Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 17 Feb 2010 (Wednesday) 21:34
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Help with wrinkles in Muslin Backdrop

alann
Goldmember
2,689 posts
Gallery: 32 photos
Joined Nov 2007

Feb 17, 2010 21:34 |  #1

I just received 2 muslin backdrops (one white and one black). Wife tried to iron the, for lack of better word, "fold" creases out but did not work. Was wondering if anyone had any ideas on how to get these things as wrinkle free as possible. Would running them through a dryer help or could it damage them?

My FLickrPage (external link)

sponsored links
SilverHCIC
Goldmember
1,460 posts
Joined Nov 2007
Location: Swimming, cycling or running ... somewhere in California

Feb 17, 2010 21:43 |  #2
bannedPermanent ban

I don't worry about wrinkles in muslin. In fact, I just crumple & shove mine into tight-fitting bags. After enough use, the wrinkles get so small that they don't really matter. Just make sure your BG separation distance is sufficient that the muslin isn't in focus.

"It's easy to find your bike in transition when you're the last one out of the ocean ... it's no fun being lost at sea :rolleyes:."

PacAce
Cream of the Crop
26,899 posts
Joined Feb 2003

Feb 17, 2010 21:57 |  #3

Trying to get rid of the wrinkles from the muslin is an exercise in futility. So...

Just throw it into the washing machine and then the dryer to get rid of the folds. Then mash it up into as small a ball as possible and stuff it into the bag it came in (if it did, otherwise you can use a pillow case). Try to be as "random' as you can in stuffing the muslin in the bag so that the wrinkles produced are as random as possible. When you're ready to use it, hang it over the background stand a few days beforehand to give the wrinkles a chance to relax a little (but they won't go away).

If you really don't care for the wrinkles, you can try steaming the muslin while it's hanging on the background stand with one of those little hand steamers. I've never tried it myself although I've read of people having done it.

...Leo

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
30,599 posts
Gallery: 440 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2006

Feb 17, 2010 21:59 |  #4

Like Leo said, hang it and use a steamer if you want the best results.

Denios
64 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Feb 17, 2010 22:51 |  #5

put a duvet over the ironing board, the muslin over that and iron it like that. The duvet will absorb a lot of heat and push it back up from beneath the muslin, making ironing way more effective. If you still have problems that way put a moist towel over the muslin as well and iron over that to enhance steam output and enhance the effectiveness further.
Costs nothing to try, and I've never had anything I couldn't iron that way...

Shadowblade
Cream of the Crop
5,806 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Dec 2008

Feb 21, 2010 10:01 |  #6

Get a portable steamer. Like the E-Steam here (external link).

Then you can crumple fabric backdrops as much as you like for easier transport, then give them a quick steam on location prior to shooting.

kenwood33
Goldmember
2,616 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Feb 21, 2010 10:05 |  #7

try fabric softener and stretching

Gearlist

unchman14
158 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Feb 21, 2010 10:22 |  #8

I had the same problem. Just iron it with steam to get most of the wrinkles out. If you are lighting it well enough, they won't show up anyways.

Canon 1D Mark II | 70-200 f/4 L | Rokinon 14 f/2.8
Cody Unczur Photography (external link)

lancemoreland
165 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Feb 21, 2010 11:02 |  #9

I use ball bungees and spring clamps like these to gently stretch the muslin.

IMAGE: http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31FEDNhzk5L._SL500_AA280_.jpg
IMAGE: http://www.stanleytools.com/catalog_images/web_detail/83-086_web_detail.jpg

The ball bungees are wrapped around the end stands (uprights) and the spring clamp is clamped to the muslin to lightly pull the muslin tight. Three or four on each side work nicely. Ball Bungees are not very long and I usually use two per clamp. You can get the ball bungees on ebay and the spring clamps can be had by the bag at Walmart for about $8.00. Both items have many other photographic uses and come in handy for other tasks.

Lance
www.lancemoreland.com (external link)

bobbyz
Cream of the Crop
20,506 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Feb 21, 2010 12:04 |  #10

gonzogolf wrote in post #9630873 (external link)
Like Leo said, hang it and use a steamer if you want the best results.

You can't wash better quality hand painted ones. One thing I have seen is that heavy duty hand painted ones have less of a wrinkle problem as the material is quite heavy and thick. It will be hard to bunch them into a bag an dthat will make lot more wrinkles. I roll them like carpet. I also saw on photovison DVD, Ed Pierce do that, where he rolls his muslins from David Meheauon a pvc pipe. Of courese it will take more space. In my case, I fold the roll in half. Once installed, you use A clamps to tighten them and then can use had steamer like already mentioned. Taking one crease out is much easier if they were rolled and folded.

