Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 11 Feb 2010 (Thursday) 13:47
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Advice needed concerning fast normal/short tele

RaZe42
518 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Feb 11, 2010 13:47 |  #1

I'm currently looking for a fast lens in the 50-85 range to fit on my 5D classic. (Been looking too much at the 'Admirable Blur Thread' at fredmiranda :lol:)

Currently I'm using a Sigma 50/2.8 Macro as my walkaround lens, and i really like the ability to take closeups without too much of a hassle. On the other hand, I'd like to have a faster lens as a walkaround to get nicer bokeh (low-light performance would be a plus, of course)

Manual focusing isn't a problem, I use the Siggy with manual focus most of the time.

Currently I'm looking at the Samyang 85/1.4 (EF+focus confirm chip) and Jupiter-9 85/2 (m42+chipped adapter)

These may be a bit long, but I used my Sigma 50 on my 1000D as a walkaround too, and I didn't really find it too long.

Samyang
+ One stop faster
+ New
- More expensive than Jupiter-9 (I know It's cheap compared to big brand name alternatives, but I'm on a tight budget after buying the 5D)
- Long MFD, I would have to change lenses to take closeups of eg. flowers

Jupiter-9
+ Cheaper
+ M42, could use adapter to other lenses in the future
+ Shorter MFD (?)
- One stop slower
- Old lens, not nice if I would get a damaged copy

What is your opinion on these alternatives?

I'm not really sure if I should go for 50-55 or 85, so feel free to advice on this issue too.

Gear: Canon 5D Mk II | Olympus 21/3.5 | Zeiss Distagon 35/2 | Sigma 50/1.4 ASPH | Samyang 85/1.4 ASPH | Canon 100/2.8 L Macro
My modest Flickr (external link)

sponsored links
gasrocks
Cream of the Crop
13,432 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Feb 11, 2010 13:52 |  #2

Welcome to the forum. CZJ BIotar 58/2 or the cheaper Russian imitator Helios 44-2. (Make sure you get the 8 bladed M42 mount model.) The Samyang 85/1.4 is a great lens and worth the money. Jupiter 9 (there are 2 versions, I have both) is a love it or hate it lens. Look at my gear list and see how many you recognize from the FM bokeh thread.

GEAR LIST

RaZe42
THREAD ­ STARTER
518 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Feb 11, 2010 14:34 as a reply to  @ gasrocks's post |  #3

Do you think the extra stop of the Samyang is worth it considering I'll use it mostly as a walkaround lens and for "arty" shots?

Also, what is it that people hate about the Jupiter-9?

Thanks for the CZJ/Helios suggestion. The helios actually looks so cheap that I could go for it plus a little longer lens.

I see that you've got quite an impressive exotic lens collection, some of the brands I don't even recognize.

Gear: Canon 5D Mk II | Olympus 21/3.5 | Zeiss Distagon 35/2 | Sigma 50/1.4 ASPH | Samyang 85/1.4 ASPH | Canon 100/2.8 L Macro

RaZe42
THREAD ­ STARTER
518 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Feb 11, 2010 14:42 as a reply to  @ gasrocks's post |  #4

Do you think the extra stop of the Samyang is worth it considering I'll use it mostly as a walkaround lens and for "arty" shots?

Also, what is it that people hate about the Jupiter-9?

Thanks for the CZJ/Helios suggestion. The helios actually looks so cheap that I could go for it plus a little longer lens.

I see that you've got quite an impressive exotic lens collection, some of the brands I don't even recognize.

plasticmotif
Goldmember
3,174 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Feb 11, 2010 14:50 |  #5

I'd get the Samyang. I've yet to hear of someone who actually owns this lens not liking it.

The Helios-44/2 is up on ebay all the time for very, very cheap.

Mac P.
My Zenfolio (external link) My Photo Blog (external link) My Equipment
https://photography-on-the.net …p?p=14172975#po​st14172975

RaZe42
THREAD ­ STARTER
518 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Feb 11, 2010 15:11 |  #6

Yeah, I feel the Samyang would be the most "reliable" option although it is very tempting to invest in some cheap Russian glass.

tkbslc
Cream of the Crop
24,585 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Feb 11, 2010 15:13 |  #7

Why not an 85mm f1.8?

Taylor
Galleries: Flickr (external link)
EOS Rp | iPhone 11 Pro Max

RaZe42
THREAD ­ STARTER
518 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Feb 11, 2010 15:54 |  #8

It's rwice the price of the Samyang, half a stop slower (not that big of a deal, but still), and the samyang has nicer bokeh.

The only thing it wins the samyang at is autofocus ;)

sponsored links

1,349 views & 0 likes for this thread
Advice needed concerning fast normal/short tele
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.