Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
Thread started 17 Feb 2010 (Wednesday) 12:38
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Condition of Used Adorama Cameras?

themadman
Cream of the Crop
18,871 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Feb 17, 2010 12:38 |  #1

Hey folks. I was wondering what are people's personal experience with the Condition of used Adorama products. I am looking at various camera bodies rated at (V) aka Very Good.

Thanks in Advance.

Will | WilliamLiuPhotography.​com (external link) | Gear List and Feedback | CPS Member | Have you Pre-Ordered Your 3Dx Yet? | HorusBennu Discussion | In honor of Uncle Steve, thanks for everything! 10-5-2011

sponsored links
vinnie6756
Goldmember
1,075 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Feb 18, 2010 21:17 |  #2

I purchased a used "excellent" 24-70 f/2.8L from them last October. Upon arrival, I was not impressed nor did I feel it was in "excellent" condition. If fact, for the money I paid, I felt I was going to lose 1/4 of it if I was to keep it and try to sell it immediately.

Feeling a little betrayed, I called Adorama right away after opening the package and inspecting the lens. I talked to a gentleman named Scott in the used department. Scott asked if the condition of the lens was noticed in any images I captured. Since I just received it and hadn't used it, I couldn't be sure.

Since it was a Friday and the close at 1:00EST, Scott suggested I try it out over the weekend and if it affected IQ or I wasn't completely satisfied, give him a call back and he would be glad to take it back and refund my money.

Long story short, if you are not happy with the condition described, they are very easy to deal with and are very accepting of any comment or questions you may have.

skier860
55 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Feb 18, 2010 21:59 |  #3

I have bought one lens (100-400) and one camera body (40D) both in D condition. Both looked and functioned as new. I am completely satisfied.

leroy_sunset
679 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Feb 19, 2010 13:04 |  #4

I just bought a V-condition 1D. I'll tell you what I think when it gets here :D

Canon's Jurassic Park - 1Ds, 1D bodies
My traveling buddy: the trusty S95
Newest addition: T2i
Glass - 50mm 1.4, 40mm 2.8 STM, "the dirty 85" 1.8, 100mm 2.8 Macro, 430exII, 270ex, and more... including my favorite Lens: the 17-40mm!

themadman
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
18,871 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Feb 20, 2010 03:09 |  #5

skier860 wrote in post #9637469 (external link)
I have bought one lens (100-400) and one camera body (40D) both in D condition. Both looked and functioned as new. I am completely satisfied.

Well, D is suppose to be newish so I am not surprised. I am a bit more interested in E/E-/V condition items.

leroy_sunset wrote in post #9640796 (external link)
I just bought a V-condition 1D. I'll tell you what I think when it gets here :D

Thanks, looking forward to it.

Will | WilliamLiuPhotography.​com (external link) | Gear List and Feedback | CPS Member | Have you Pre-Ordered Your 3Dx Yet? | HorusBennu Discussion | In honor of Uncle Steve, thanks for everything! 10-5-2011

KenjiS
"Holy crap its long!"
21,355 posts
Gallery: 542 photos
Joined Oct 2008

Feb 20, 2010 11:28 |  #6

Thanks for this thread, im paying attention now that i need another place to go for used stuff :/

Gear, New and Old! RAW Club Member
Wanted: 70-200. Time and good health
Deviantart (external link)
Flickr (This is where my good stuff is!) (external link)

omewilli
161 posts
Joined May 2007

Feb 20, 2010 16:38 |  #7

In the last month I bought a used 30D & Canon 70-300 IS lens from Adorama. The body looked clean from the outside no dents or scratches but I had to wet clean the sensor. The lens looked new. The combo works perfect.
No complains here.
I buy 90% of my stuff new or used from Adorama.

Canon 5D Markiii, 100-400, 400 f5.6 XT 1.4 iii, 24-70 f2.8 v2, Tamron 150-600 (for Sale)

ougrad02
133 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Feb 22, 2010 01:24 |  #8

I purchased a used 40D body from them and was extremely happy. Item was exactly as described by them. YMMV.

