Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 06 Feb 2010 (Saturday) 15:04
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Setting White Balance for indoor sports

TnVolKen
39 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Feb 06, 2010 15:04 |  #1

Does anyone have a great website or insturctions for using White Balance for indoor sports? Does anyone use a "white card" for indoor shooting? I have a Canon T1i. Thanks for any help

Canon T1i

sponsored links
picturecrazy
soft-hearted weenie-boy
8,561 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Feb 06, 2010 15:07 |  #2

Indoor sports are brutal. The high shutter speeds you need for sports usually cuts off a lot of light's full spectrum, causing a lot of WB variance from one shot to another. Depending on what kind of lights the gym has. I would prefer to use flash if possible, but that's just me.

-Lloyd
The BOUDOIR - Edmonton Intimate Boudoir Photography (external link)
Night and Day Photography - Edmonton Studio Family Baby Child Maternity Wedding Photographers (external link)
Night and Day Photography - Edmonton Headshot Photographers (external link)
Facebook (external link) | Twitter (external link) |Instagram (external link) | Gear

EdZep
239 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Feb 06, 2010 15:30 as a reply to  @ picturecrazy's post |  #3

It's true, you usually do still get color shifts. But, if shooting jpeg, it's better than AWB.

Just make sure you have a piece of white office paper with you (or something fancier, or gray card). Set your lens to manual focus so it won't hunt. Set an exposure 2/3 or 1 full stop over. Fill most of the frame, and shoot.

Then make sure to select that shot for the custom WB setting.

If you get decent results, you can lock the image file, then if you just erase images from the card (as opposed to format) the image will be there for future use.

And, if you shoot several locations with WB shots like this, use a Sharpie to mark the venue in the corner, before shooting the WB frame.

TnVolKen
THREAD ­ STARTER
39 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Feb 06, 2010 15:33 |  #4

EdZep wrote in post #9555108 (external link)
It's true, you usually do still get color shifts. But, if shooting jpeg, it's better than AWB.

Just make sure you have a piece of white office paper with you (or something fancier, or gray card). Set your lens to manual focus so it won't hunt. Set an exposure 2/3 or 1 full stop over. Fill most of the frame, and shoot.

Then make sure to select that shot for the custom WB setting.

If you get decent results, you can lock the image file, then if you just erase images from the card (as opposed to format) the image will be there for future use.

And, if you shoot several locations with WB shots like this, use a Sharpie to mark the venue in the corner, before shooting the WB frame.

I am sorry for my ignorance, but how do you set custom WB settings in the camera?

Canon T1i

EdZep
239 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Feb 06, 2010 15:40 |  #5

Well, I don't have your camera. If it's do-able, it will be mentioned in the manual. On a 40d or 7d, etc, you press a WB button, then spin the dial to the Custom WB setting. Then, go into the menu where there's a place to select the image file you've shot, for custom WB.

TnVolKen wrote in post #9555123 (external link)
I am sorry for my ignorance, but how do you set custom WB settings in the camera?

dzaneh
846 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Aug 2009

Feb 06, 2010 17:50 as a reply to  @ EdZep's post |  #6

get one of these :
http://www.lallyphotog​raphy.com/store/ (external link)

stuff

AdamLewis
Goldmember
4,120 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Feb 06, 2010 19:27 |  #7

Depends on what kind of lights were talking about and how many of them are present. For the most part, all lights will cycle and cause color shifts. In a HS/MS gym with a relatively small number of these lights, there isnt much you can do about 'setting' your WB. I always just shot with AWB and adjusted shots later if they looked like they needed adjusting. In larger arenas, you may have enough lights that are all out of phase with one another that they will collectively cancel each other out when it comes to color shifts. In such a case, you could easily used a custom WB by simply using a grey card or white card depending on what camera you have and what method youre using. Ive always preferred simply taking a shot of a white card and then setting a batch WB correction to all the pictures in post. Its up to you.

flickr (external link)

AdamLewis
Goldmember
4,120 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Feb 06, 2010 19:28 |  #8

Or just get a coffee filter and a rubber band...

flickr (external link)

kris142
997 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Feb 06, 2010 20:19 |  #9

Use Kelvin WB if your camera has it. It's much easier IMO.

|Sony A7 / Sony 35mm 2.8|

JeffreyG
"my bits and pieces are all hard"
15,356 posts
Gallery: 39 photos
Joined Jan 2007

Feb 06, 2010 20:56 |  #10

TnVolKen wrote in post #9554993 (external link)
Does anyone have a great website or insturctions for using White Balance for indoor sports? Does anyone use a "white card" for indoor shooting? I have a Canon T1i. Thanks for any help

If you must shoot jpegs then I'd shoot a white card. Try it 3-4 times and average the setting and realize that even when you get the color temperature correct their is likely also going to be a hue that you will have to fix in post because many gym lights have narrow spectra.

