought them a few years ago for my xTI.. so I definitely need a step up.

I have some time before this wedding, and don't really have the money right now for a > 1K lens. I have about 1200 left on my budget and am trying to save up for a new iMac for PP.

Mike Cassara
Marketing Manager - Tiffen Filters

Tiffen.com (external link)

Houston1863
729 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Feb 04, 2010 12:11 as a reply to  @ squiLL's post |  #5

I'd go along with the suggestion that the 24-70 and 70-200/2.8 IS are the lenses to use. Your 50/1.4 will come in handy as well. If you are happy shooting closer to your subjects then you could leave the 70-200 for later as funds become available or vice versa.

Best Wishes

IMAGE: http://www.cosgan.de/images/smilie/froehlich/a010.gif

Houston
IMAGE: http://www.cosgan.de/images/smilie/nahrung/a035.gif

2x5D3, 16-35L, 24-70L, 70-200/2.8L IS,15 FE, 50L,100L, 2x580EXII, 1x430Exll, Fuji X10, YN-622Cs, Manfrotto Neotec legs, various bits and pieces, my Apples ( 2 living MacBook Pro, 1 dormant PowerBook G4 ), bags and bits of Think Tank stuff
www.picture-u.net (external link)
www.picturing-u.blogspot.com (external link)

gasrocks
Cream of the Crop
13,431 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Feb 04, 2010 12:11 |  #6

I think the 5D II deserves better glass. But, this is going to cost. Sell all lenses you have now except the 50/1.4. Look at getting the 24-105 IS for an all 'round lens.

GEAR LIST

sponsored links

965 views & 0 likes for this thread
Need Help - Next Lens for me?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.