Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 16 Feb 2010 (Tuesday) 19:38
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Nifty-Fifty for wedding?

sennsm
65 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Feb 16, 2010 19:38 |  #1

I was asked to take photos of a wedding at church. the couple isnt very well off. so of course it is a favor. I only have the kit lens that came with my XS. I have been wanting to get the 50. do you think it will do a good job for a wedding? or do you think it will be better than the kit lens?

Rebel T2i
18-55mm IS /50mm IS 1.4/Tamron 75-300
My Site (external link)
My Facebook (external link)
My Flickr (external link)

sponsored links
Grady69
769 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Mar 2008

Feb 16, 2010 19:48 |  #2

I used mine for a wedding, and it did fine for the shots I used it for. But you will probably still use your kit lens too, for the wide angle.

Canon 7D gripped
Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 VC DI II
Sigma 35mm f/1.4 Art
Sigma 100-400mm f/5-6.3 DG

themadman
Cream of the Crop
18,871 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Feb 16, 2010 19:49 |  #3

Take both. Kit for wide nifty for low light or any DOF fun! =)

Will | WilliamLiuPhotography.​com (external link) | Gear List and Feedback | CPS Member | Have you Pre-Ordered Your 3Dx Yet? | HorusBennu Discussion | In honor of Uncle Steve, thanks for everything! 10-5-2011

Comerfjc
564 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Feb 16, 2010 20:02 as a reply to  @ themadman's post |  #4

I've seen some sweet wedding work done with the nifty fifty. Sounds like a good idea to me.

Jason
http://www.jasoncomerf​ord.com (external link)
http://jasoncomerford.​zenfolio.com/blog (external link)

mikeassk
Goldmember
2,329 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Feb 16, 2010 20:25 |  #5

You should see about renting an external flash. I think they are about 20$ to rent. It will help immensely. The 50 1.8 is fairly soft at 1.8 and if it is dim you will most likely be at 1600iso and up anyway.

Stuff

guntoter
Goldmember
2,409 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2008

Feb 16, 2010 20:26 |  #6

Get the 50mm. You will not regret it. You will definitely want to use it at the wedding. Those inside shots that the kit will be too slow to get.
If you are exiled to the back of the auditorium of a medium size church, the 50 won't be long enough, but if you get on the front row or near that, the 50 will work great at f1.8.
Good luck with the wedding. It can be fun and a little nerve racking too.

Joel
GEAR
Flickr (external link)

Photon ­ Phil
Goldmember
1,763 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Feb 16, 2010 20:40 |  #7

I have nothing against the 50mm and am not trying to troll here but I'd take Jack Black to my wedding as an assistant before taking a nifty fifty. It's a piece of art but to shameful if it falls apart. Edit: I had a nifty-fifty

Bodies: SONY A850 / Pentax K100D / D70 (18-55VR, 55-200)
Primes: Minolta 28 ff2.8 / Minolta 50 f1.7 / Minolta 50 f2.8 Macro
Zooms: 35-70 f4 / 100-200 f4.5 Lights: AB800 / AB400 & CSRB's
Classics:
Pentax Super Tak 50 f1.4 / Pentax SMC 50 f1.4,f1.7,f2.0

lazer-jock
Don't mess
1,557 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Feb 16, 2010 21:21 |  #8

mikeassk wrote in post #9623658 (external link)
You should see about renting an external flash. I think they are about 20$ to rent. It will help immensely. The 50 1.8 is fairly soft at 1.8 and if it is dim you will most likely be at 1600iso and up anyway.

Check with the minister on the flash. Church rules prevail over whatever will make your photos easier. My wife is a pastor and is firm on the "no flash during the ceremony" rule.

I'm off lining my cage with newspaper.
My Gear List

angryhampster
"Got a thick monopod?"
3,860 posts
Joined May 2006

Feb 16, 2010 21:26 |  #9

lazer-jock wrote in post #9623965 (external link)
Check with the minister on the flash. Church rules prevail over whatever will make your photos easier. My wife is a pastor and is firm on the "no flash during the ceremony" rule.

Why is this? A flash is certainly no more distracting than CLACK CLACK CLACK CLACK CLACK.

Steve Lexa
Iowa City Wedding Photography (external link)

mjamesv
100 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Feb 16, 2010 22:21 |  #10

You can get very nice shots with the 50mm 1.8, but you can not get all the shots needed in a wedding with it. Not wide enough. The kit lens maybe more useful.

lazer-jock
Don't mess
1,557 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Feb 16, 2010 22:28 |  #11

angryhampster wrote in post #9623992 (external link)
Why is this? A flash is certainly no more distracting than CLACK CLACK CLACK CLACK CLACK.

