Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Sports 
Thread started 05 Feb 2010 (Friday) 03:16
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

College b-ball, strobed, it's the thing to do...

MJPhotos24
Cream of the Crop
5,619 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Feb 05, 2010 03:16 |  #1

Only 14 more days till outta the winter and baseball takes over my life. Believe it's the last b-ball game I'm shooting, though haven't shot many this year. Started with the III, changed to the IIn to compare results. 70-200 throughout and realized I need another PW to use 2 bodies at once.

#1 - It was at this point I realize one of the 4 strobes was not plugged in.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

#2 - Getting by a defender.
IMAGE NOT FOUND

#3 - Driving to the lane on a breakaway of sorts.
IMAGE NOT FOUND

#4 - Pulled up for the jumper...
IMAGE NOT FOUND

#5 - Flagrant foul...and when I started getting annoyed by all four strobes going off. This was a breakaway and he can put on a show when dunking so soon as he went up was hammered by the guy behind him.
IMAGE NOT FOUND

#6 - Anyone seen the head coach? This is the assistant, the head coach gave him the duties because it was his birthday and he was a little sick so wanted to step back. Got his first win as head coach.
IMAGE NOT FOUND

#7 - Getting some air going through defenders on his way to the basket. Late in the game he just takes over, it's fun to watch.
IMAGE NOT FOUND

#8 - Believe by now I turned the other strobes onto a different channel so this is only one side. Way I'll be going the rest of the time (if any games).
IMAGE NOT FOUND

Freelance Photographer & Co-founder of Four Seam Images
Mike Janes Photography (external link) - Four Seam Images LLC (external link)
FSI is a baseball oriented photo agency and official licensee of MiLB/MLB.
@FourSeamImages (instagram/twitter)
@MikeJanesPhotography (instagram)
@MikeJanesPhotog (twitter)

sponsored links
CharlesGreig
27 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Feb 05, 2010 04:57 |  #2

Look cool, I am a noob and trying to take photos of bball, any chance you could give me more info on your 'strobe' set up, like what exactly you need to get to make it all work and what kidna locations in relation to the court you put them.

also, what ISO and shutter speed were the photos taken at?

Thanks for any tips and again, nice pics

chaz

Canon 500D || Tamron 70-300mm || 18-55mm Kit || Sigma 24-70 2.8 || Sigma 70-200 2.8 || Nissin 866 Mk2 || Desire to take some good pics

canonnoob
Cream of the Crop
8,487 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Feb 05, 2010 09:44 |  #3

Good Stuff Mike! That Flagrant looks like it was totally deserved.

David W.

Zivnuska
Goldmember
3,674 posts
Gallery: 72 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Feb 05, 2010 12:19 as a reply to  @ canonnoob's post |  #4

Solid shots all. Nice stuff.

I just wish you would post them at 1024 x 1024. These images would shine where lesser ones would falter.

www.zivnuska.zenfolio.​com/blog (external link) = My Blog
Gear List
www.zivnuska.zenfolio.​com (external link)

"It's not tight until you see the color of the irides."

MJPhotos24
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
5,619 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Feb 05, 2010 13:33 |  #5

CharlesGreig wrote in post #9545526 (external link)
Look cool, I am a noob and trying to take photos of bball, any chance you could give me more info on your 'strobe' set up, like what exactly you need to get to make it all work and what kidna locations in relation to the court you put them.

also, what ISO and shutter speed were the photos taken at?

Thanks for any tips and again, nice pics

chaz

The EXIF should be embedded in the photos but I tried several different settings from 200 ISO to 800 at one point (for about 4 photos).

The kit I take to these games include...

4 - Alien Bee 1600 Strobe Units
4 - 13' air cushioned stands
5 - Pocket Wizards
2 - Vagabond II portable power batteries
4 - 50' extension cords
8 - Tie downs (2 per stand)
2 - bodies (III & IIn)
3 - lenses (300 2.8 IS, 70-200 2.8 IS, 24-105 4 IS)

The strobes are on the stands (legs not extended) tied to the railings in the corners of the gym on the walkway balcony basically on the baseline and aimed at the arch, bounced off the ceiling. The stands are extended maybe 1/3rd up but that's just to get them away from anyone walking by as they're already high enough on the balcony alone.

