Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 05 Feb 2010 (Friday) 03:23
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Polariser for Lee system

weeatmice
763 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Feb 05, 2010 03:23 |  #1

I'm looking to add a polariser to a lee system for use on UWA setup (5D Mark2 + 17-40mm @ 17mm).

It seems that the 105mm Lee adaptor + big polariser is a popular option among landscape photographers, however this isnt without vingetting even with only one filter slot (I like to use 2x grads, or often a grad and ND).

Does anyone have experience with a screw in type behind the holder? I realise I will have to set the polarisation, then mount the holder. I have a crappy UV filter that came with my lens for testing this, which seems thin enough at about 2mm, but a CPL will be twice that maybe.

FS: UK: 1D Mark IV.
Twopixel.co.uk (external link) | 500px (external link) | flickr (external link) | Twitter (external link) | Pinterest (external link) |

sponsored links
KevB
Goldmember
1,011 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Feb 05, 2010 06:14 |  #2

Been looking polarizers up earlier, and came across this post that might be of help to you.
https://photography-on-the.net …645809&highligh​t=kasemann

My Gear., 5D MkII, G11, Canon 70-200mm f2.8L IS, Canon 17-40mm F4 L, Canon 24-105mm F4 L, SigmaLux 50mm F1.4 :D, Canon 1.4x MkII tc, Canon 2x MkII tc,Canon 580ex MkII.
http://www.kevinbrycep​hotography.co.uk/ (external link)

5Dmaniac
Goldmember
1,303 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Feb 05, 2010 06:41 |  #3

A polarizer at 17mm - seriously? The results will look pretty bad. The sky will be uneven and look worse than not using a poarizer at all.

jcothron
Goldmember
2,856 posts
Gallery: 315 photos
Joined Nov 2008

Feb 05, 2010 08:51 |  #4

5Dmaniac wrote in post #9545783 (external link)
A polarizer at 17mm - seriously? The results will look pretty bad. The sky will be uneven and look worse than not using a poarizer at all.

He may not be shooting sky however. I polarize at 17mm a lot.

John
Gear List|My Flickr (external link)|Website (external link)|
Instagram (external link)

jcothron
Goldmember
2,856 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Feb 05, 2010 08:54 |  #5

weeatmice wrote in post #9545311 (external link)
I'm looking to add a polariser to a lee system for use on UWA setup (5D Mark2 + 17-40mm @ 17mm).

It seems that the 105mm Lee adaptor + big polariser is a popular option among landscape photographers, however this isnt without vingetting even with only one filter slot (I like to use 2x grads, or often a grad and ND).

Does anyone have experience with a screw in type behind the holder? I realise I will have to set the polarisation, then mount the holder. I have a crappy UV filter that came with my lens for testing this, which seems thin enough at about 2mm, but a CPL will be twice that maybe.

I have the same issue. Although.. with two slots plus a B&W 105mm CPL I can get by with approx. 19mm with no vignetting. I've wondered if a slim mount version would do the same.. no way to know without trying. I haven't tried to go down to 1 slot yet.. but it seems that would get it close. What results did you see? Care to post an image?

If one slot would work.. I'd probably go that route and handhold the second if needed. I need to check to see how slim you can get a 105mm CPL..haven't looked.

John

weeatmice
THREAD ­ STARTER
763 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Feb 05, 2010 09:28 |  #6

I havent got the 105mm adaptor ring and the polariser yet, I'm still mulling it over.

Two slots and no vignetting at 19mm sounds not so bad.

I have found this thread (external link) suggesting you can get away with 1 slot at 17mm with the a heliopan filter. It seems like the Lee 105mm polariser is particularly thick, and those with it get vingetting at 17mm with a single slot holder.

Twopixel.co.uk (external link) | 500px (external link) | flickr (external link) | Twitter (external link) | Pinterest (external link) |

jcothron
Goldmember
2,856 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Feb 05, 2010 09:36 |  #7

weeatmice wrote in post #9546488 (external link)
I havent got the 105mm adaptor ring and the polariser yet, I'm still mulling it over.

Two slots and no vignetting at 19mm sounds not so bad.

I have found this thread (external link) suggesting you can get away with 1 slot at 17mm with the a heliopan filter. It seems like the Lee 105mm polariser is particularly thick, and those with it get vingetting at 17mm with a single slot holder.

That may be the difference then. I have a B&W CPL, which I believe is thinner than the Lee.. I believe it would probably work with one slot..but I haven't tried it. It's not SEVERE even with 2 slots, but it's there.

John

peffi
Hatchling
2 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Feb 06, 2010 04:37 |  #8

LEE Filters system, polarizer and vignetting on EF 17-40.

Also check out www.leeduguid.com.au/b​log/tips/filters-filter-holders-and (external link)... about this issue.

I have the LEE Filters system with EF 17-40 on a full frame EOS 5D II with the Wide Angle adaptor ring. With 3 2mm slots for the LEE resin filters, the Lee holder starts barely vignetting when the holder is turned about 40 degrees. Removing the Front cover plate will remove the vignetting with this setup of 3 slots. The Front cover plate only causing vignetting. Cutting away some into the middle of the Filter holder guides will also help a little with vignetting. Sanding down the guides may also help, moving the filters closer to the lens and the filters closer together. Imo LEE should have made the holder-system with better focus on vignetting so that one could use the full width of the 100mm filters. The distance across the holder between the Filter holder guides is only 92 mm. The guides should have been placed closer to the corner of the holder, with no part of the guides closer to the centre of the lens than 50 mm (2x50 is 100). The big problem with vignetting starts when you want to use a polarizer with the filter holder.

I am about to redesign the adaptor ring. The ring will be fastened to the lens where the lens hood is screwed on. An 86mm Heliopan slim polarizer will be screwed into the front of the adaptor. The filter glass will be about 0.7 mm from the front of the lens. The front of the filter will be protruding about 5.4 mm from the front of the lens. The reason I chose Heliopan 86mm is because it supposedly is the slimmest 86mm polarizer made. I hope I am right. This setup with some slimming and cutting of the guides should make it possible to use 2 LEE resin filters in addition to the polarizer without vignetting. I also have some Hitech filters made by Formatt UK that supposedly is a tad thinner than the LEE filters in case two LEE filters still causes vignetting.

I’ll keep you updated of the progress. Let me know if you would be interested in such an adaptor if it works the way I want it to. This would be an adaptor made specifically for the EF 17-40. Could anyone maybe help me with finding the exact, 0.01 mm margin, dimensions of the front of the EF 17-40, or any other lens for that matter? This to get as snug a fit as possible.

Treat ­ me ­ like ­ a ­ tourist
Goldmember
1,614 posts
Gallery: 54 photos
Joined Oct 2005

Feb 06, 2010 19:49 |  #9

Is handholding the slide not an option for you? Other option would be a CPL slide

Facebook (external link)
Gear List
Flickr (external link)

weeatmice
THREAD ­ STARTER
763 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Feb 08, 2010 03:17 |  #10

The square CPL cant be rotated independently of grads (other than 90 degree rotations, assuming it is 100mm square).

The Cokin Z164 Circular Polarizer looks like an interesting option, depending on how well it fits the Lee holder.

sponsored links

2,923 views & 0 likes for this thread
Polariser for Lee system
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.