Noise can be ignored, but seeing spots because someone wants to nuke you with a direct flash makes it hard to read vows, follow the liturgy, etc. that is required. Most people don't just wing it up there nor do they have it all memorized, and just because someone pinky-swear promises to not be a problem doesn't mean that they won't manage to distract bride/groom/minister at some important point of the ceremony with their thermonuclear flash. Churches are often very dark (as I am sure you well know), and not every photographer is experienced enough to know how to deal with it (hence all of the "I've been asked to shoot a wedding next week" threads). Sometimes they know just enough to be dangerous.

"Oh my, I'm getting a weird color cast form bouncing off the dark wood ceiling. I'll ruin their special day because I don't know how to fix this in post, but I do know that direct flash won't give me that problem. Surely no one would really be that upset if I twist the flash head forward to give the bride and groom better pictures." And variations of the same story happen over and over...)

You also inadvertently tell every other person in the pews with a camera that it is fine to start popping flashes. If you have not run up against a no-flash ceremony at some point in your career, I would consider yourself lucky. Around here more and more churches are moving towards it or setting strict rules that only the paid professional photog is allowed flash. I know that as dSLRs become more and more prevalent, there is an even greater desire to get out there and shoot. I am a pretty firm defender of those that want to shoot wedding for fun and to improve their skills, but I don't think that everyone else is subsequently required to lower their expectations to provide for that. I am not a professional, but I have learned to use fast primes and good post processing to make up for a lack of flash (when it is not allowed). A steady hold and good IS means that I don't have to pop a flash in museum, but I learned how to deal with the region rules (and meet the challenge). I am personally offended when I see someone popping a flash in a museum that has plainly posted that no flash photography is allowed. There are venues that I go to that have said said "no photography allowed", but when I asked if I could shoot without flash, they agreed happily. Unfortunately, I sensed that some hesitated for the same "If I let you do it with only natural light, there will be others trying to shoot with flash that I will have to deal with."

Case in point, my one and only trip to Graceland, there was this little German tourist that acted like a second skin on me because I had an SLR which was a "bigger" camera than her own. She knew that they didn't allow flash, but she didn't have the equipment or skill to pull off pictures in the basement. She would pop her flash and then hide her camera hoping that the security would assume it was me. :evil: I turned her in. I was following the rules that were inconvenient for me, but she didn't care because her trip, her memories were more important than anything else. When there are people like that in the world, you sometimes just have to stick to your guns on enforcing the rules...

I'm off lining my cage with newspaper.
My Gear List

Grady69
769 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Mar 2008

Feb 16, 2010 22:55 |  #12

Photon Phil wrote in post #9623737 (external link)
I have nothing against the 50mm and am not trying to troll here but I'd take Jack Black to my wedding as an assistant before taking a nifty fifty. It's a piece of art but to shameful if it falls apart. Edit: I had a nifty-fifty

Yeah I understand on it falling apart, mine did that last week. I loved that lens, I need to get another one soon. Its an awesome lens for the price!

Canon 7D gripped
Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 VC DI II
Sigma 35mm f/1.4 Art
Sigma 100-400mm f/5-6.3 DG

supernova74
957 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Feb 17, 2010 00:43 as a reply to  @ Grady69's post |  #13

I did a wedding with just a nifty fifty a few weeks ago, but as a second shooter. I struggled with the wide angle aspect.

Mark
Canon 5DMKII. 50D. EF 70-200 f2.8 II L, EF 24-70 L, 50mm f/1.8 II, Speedlite 580EX II, 15mm Fisheye
Facebook (external link)

PMCphotography
Goldmember
1,775 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Feb 17, 2010 01:56 as a reply to  @ supernova74's post |  #14

I Use my nifty fifty a lot for weddings, and I own a few L lenses.

Why? It has a certain softness to it that works great for skin I can't quite get with any other lens.

All these were taken with a nifty fifty:

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i562.photobucke​t.com …axWedding-1512-2-Edit.jpg (external link)
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Byte size: ZERO

http://i562.photobucke​t.com …hotography/wedd​ings-4.jpg (external link)

http://i562.photobucke​t.com …hotography/wedd​ings-1.jpg (external link)

Twitter (external link)
Hobart Wedding Photography (external link)
I have some camera stuff. Here it is.

Mazu
140 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Feb 17, 2010 03:32 as a reply to  @ PMCphotography's post |  #15

I used mine for a friends wedding and got great pics out of it, having an EX430 helped a lot. During ceremony i didn't use any flash (only the official photog was allowed to use one) but after ceremony I used its IR beam for helping the nifty to focus accurately and as a flash.

Canon 30D, Tokina 100mm macro, Sigma 17-70, 50mm 1.8, 85mm 1.8, 70-200 f/4L IS
Raynox DCR-250, 430EX
Pics: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/mazu/ (external link)

sponsored links

7,553 views & 0 likes for this thread
Nifty-Fifty for wedding?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.