Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Video and Sound Editing 
Thread started 20 Feb 2010 (Saturday) 02:41
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

5D Mark II/1D Mark IV used for filming in 24!!!

grego
Cream of the Crop
8,819 posts
Joined May 2005

Feb 20, 2010 02:41 |  #1

Nice little video by Stargate Studios that works on many tv shows, including 24!!

http://www.youtube.com​/watch?v=nIWGKowjuIo (external link)

Go UCLA (external link)!! |Gear|http://gregburmann.com (external link)SportsShooter (external link)|Flickr (external link)|

sponsored links
Berrygood17
176 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Feb 22, 2010 23:40 |  #2

that was a cool link that you shared. thanks

Canon 1D Mark II n
17-40 mm f/4L, Canon Speedlite 580EX II, 70-200 mm f/2.8 Tamron , Elinchrom bxri 500 and 250, Skyport Universal Receiver ;)

Ducky ­ 2.0T
216 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Feb 23, 2010 09:56 |  #3

That's one hell of a rig!

Canon 5DII
Canon 100-400L, Canon 24-105L, Canon 50mm F/1.4
7 Million Dollar Home - Speedlite 430 EX - Manfrotto Magfiber Tripod

pearts
218 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Feb 25, 2010 20:05 as a reply to  @ Ducky 2.0T's post |  #4

it's a good thing they only need to record 10 minutes of video at a time... other their sensor will overheat and shutdown, unless their gonna put it in a cryotainer

basroil
Cream of the Crop
8,015 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Feb 26, 2010 00:57 |  #5

pearts wrote in post #9683707 (external link)
it's a good thing they only need to record 10 minutes of video at a time... other their sensor will overheat and shutdown, unless their gonna put it in a cryotainer

5d sensor doesn't overheat after 10 min. Nor does it overheat after 20 min. Simply stops recording after 13 min or so. Was at an event with a canon rep way back when 5d was the only video slr canon made, and he recorded an hour long event on it without issue. It's only the hot pixel issue that may show up that's a problem.

I don't hate macs or OSX, I hate people and statements that portray them as better than anything else. Macs are A solution, not THE solution. Get a good desktop i7 with Windows 7 and come tell me that sucks for photo or video editing.
Gear List

Ducky ­ 2.0T
216 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Feb 26, 2010 08:46 |  #6

pearts wrote in post #9683707 (external link)

While I am sure 24 has a pretty large budget.. Buying a handful of 5DII's and 1DIV's is considerably cheaper then the other suitable alternative (think $150k+).

Flexibility, cost, utility.. These DSLR's are blowing people away with value.

Canon 5DII
Canon 100-400L, Canon 24-105L, Canon 50mm F/1.4
7 Million Dollar Home - Speedlite 430 EX - Manfrotto Magfiber Tripod

RWatkins
Goldmember
1,229 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Feb 26, 2010 19:57 |  #7

Ducky 2.0T wrote in post #9686470 (external link)
While I am sure 24 has a pretty large budget.. Buying a handful of 5DII's and 1DIV's is considerably cheaper then the other suitable alternative (think $150k+).

Flexibility, cost, utility.. These DSLR's are blowing people away with value.

Not only buying, but mounting them as well or loosing them if a mount fails.

Stuff and things
President – International Brotherhood of Instagram Haters

chris78cpr
586 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Feb 28, 2010 16:52 |  #8

Thats a great link, thanks for sharing.

Canon 5dmkii | 7d | Canon 1dmkii | Canon 400D | Canon 10D | Canon 1VHS | Canon Eos 3 | 17-40F4L | 24-105F4LIS | 70-200F2.8LIS | 100-400LIS | 15F2.8 | 20F1.8EX | 50F1.4 | 85F1.8 | 100F2.8 Macro | 2 x 550EX | 1.4xII
Hasselblad 500CM | 80mm F2.8 CFE | A12 back | WLF

Lawnboy
127 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Mar 01, 2010 16:49 |  #9

basroil wrote in post #9685222 (external link)
5d sensor doesn't overheat after 10 min. Nor does it overheat after 20 min. Simply stops recording after 13 min or so. Was at an event with a canon rep way back when 5d was the only video slr canon made, and he recorded an hour long event on it without issue. It's only the hot pixel issue that may show up that's a problem.

If the camera stops recording after 13 min or so, is there a "down time" or do you have to wait a certain amount of time before you can start recording again? I have been shooting some weddings with a old XL-1 and would like to move to a 5d ii for the candid video shots and some stills along with the XL-1 (using the XL-1 for the actual wedding ceremony).

LSV
335 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Mar 01, 2010 18:26 |  #10

Lawnboy wrote in post #9708781 (external link)
If the camera stops recording after 13 min or so, is there a "down time" or do you have to wait a certain amount of time before you can start recording again? I have been shooting some weddings with a old XL-1 and would like to move to a 5d ii for the candid video shots and some stills along with the XL-1 (using the XL-1 for the actual wedding ceremony).

I was using my 5dmkII for about 2 hours Friday night. Including a driving scene that was split up into 3 parts. Only issues with the 5d are: hard to focus properly on such a small screen, and battery is awesome until you shoot an hour of video+ more with live-view. Wouldn't shoot that wedding with the 5d (except maybe the end), but random clips would be just fine.

LeavingTheCandy
37 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Mar 01, 2010 18:52 |  #11

The bigger battery on the MKIV is a feature that's seldom talked about.

Zephyrize
316 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Mar 03, 2010 10:03 |  #12

Lawnboy wrote in post #9708781 (external link)

As LSV said, there's no problem doing continuous video shooting with the 5D2, as long as you have enough memory and battery backup.
For focusing, it is highly recommended you attach a loupe, z-finder for instance, on the lcd
the only time i heard a dslr overheat is the 7D shooting in 60p for over an hour

~Be the change you want to see in the world.
Flickriver. (external link)

altered_pixel
192 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Mar 04, 2010 00:22 |  #13

My friend just got a new mark and he loves it! The video mode is amazing!

They're always making videos with it and some of them turn out pretty impressive for what he paid for it.

I can imagine they're used often for "disposable" cameras in the film industry.

http://chris.ccsijax.c​om/ (external link)http://thechriscoleman​.com/ (external link)
Canon 350D/XT
Tamron f 2.8 28-75
Canon 430 EX II

Livinthalife
Cream of the Crop
5,118 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Mar 04, 2010 10:07 |  #14

The cameras and lenses cost more than the car!

-Andy-

sponsored links

3,268 views & 0 likes for this thread
5D Mark II/1D Mark IV used for filming in 24!!!
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Video and Sound Editing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.