Fuji XT-1, 18-55mm
Sony A7rIV, , Tamron 28-200mm, Sigma 40mm f1.4 Art FE, Sony 85mm f1.8 FE, Sigma 105mm f1.4 Art FE
Fuji GFX50s, 23mm f4, 32-64mm, 45mm f2.8, 110mm f2, 120mm f4 macro
Canon 24mm TSE-II, 85mm f1.2 L II, 90mm TSE-II Macro, 300mm f2.8 IS I

Player9
658 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Feb 21, 2010 17:01 |  #11

If you mash it up enough, it will have only wrinkles and not larger "folds." That helps, but the best thing is to (1) have it far back enough to be out of focus even when shooting at small apertures and (2) light it evenly. If the background is lit with a small light stand right behind the subject(s) and the fill light on the subject is on-axis type fill that spills evenly on the background, the wrinkles and folds will usually be fairly unnoticeable. When too much light is hitting the background from the side, the wrinkles will be more visible.

RP, 60D, RF 24-105mm f/4-7.1 IS, RF 35mm f/1.8 IS, RF 50mm f/1.8, EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5, EF-S 18-135mm 3.5-5.6 IS, EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS, Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8, EF 28mm f/1.8, EF 50mm f/1.8, EF-S 60mm f/2.8 macro, EF 85mm f/1.8, El-100, 430ex, 220ex, Alien Bee B400 (2), Alien Bee B800 (2)

Poco ­ Red
237 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Feb 21, 2010 19:26 as a reply to  @ Player9's post |  #12

Just pull accross with the c clamps and then take a bottle of water in a spray container and spray the muslin within minutes wrinkles are gone! At least it works for me!

http://www.TDPhotos.ca (external link)

Leave only footprints, Take only Photographs!

bobbyz
Cream of the Crop
20,506 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Feb 21, 2010 20:05 |  #13

Poco Red wrote in post #9654348 (external link)
Just pull accross with the c clamps and then take a bottle of water in a spray container and spray the muslin within minutes wrinkles are gone! At least it works for me!

This is a good idea. I remember SilverLake photo recommended doing it.

Fuji XT-1, 18-55mm
Sony A7rIV, , Tamron 28-200mm, Sigma 40mm f1.4 Art FE, Sony 85mm f1.8 FE, Sigma 105mm f1.4 Art FE
Fuji GFX50s, 23mm f4, 32-64mm, 45mm f2.8, 110mm f2, 120mm f4 macro
Canon 24mm TSE-II, 85mm f1.2 L II, 90mm TSE-II Macro, 300mm f2.8 IS I

Eggwhite
69 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Mar 13, 2010 11:13 |  #14

Can you help me with Muslin Backdrops?

... I'm trying to setup my first home studio. I want to experiment with portraits and still life studio setting and controlled lighting.

I've purchased background stands and 3 muslins BLACK, WHITE, GREEN. These are 10x13 and wow these are bigger than I was expecting.

What is the correct way to hang these for portrait work? Should they have "bunched pleats" (like room dividers at conventions) or should they be drawn tight with slack collected at one end of the bar? Should the extra at the floor be pulled forward or tucked behind?

Is it really true that these should be balled up in a bag for storage?

I searched for help on this but couldn't find a thread that had the basics for using a muslin.

Much thanks to those who share their knowledge.

Ed

- eggwhite -
The Box --- Canon 5DII, 50D The Glass --- EF 24-70 2.8, EF 28-135 IS USM, EF 70-300 IS USM, EF 50 1.8, EFs 18-55, Tamron SP 17-50 F/2.8 VC.
The Gear --- Manfroto 055xprob Tripod with 322RC2 Head, Canon 580EXII, Sunpak PZ42X Speedlight.

lancemoreland
165 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Mar 13, 2010 11:23 |  #15

Eggwhite wrote in post #9788575 (external link)
... I'm trying to setup my first home studio. I want to experiment with portraits and still life studio setting and controlled lighting.

I've purchased background stands and 3 muslins BLACK, WHITE, GREEN. These are 10x13 and wow these are bigger than I was expecting.

What is the correct way to hang these for portrait work? Should they have "bunched pleats" (like room dividers at conventions) or should they be drawn tight with slack collected at one end of the bar? Should the extra at the floor be pulled forward or tucked behind?

Is it really true that these should be balled up in a bag for storage?

I searched for help on this but couldn't find a thread that had the basics for using a muslin.

Much thanks to those who share their knowledge.

Ed

Well, I don't think there is any one correct way. Some go with the wrinkles. Some go with draping the muslin. Some stretch it and try to get the wrinkles out. Some use a little of all the techniques depending on the look they are after and whether or not the backgound is in focus. Here is a shot of my setup with the black muslin up stretched and wrinkles out (well not completely out but out where I needed it for this shoot).

IMAGE: http://www.pbase.com/lancemoreland/image/122338461.jpg

Lance
www.lancemoreland.com (external link)

sponsored links

24,811 views & 0 likes for this thread
Help with wrinkles in Muslin Backdrop
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.