Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Nikon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Nikon Cameras 
Thread started 05 Feb 2010 (Friday) 20:14
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Got a Nikon? Share your thoughts and photos here or ask a question!

this thread is locked
wishlf
405 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jun 29, 2010 18:11 |  #2881

Yea, I had it set to release+focus. and it's on 21 pts. dynamic AF. This set is what I consider in focus.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

IMAGE NOT FOUND
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

K-5 [31 LTD F/1.8] [100 MACRO WR F/2.8]

sponsored links
nicksan
Man I Like to Fart
24,729 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Jun 29, 2010 18:13 |  #2882

It's difficult to understand what you are trying to say wishlf with all those photos and no commentary. The threshold for acceptability varies person by person with regards to AF performance and sharpness.

I will mention this however. When you are shooting at those shutter speeds (1/6400 for instance) and you are tracking a subject, you would be better off turning VR off because it can actually work against your motion. I am not saying this is the issue, but that's another thing to check out.

nicksan
Man I Like to Fart
24,729 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Jun 29, 2010 18:14 |  #2883

wishlf wrote in post #10449806 (external link)
Yea, I had it set to release+focus. and it's on 21 pts. dynamic AF. This set is what I consider in focus.

Could have been the fact that you were at f4. Looks like these photos are spot on. You were also shooting at a much slower shutter speed...Just something to think about with VR.

Permagrin
High Priestess of all I survey
77,914 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jun 29, 2010 18:15 as a reply to  @ wishlf's post |  #2884

I know that some people use the release+focus but I don't. I don't want a photo unless it's in focus so I have mine set to focus only. It did make a huge difference because (I know nikon's pdf encourages both the release mode and the release + focus) that mode of the camera is designed to "release" the camera to shoot even when it's not in focus. I've never been sure why the release modes are incorporated.

Maybe try shooting with the focus only mode and then see how it goes? At least you would eliminate any possible variations.

.. It's Permie's world, we just live in it! ~CDS

nicksan
Man I Like to Fart
24,729 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Jun 29, 2010 18:18 |  #2885

I use focus only as well. Haven't run into any issues yet.

wishlf
405 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jun 29, 2010 18:23 |  #2886

nicksan wrote in post #10449817 (external link)
It's difficult to understand what you are trying to say wishlf with all those photos and no commentary. The threshold for acceptability varies person by person with regards to AF performance and sharpness.

I will mention this however. When you are shooting at those shutter speeds (1/6400 for instance) and you are tracking a subject, you would be better off turning VR off because it can actually work against your motion. I am not saying this is the issue, but that's another thing to check out.

Thanks for the tip, I'll turn VR off when shooting at fast shutter speed.

To me, some of those pictures seems like autofocus failed to work. Look at those license plates you will see what I am talking about. I am new to this autofocus thing, had not really tried it out before. I am not sure whether it's my error, or the problem with the camera/lens.

Edited: The car set, first 5 photos, you see the license plate is blurry. Considering the shutter speed is 1/6000th sec, it seems like it's OOF. The last 2 are in focus.

monk3y
Totally Saturated
46,198 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Aug 2009

Jun 29, 2010 18:23 |  #2887

nicksan wrote in post #10449840 (external link)
I use focus only as well. Haven't run into any issues yet.

I use focus only also in one of my banks now also... coz I notice in focus+release mode sometimes in lowlight it confirms focus but when I press the shutter I get totally blurred photos, as in nothing is in focus

www.monk3y.com (external link) | My GEAR

wishlf
405 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jun 29, 2010 18:30 |  #2888

I'll try focus only tomorrow.

DarthVader
Cream of the Crop
6,508 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Jun 29, 2010 18:32 |  #2889

What is your a4 setup ?. I set it to 4...another thing..try to use smaller group of AF points like 9.

Nikon/Fuji.
Gear is important but skills are very important :)

wishlf
405 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jun 29, 2010 18:37 |  #2890

maverick678 wrote in post #10449911 (external link)
What is your a4 setup ?. I set it to 4...another thing..try to use smaller group of AF points like 9.

There's only long, normal, short. I setted to Normal.

Permagrin
High Priestess of all I survey
77,914 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jun 29, 2010 18:38 |  #2891

wishlf wrote in post #10449942 (external link)

that's what I have mine on as well.

and I use 9, 11 or 21 points depending on which saved set I'm using (a-d).

.. It's Permie's world, we just live in it! ~CDS

tim
Light Bringer
50,977 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Jun 29, 2010 18:39 |  #2892

I wonder if AF is easily able track cars moving at 100kmph. If it's a couple of milliseconds late it'll be oof, given the speed of the vehicles. I know with Canon you have to give it a couple of seconds for AF tracking to start working too.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

wishlf
405 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jun 29, 2010 18:40 |  #2893

Permagrin wrote in post #10449948 (external link)
that's what I have mine on as well.

and I use 9, 11 or 21 points depending on which saved set I'm using (a-d).

Let's say you taking photo of people riding bicycle, do you use 9 or 21?

DarthVader
Cream of the Crop
6,508 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Jun 29, 2010 18:40 |  #2894

Mine is different...1,2,3,4, and 5. 1 is Short, 2 is Normal, and 3 is Long.

wishlf wrote in post #10449942 (external link)

Nikon/Fuji.
Gear is important but skills are very important :)

wishlf
405 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jun 29, 2010 18:42 |  #2895

tim wrote in post #10449957 (external link)
I wonder if AF is easily able track cars moving at 100kmph. If it's a couple of milliseconds late it'll be oof, given the speed of the vehicles. I know with Canon you have to give it a couple of seconds for AF tracking to start working too.

Those cars in the photos were probably moving at about 60mph directly toward me. Maybe that's the reason why first 4 were OOF. I assume Nikon needs couple of seconds to fully activate AF

sponsored links

637,486 views & 0 likes for this thread
Got a Nikon? Share your thoughts and photos here or ask a question!
FORUMS Nikon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Nikon Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.