At first was using all four at once so I could move around but found that kind of annoying at times so set one half to a channel and the other have to a different one so could switch. Helps shooting into them a bit more when lower of course, but also makes it so only one team is seeing them which is kind of strange. For this gym you have to go pretty much full power to get over ambient as it's all new lights.

canonnoob wrote in post #9546575 (external link)
Good Stuff Mike! That Flagrant looks like it was totally deserved.

Thanks...If the kid was a d*** and played like one then maybe almost justifiable, but as someone who coached basketball for awhile flagrant fouls are pretty much never necessary. This kid, the entire team really, have great attitudes and play with class. It was NOT deserving in any sense - especially when you see this kid on the ground hurt because of it.

Zivnuska wrote in post #9547695 (external link)
Solid shots all. Nice stuff.

I just wish you would post them at 1024 x 1024. These images would shine where lesser ones would falter.

Thanks - for the purposes on here always post at 600 just in case they're found. Though could just make the watermark bigger as well :)

DavidAzilPhoto
246 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Feb 06, 2010 05:06 |  #6

nice pics, you should change that watermark though, its ugly and distracting.

BenJohnson
Goldmember
1,811 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Feb 06, 2010 08:04 |  #7

Great photos. Lighting looks amazing.

|Ben Johnson Photography (external link)|
|Gear List|

Dan-o
Goldmember
3,539 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Feb 06, 2010 09:25 |  #8

Mike do you have any problems with the flash duration on the 1600s. I have heard this is the case. I have a 1600 and a 800 but have only used my strobes for portrait stuff.

Didn't you just finish baseball like two weeks ago? Like the images. Very good balance as they look like they were shot in a gym with incredible lights, not strobed.

Danny.
DMunsonPhoto (external link)
Cycling Illustrated (external link)
FaceBook Page (external link)

Terry ­ Healy
63 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Feb 06, 2010 09:53 as a reply to  @ Dan-o's post |  #9

Danny - I have one AB800 and one AB1600 as you mention. There is a difference in flash duration, but it will work better if both are at full power - which gives the 1600 a shorter duration. A helpful person here - can't find it now - gave me a key tip: For about $6. you put a 1 stop ND filter gel over the 1600. This allows you to get a balance of output with the 800, with a shorter duration. (Send private mail if you are interested and I'll dig out the place where I got the gel)

Or we could do a swap and both wind up with a matched pair....

Gear List

Terry ­ Healy
63 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Feb 06, 2010 09:59 |  #10

Mike- I think all are quite fine. Regarding lighting, 3&8 look perfect. What bothers you about when all four are firing? Hot backgrounds? I also was wondering why you would choose the MKIIn over the MkIII.
Like Phil I would really like to see them larger. (The kids will take them for FaceBook with the Watermarks anyhow).

Gear List

MJPhotos24
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
5,619 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Feb 06, 2010 15:40 |  #11

kvnkane wrote in post #9552634 (external link)
nice pics, you should change that watermark though, its ugly and distracting.

Then it's working exactly as planned - I get a little sick of seeing images stolen everywhere on sites so always try to make it that way.

BenJohnson wrote in post #9553043 (external link)
Great photos. Lighting looks amazing.

Thanks - I've actually yet to see them on a normal computer (just laptop) so no clue how they look on a good monitor.

Dan-o wrote in post #9553353 (external link)
Mike do you have any problems with the flash duration on the 1600s. I have heard this is the case. I have a 1600 and a 800 but have only used my strobes for portrait stuff.

Didn't you just finish baseball like two weeks ago? Like the images. Very good balance as they look like they were shot in a gym with incredible lights, not strobed.

Danny - the only problems I've had with them have been self inflicted screw ups when I'm rushing to get them set up, so far so good and haven't noticed any problems with all 4 1600's when I finally get them right - though am still relatively new to using strobes.

Baseball - yea, I just did two tournaments (around 500 players) but it will soon take over again in that I'll be doing at least 30 games (NCAA, MLB ST and photo days, High School prospects) in 14 days in FL, maybe more. After the first 14 days it slows down a little to only one or two games a day until April and then the regular season starts.

