Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 23 Feb 2010 (Tuesday) 15:56
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Off-camera High Speed Sync

charl1e
246 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Feb 23, 2010 15:56 |  #1

Hey guys, I am venturing into the high speed OCF world, and I am still a bit confused as to how you achieve HSS with multiple wireless flashes.

As of now, I am thinking of buying a 550ex as a master, and then maybe a 430ex off camera as slave. Would this setup work for outdoor shoots in HSS?

Also, is there any way I can use my Vivitar 285HV's with optical receivers as slaves with the 550ex in HSS?

Canon 5D Mark III, 35mm f1.4L, 70-200mm f2.8L, 50mm f1.4, 85mm f1.8, 50mm f1.8, Sigma 24-35mm f2 ART
Add me on Facebook! (external link)
Charlie Chang Photography (external link)

PacAce
Cream of the Crop
26,898 posts
Joined Feb 2003

Feb 23, 2010 16:41 |  #2

Yes, HSS will work outdoors with your flashes set up in an E-TTL wireless configuration. However, you'll have two things going against you right off the bat so your working distance is going to be limited to some degree. First of all, under bright sun light, the master will be competing with the sun so its lower powered command flashes may not be as visible to the slaves unless they are close to the master. If the sun is in front of the slave and the sunlight falling on slave's IR sensor, the sun will cause a glare that makes it difficult for the slave to "see" the command flash from the master at longer master to slave distances.

Then there's the fact that, when in HSS mode, the output of the flash is reduced by an amount which depends on the shutter speed used. You'll lose two stops of light as soon as the flash is switched to HSS mode. And then you'll lose an additional stop of light for every stop above the max sync speed you set the shutter speed. For example, if you set the shutter speed to 1/500, you'll lose about 3 stops of light compared to shooting in normal (non-HSS) mode. At 1/1000, you'll lose 4 stops of light.

So just be sure to take these things into account when setting up the flashes outdoors in an E-TTL wireless configuration.

...Leo

PacAce
Cream of the Crop
26,898 posts
Joined Feb 2003

Feb 23, 2010 16:44 |  #3

charl1e wrote in post #9667653 (external link)
Hey guys, I am venturing into the high speed OCF world, and I am still a bit confused as to how you achieve HSS with multiple wireless flashes.

As of now, I am thinking of buying a 550ex as a master, and then maybe a 430ex off camera as slave. Would this setup work for outdoor shoots in HSS?

Also, is there any way I can use my Vivitar 285HV's with optical receivers as slaves with the 550ex in HSS?

It's never a good idea to mix regular optical slaves in an E-TTL wireless configuration because it never works right. The optical slaves will never fire in sync with the camera and when they do go off, they usually mess up the master command signal enough that the EX slaves won't fire.

...Leo

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

1,892 views & 0 likes for this thread
Off-camera High Speed Sync
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.