In RAW I often just shoot AWB and fix later. The common vapor lamps used in gyms here are typically ~4200K and +30 hue to get right.

Even once you have it right, the lights cycle and introduce strange casts.

My personal stuff:http://www.flickr.com/​photos/jngirbach/sets/ (external link)
I use a Canon 5DIII and a Sony A7rIII

Jim_T
Goldmember
3,301 posts
Joined Nov 2003

Feb 06, 2010 21:47 |  #11

I haven't had much success with a white card when shooting in auditoriums.. I shot in one that had a mix of incandescent and sodium vapor lamps along with natural sunlight coming in windows near the ceiling. Using the card as the white point didn't work.

I've had the best success finding the proper white balance using a translucent white covering over the lens and shooting in the general area of the activity.. I accidentally discovered that the white translucent plastic coffee lid on the styrofoam cup of coffee I was drinking worked GREAT. When I was drinking the coffee, I wondered if it would work like an Expodisk.. And it did..

Here's a link to several types of diffusers used for setting white balance..

http://www.ppmag.com …arison-white-balan-1.html (external link)

(I still use a white plastic coffee lid.. Burger king drink lids work good too :) )

Persephone
Goldmember
1,122 posts
Joined May 2008

Feb 06, 2010 23:54 |  #12

I usually just shoot florescent.

However, this topic does explain why the WB sometimes changes between shots, even though I do shoot in florescent, and was a mystery to me.

Gear list
"Do you think it was my choice to wed a man I did not love? Live a life I did not choose? I was betrayed by the very gods that once saw me as their own. But no more." - Περσεφόνη (external link), God of War

hondafans
Goldmember
2,535 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Jan 28, 2011 21:28 |  #13

EdZep wrote in post #9555141 (external link)
Well, I don't have your camera. If it's do-able, it will be mentioned in the manual. On a 40d or 7d, etc, you press a WB button, then spin the dial to the Custom WB setting. Then, go into the menu where there's a place to select the image file you've shot, for custom WB.

Thanks for the easy to follow explanation.

SkipD
Cream of the Crop
20,475 posts
Joined Dec 2002

Jan 28, 2011 21:37 |  #14

What everybody is missing in this thread is how to deal with flourescent (or other gas-discharge) lighting that's being operated at power-line frequency. No white balance tricks in the world will solve the problem. What must be done is synchronize the shutter speed to the power line frequency. This means that in the U.S. where we have 60Hz power, the only shutter speeds that are guaranteed to work are 1/120 second, 1/60 second, 1/30 second, 1/15 second, and any slower ones you want to use in this progression.

The reason that these shutter speeds will work is that the shutter is open for a full half-cycle (or multiple full half-cycles) of the power. Thus the image will be made up of all of the different colors and intensities that are made by the lamp as the voltage cycles from 0 volts to the peak voltage.

The only way around this is to use flash lighting that's powerful enough to overpower the ambient lighting. No Speedlite is going to do that from the stands out onto the floor of a gym.

Skip Douglas
A few cameras and over 50 years behind them .....
..... but still learning all the time.

hondafans
Goldmember
2,535 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Jan 29, 2011 08:46 |  #15

SkipD wrote in post #11734759 (external link)
What everybody is missing in this thread is how to deal with flourescent (or other gas-discharge) lighting that's being operated at power-line frequency. No white balance tricks in the world will solve the problem. What must be done is synchronize the shutter speed to the power line frequency. This means that in the U.S. where we have 60Hz power, the only shutter speeds that are guaranteed to work are 1/120 second, 1/60 second, 1/30 second, 1/15 second, and any slower ones you want to use in this progression.

The reason that these shutter speeds will work is that the shutter is open for a full half-cycle (or multiple full half-cycles) of the power. Thus the image will be made up of all of the different colors and intensities that are made by the lamp as the voltage cycles from 0 volts to the peak voltage.

The only way around this is to use flash lighting that's powerful enough to overpower the ambient lighting. No Speedlite is going to do that from the stands out onto the floor of a gym.

Nice to know.

sponsored links

8,806 views & 1 like for this thread
Setting White Balance for indoor sports
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.