40D, Tokina 11-16 f/2.8, 17-55 f/2.8 IS

mastertech01
Goldmember
2,098 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Feb 22, 2010 06:50 |  #9

I think they should include pictures of the actual items so you can see for yourself what they are calling the condition as. I guess you can email them for pics but not sure if they will comply. I do not think folks should have to ask but that is just my humble opinion. My E- 1D MK III camera had lots of paint scuffs and missing paint. My V lens was scraped up and dinged up, but the photos are adequate and glass was clean. I didnt return either one. I see no reason why they cant link some photos of the item when they have many photos posted on their Ebay offerings. IMHO

themadman
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
18,871 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Feb 22, 2010 14:38 |  #10

omewilli wrote in post #9647669 (external link)
In the last month I bought a used 30D & Canon 70-300 IS lens from Adorama. The body looked clean from the outside no dents or scratches but I had to wet clean the sensor. The lens looked new. The combo works perfect.
No complains here.
I buy 90% of my stuff new or used from Adorama.

ougrad02 wrote in post #9656320 (external link)
I purchased a used 40D body from them and was extremely happy. Item was exactly as described by them. YMMV.

What condition did they rate those at?

omewilli
161 posts
Joined May 2007

Feb 23, 2010 18:09 |  #11

themadman

camera E+
lens D

Canon 5D Markiii, 100-400, 400 f5.6 XT 1.4 iii, 24-70 f2.8 v2, Tamron 150-600 (for Sale)

leroy_sunset
679 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Feb 25, 2010 00:52 |  #12

OK guys, here's my V-condition 1D.

IMO, it's in awesome shape for the price, very conservatively rated. A little more beat up than my 1Ds, but still pretty damn good. The rear screen is nearly scratch-free, and the top is perfect. There are the usual marks at the corners. Grip is great, although it needed a cleaning with alcohol-soaked QTips. It was missing the eyecup, that sucks. I think it needs a new focus screen (I'm picky). It came with a Canon OEM charger, worth the price of admission in and of itself. Came with a real, sturdy body cap that was stock for this model. It came with an OEM battery, it died after about 20 shots and messing around with settings. It's on the charger, in the middle of a refresh cycle. Good thing I already had 3 more charged and waiting, and another Lenmar on the way Who knows, maybe it's decent. Last, the sensor was a little dusty, but after a blast of air there is only one tiny little fiber still stuck on it (hopefully a fiber and not a scratch, although the way it's positioned and curved, I'm 99.9% positive it's not a scratch). I'll take it in to be cleaned Friday before I leave town to shoot my friend's little girl playing some hoops!

Best of all, the body has just over 47k actuations. I am beyond stoked. The camera estimates that it will hold 792 RAW files at ISO 200 on my 4gig card (233x Ridata formatted for FAT on my computer). This thing is pretty zippy, too. Pics write to the card faster than my 1Ds, and the review comes up a lot faster. My hypothesis is they have the same processor specs, but the 1Ds is writing a much larger file, hence the comparative slowness. I will say the focusing seems a bit slower than on my 1Ds; maybe I'm just imagining it.

Please excuse the lack of uniform white balance and the crappy flash setup, I was in a rush. Judge the rating for yourself :D

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 403 | MIME changed to 'image/png'

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

Canon's Jurassic Park - 1Ds, 1D bodies
My traveling buddy: the trusty S95
Newest addition: T2i
Glass - 50mm 1.4, 40mm 2.8 STM, "the dirty 85" 1.8, 100mm 2.8 Macro, 430exII, 270ex, and more... including my favorite Lens: the 17-40mm!

KenjiS
"Holy crap its long!"
21,355 posts
Gallery: 542 photos
Joined Oct 2008

Feb 25, 2010 09:18 |  #13

Looks accurately rated to me, it has wear, but nothing excessive

Gear, New and Old! RAW Club Member
Wanted: 70-200. Time and good health
Deviantart (external link)
Flickr (This is where my good stuff is!) (external link)

sponsored links

1,207 views & 0 likes for this thread
Condition of Used Adorama Cameras?
FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.