Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 11 Feb 2010 (Thursday) 21:26
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Vibration Q's and DSLR tolerance

anothernewb
361 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jan 2009

Feb 11, 2010 21:26 |  #1

OK - this is probably about to rank as one of the top 10 dumbest Q's ever on the site but here goes anyway-

Picked up a motorcycle after about 7 years of dreaming about owning one - and looking forward to putting some serious touring miles on it. The XS is going to be in it's bag (canon 200EG) which will give it some protection, but it'll be covering the miles in one of the saddle bags. I'm worried that the shaking might be hard on the camera.

For those that don't own bikes here - that the saddle bags aren't exactly going to be the softest ride ever. They're leather bags so they're flexible, mounted to the rear of the bike next to the suspension and exhaust. They're gonna shake a bit, and will bounce a bit on rough surfaces.

So, to my question. Am I over thinking this and panicking unnecessarily? or should I be thinking some xtra foam for the saddle bag.

My one alternative is to get an additional sissy bar bag, or to strap the camera bag right to the sissy bar. I really don't have the budget for a rear bag at this time.

Gripped 80D,10-18 STM, 55-250 IS STM, 15-85 IS USM, 85 1.8, 10-400 II, 430 EX II

sponsored links
Pauhana
919 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Feb 12, 2010 09:01 |  #2

Don't know what kind of bike you bought, must be a cruiser, but can you fit a tank bag on it???? Some you can, some you can't.

You can stuff a lot of things in the right tank bag, plus many can be removed and used as backpack. You would need to add some type of protection in the bag for the gear but that can be done.

Added benefit is camera is close by should you want to stop for a quick shot. Also many bags come with rain covers to protect whats in side. Would bet you leather bags will leak in a heavy downpour.

Confused and Prone to Wander.........
Canon Canon 7D II, Canon 7D, Canon 100-400 II, Tamron 17-50 non-VCR

Kafn8td
864 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Feb 2007

Feb 12, 2010 09:17 |  #3

I either have mine in my tank bag or backpack. The tank bag is padded, and then I added an extra layer. Both have waterproof covers, but I take it a step further and always have plastic garbage bags handy in case I see the weather starting to change.

2 years ago we road home from Road America for 5 hours in the rain. I wrapped everything in the plastic bags before we left and then put them into their carriers and not a drop of water got on the camera or my clothes. I use a clear sandwich bag on my GPS with rubber bands so I can still use it.

Where are you at in MN?

anothernewb
THREAD ­ STARTER
361 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Feb 12, 2010 12:09 |  #4

thanks for the replies, yes it's a cruiser. Honda shadow 1100 spirit. Not too worried about water, the bags are oiled pretty good and the they overlap by several inches, but the extra insurance of having a plastic bag in there is a great idea.
was more worried about the vibration messing up some alignment or something. However, if others ride with the cam in their bags I guess I was overly worried after all. I'll probably stick a extra layer of latex foam in the saddlebag just for good measure.

I could always just bring the P&S along - but my primary purpose with this setup was to get out and use both the bike and the DSLR.

I'm in west central MN - Fergus Falls.

Gripped 80D,10-18 STM, 55-250 IS STM, 15-85 IS USM, 85 1.8, 10-400 II, 430 EX II

Pauhana
919 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Feb 12, 2010 13:44 |  #5

Yes ziplock's are a bikers friend. Always carry a few extra when going on a trip. Great for wallet and cell phone in the rain.

Confused and Prone to Wander.........
Canon Canon 7D II, Canon 7D, Canon 100-400 II, Tamron 17-50 non-VCR

ckckevin
Goldmember
1,439 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Feb 12, 2010 14:12 |  #6

as long as the camera didn't jump up or down in there in the bag, you should be fine. Camera are designed for much tougher task. I know people have direct impact of dropping their camera from about 5 ft and it's still fine. I'm pretty sure some vibrating here and there should be ok (which is at least 100x less impact force onto the camera. If you are still worry, put a few more padding!

Kevin life= learning
500D, Canon 10-22mm, Tamron 17-50mm 2.8, Canon 60 macro, Canon 85mm 1.8, Sigma 8mm 3.5, Sigma 30mm 1.4, Sigma 50-150mm 2.8, Kenko SP300 1.4x, efs extension tubes, 580EX, and lens that i don't like

Perfect_10
Goldmember
1,998 posts
Joined Aug 2004

Feb 12, 2010 14:35 |  #7

anothernewb wrote in post #9592853 (external link)
.. Am I over thinking this and panicking unnecessarily? or should I be thinking some xtra foam for the saddle bag. .. .

I think so .. ;)
If mine can survive on the floor of my Jeep in a LowePro bag while I'm going off road, I'm sure your's will be OK in a padded bag strapped to the rear of the bike.

My Gear List  :p

haknslash
425 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Feb 12, 2010 16:06 |  #8

I've taken mine along on dirt bike rides as I no longer ride the street. Just strap it down in the bag so it isn't flopping around and you should be OK.

7D | 50 f/1.4 | 85 f/1.8 | 135 f/2 L | 430EX II

brownmichael
164 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Feb 12, 2010 16:30 |  #9

Should be OK with a good padded case inside a leather saddlebag. Just make sure that no water gets in if you have to ride in the rain. I've carried my 350 D on the bike for many miles, either in the tankbag or tail trunk using just a typical padded camera case. I usually put something soft under it like a piece of clothing just for peace of mind!

My current Canons: 5D, S90, 7D, 550D.
Current lenses: Canon 28 1.8, 50 1.8, 85 1.8, 100 2.0, Sigma 50 1.4, Tamron 28-80 2.8, Tamron 75-200

anothernewb
THREAD ­ STARTER
361 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Feb 12, 2010 21:55 |  #10

good to know. I'm hoping to get a few great sunset shots this summer. favorite thing to do in the past was a sundown cruise. with over a thousand water bodies within 100 miles of my house - I should have something worth shooting.

sponsored links

1,651 views & 0 likes for this thread
Vibration Q's and DSLR tolerance
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.