Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 05 Feb 2010 (Friday) 09:18
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Weddings, JPEGs for clients - SIZES?

Pearlallica
Goldmember
1,302 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Feb 05, 2010 09:18 |  #1

I've recently been cleaning up my business and "cementing" the terms and conditions for my business since I've been pretty wishy washy and bending this way and that way for each new wedding I cover. I've decided that I'm going to give away all of the digitals for the documentary portion of my couple's wedding day all except for the formal portrait session. As it stands, I'm thinking that these digital files should be restricted to 4x6 JPEGs at 240 dpi maximum quality. I considered giving away the full 21 megapixel file size, but I thought by restricting the size there may be a few opportunities here for enlargement purchases. At the same time, a down-sized 4x6 will hide potential image softness or blur or other flaws that may exist in a batch of 500 or 600 images. If a client orders an enlargement at least that gives you the opportunity to correct and enhance these potential misfit images. Are any of you that are giving away digitals restricting your files to a particular size/dimension? Are you down-sizing them or leaving them as is?

A second question that comes to mind is, do any of you give up the digital file of a particular print a client orders? (for me, that would be portraits) I've heard that some of you do do this. I'm just curious if this is a practice reflective of the minority or potentially majority of you in the wedding biz...

Thanks for any insights any of you care to divulge... :cool:

jonathan @ tlcphoto.com (external link) - pro wedding and portrait photog
5d2 5d3 50L 16-35 70-200 ElinchromRX600 580EX 600EX VIV285

sponsored links
Pearlallica
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,302 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Feb 05, 2010 20:43 |  #2

BUMP

ok, ok, I know, this topic gets rehashed like mad. It's being overlooked intentionally because we're all sick of it. I know. I've used the search tool and I don't have all day to pin down this specific detail. (but I'm sure one of you will bring it light just to make me look NEWBISH) hehe

The question I'm asking is more specific to the fact that I'm torn between giving up 21megapixel files verses downsized 4x6's. I don't know how consumers feel about this issue and I'm guessing that there are some of you here that have better insight into consumer thinking. I just don't want to lose business because I'm being too stingy on the digitals while the other guys are giving them away like candy.

tim
Light Bringer
50,968 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Feb 06, 2010 04:27 |  #3

Why not just charge a reasonable fee and give them all the images? Sounds like a pita to give them some. Also 240ppi is silly, go for 300ppi. Though from 1800 pixels you can make a decent enough 8x12.

I sell customers images up to 3600px on the longest size, that's perfect for up to 8x12" images. I do this for consistency between cameras as I use various models. If it's bigger it gets cut down, if it's smaller it's smaller. I don't mention image sizes in my contract, just that it's a jpeg image.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

Pearlallica
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,302 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Feb 06, 2010 10:53 |  #4

some food for thought. Thanks, that's basically all I needed was to get a little perspective from fellow wedding photog. I know 300 dpi is optimal but I'd hope that if they decided to blow one up they'd see for themselves the advantage of purchasing a true enlargement. I'm also considering a digital file upgrade option... 200 bucks gives you full sized 21 or 18 megapixel images respectively which would cover the value of ONE of my 24x36 prints which would be adequate given how rare I get purchases for ceremony/reception enlargements anyways...

Thanks again, Tim :)

jonwhite
Goldmember
1,279 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Feb 06, 2010 11:17 |  #5

Many clients dont understand image sizes resolutions etc, so if you give them sizes that are only suitable for printing small prints expect lots of follow up issues from customers.

Much easier to charge a decent price and include the full res images with the package and not have clients think they have been cheated.

Wedding Portfolio Website (external link) | Wedding Photographer Blog (external link)

Pearlallica
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,302 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Feb 06, 2010 11:44 |  #6

excellent point. I would expect a little better understanding from a consumer, but we don't live in a perfect world, so I should probably default my digitals to full resolutions like you said. done!

tim
Light Bringer
50,968 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Feb 06, 2010 16:04 |  #7

Oh btw I include low res (600px) watermarked images in every package, I tell people they're the right size for email or facebook but not for printing.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

sponsored links

1,324 views & 0 likes for this thread
Weddings, JPEGs for clients - SIZES?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.