This gym has brand new white walls and white ceilings so the bounce does well lighting the whole thing. Only problem is getting low I catch the strobes up in the corners on the opp. side so going to only use one side from now on I think. Well....next year at least, this year is over for b-ball I do believe. Only shot like 5 games. Sucks having to blast them at 1600 but need to get over to minimize ghosting.

Terry Healy wrote in post #9553494 (external link)
Mike- I think all are quite fine. Regarding lighting, 3&8 look perfect. What bothers you about when all four are firing? Hot backgrounds? I also was wondering why you would choose the MKIIn over the MkIII.
Like Phil I would really like to see them larger. (The kids will take them for FaceBook with the Watermarks anyhow).

They use them on FB either way - actually let them with the watermark and why it's there distracting, if they want one without they can buy them because giving away images to college athletes is a violation (considered a gift).

3 is with all four going off, 8 is with only two.

IIn vs III - well it was a test. I just got my III back from CPS to fix the ever infamous tracking/focus issues and I wanted to compare results. The III performed much better than it has before they replaced everything. Both performed pretty good and kept like 70% of the shots.

What bothered me about all four firing is I'd get low to get a shot and at times catch them in the background. If they were in the rafters (impossible) then it wouldn't be a problem but since they're just on the balcony you do get them. Also as you mentioned would get some hot spots in the bleachers or somewhere off back strobes.

Hot spot in the corner...

IMAGE NOT FOUND

The worst of them all - can crop out and fix, but still.

IMAGE NOT FOUND

Larger photo and larger watermark...

IMAGE NOT FOUND

wyofizz
Goldmember
1,340 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Feb 06, 2010 23:58 as a reply to  @ MJPhotos24's post |  #12

Very nice Mike.
Lighting looks great:)

Dave - Fuzzy Hashing makes me itch.

ChrisK10
431 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Feb 07, 2010 02:28 |  #13

Great shots. I love how strobed sports look and wish I had the equipment to take shots like these. Oh well maybe some day I'll work into it.

Again great shots.

7D gripped / Rebel XS / 70-200 f/2.8 L IS / 50mm f/1.4 / and some other stuff
Flickr (external link)

pantherphotos
Goldmember
1,314 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Feb 07, 2010 06:54 |  #14

MJPhotos24 wrote in post #9548276 (external link)
Thanks...If the kid was a d*** and played like one then maybe almost justifiable, but as someone who coached basketball for awhile flagrant fouls are pretty much never necessary. This kid, the entire team really, have great attitudes and play with class. It was NOT deserving in any sense - especially when you see this kid on the ground hurt because of it.

I think canonnoob was saying that the flagrant foul call was deserved, not that the other kid should have committed the flagrant foul. You're absolutely right; no flagrant foul is necessary. I hope the kid wasn't hurt too bad!

Eric
Canon EOS 1D MkIIn | Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 | 70 - 200 f/2.8L | 50 f/1.8 II | 2x YN560 flash
My Blog: http://pantherphotogra​phy.wordpress.com/ (external link)FACEBOOK (external link)

MJPhotos24
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
5,619 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Feb 07, 2010 15:00 |  #15

wyofizz wrote in post #9557813 (external link)
Very nice Mike.
Lighting looks great:)

Thanks - still need to see them on a real monitor :)

ChrisK10 wrote in post #9558278 (external link)
Great shots. I love how strobed sports look and wish I had the equipment to take shots like these. Oh well maybe some day I'll work into it.

Again great shots.

Build up into it - just got the two extra strobes and battery packs and everything so still completing the full kit.

pantherphotos wrote in post #9558837 (external link)
I think canonnoob was saying that the flagrant foul call was deserved, not that the other kid should have committed the flagrant foul. You're absolutely right; no flagrant foul is necessary. I hope the kid wasn't hurt too bad!

Ya know, didn't even think of it that way - stupid brain has been on vacation for awhile, not sure when it's coming back.

He was down for a bit but shot the FT's and stayed in the game.

sponsored links

2,846 views & 0 likes for this thread
College b-ball, strobed, it's the thing to do...
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Sports 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.