Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Video and Sound Editing 
Thread started 21 Feb 2010 (Sunday) 07:51
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

My first video 7D

Livinthalife
Cream of the Crop
5,118 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Feb 21, 2010 07:51 |  #1

Well got the 7D the other day and decided to give it a wing on video. first of all, I learned stabilization is even more important with video. Before I was concerned holding the camera steady for fractions of a second for a photo, and now I have to hold it still for complete seconds to minutes? Difficult. Now I know the 10-22 will come in handy for sure with this feature.
I also learned that a pistol grip head on my tripod is a very bad choice when using video. Guess I will have to pick up a new head as well.

But any basic advice in my direction is appreciated. feel free to let me hear it, just be nice, my feelings are easily hurt HAAHAHAH.

http://www.youtube.com​/watch?v=AMrq2bFR9dY (external link)

-Andy-

sponsored links
IndecentSC
38 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Feb 21, 2010 12:12 |  #2

have you use the the 10-22 with video and in video mode does it auto focus or you have to manual focus?

Canon 7d - Niffty 50mm f1.8 - Tonkina 12-24mm - Tamron 28-75mm

Livinthalife
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
5,118 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Feb 21, 2010 18:23 |  #3

Ive used the 10-22, it's nice.

You can AF in while the video is running, but it's not that great. It's better to just MF.

-Andy-

NYNCTC
604 posts
Joined May 2009

Feb 21, 2010 21:17 |  #4

not bad. just learn to stabilize it and you'll be golden. nice song too. what did you use to edit?

Gear
Flickr (external link)

Livinthalife
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
5,118 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Feb 22, 2010 03:50 |  #5

Thanks, the tripod I was using had a pistol style grip which is awesome for photos. You can move in any direction with a pull of the "trigger". However, this is a poor setup for video where you may want to just pan, smoothly.
Editing, I just used the standard program that came with the camera. It's functional. But looks like I may have get aperture 3 for more editing possibilities.

-Andy-

wazzupbeckham
152 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Mar 01, 2010 02:04 |  #6

is AF that slow?

whats the program that came with the camera?

I love my 5D, but I want a 550D as well. :cool:

Rmitchell248
368 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Mar 01, 2010 06:46 |  #7

the AF does not work very well when recording... Usually it will pull the view out of focus further then run back into focus. It is not smooth at all and you have to press the button to get it to refocus, it is not full time AF. You are best off manually focusing like the OP said

belongus3
117 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Mar 18, 2010 06:57 as a reply to  @ Rmitchell248's post |  #8

Very nice video considering is yr first one. I enjoy it at least for the good choice of LINKIN PARK`s music. By the way ...is that yr car ?

Mark ­ II
Goldmember
2,153 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Mar 18, 2010 07:31 as a reply to  @ belongus3's post |  #9

Bring us some more lata. Not bad for the first.

Heres my first one: http://www.youtube.com​/watch?v=6olj3RZ4c6Y (external link)

1DX7D - 40D IR converted Sony RX100,
Canon 85 L II, EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II, EF 24-105L, 16-35mm f/2.8 II L, 100L & 60mm Macro , Fisheye EF 15mm f2.8, Tokina 10-17

Ken ­ Nielsen
Goldmember
1,510 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Mar 18, 2010 13:40 |  #10

What is the secret to getting the camera to focus where you want it? Did you use manual focus? My manual says that continuous focus of a moving subject is not possible with AF. Even with still subjects, my camera goes out of focus when I move it from foreground (in focus) to background subject (goes out of focus in AF.)

Mark ­ II
Goldmember
2,153 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Mar 18, 2010 20:12 as a reply to  @ Ken Nielsen's post |  #11

Manual focus at infinty or follow focus. Follow focus takes practice.

The video I shot? ... I focused on the center of the box's height and locked it on manual from that point onward. x5 or x10 will help in live view.

1DX7D - 40D IR converted Sony RX100,
Canon 85 L II, EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II, EF 24-105L, 16-35mm f/2.8 II L, 100L & 60mm Macro , Fisheye EF 15mm f2.8, Tokina 10-17

Ken ­ Nielsen
Goldmember
1,510 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Mar 19, 2010 16:03 |  #12

So, follow focus and zoom are going to require both hands and a good tripod plus lots of practice.

sponsored links

2,407 views & 0 likes for this thread
My first video 7D
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Video and Sound Editing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.