Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 24 Feb 2010 (Wednesday) 00:59
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Can't decide if I should keep my Tokina 12-24

mtran
64 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Feb 24, 2010 00:59 |  #1

Hi, sorry but it's another one of these darned threads. Currently I have a Tokina 12-24, which I really love for the wide angle shots. However this lens flares like crazy! Even lights from very far distances tend to cause a ton of flare. I was considering selling this lens and purchasing a Canon 10-22 for the wider end and better flare control.

OR I could keep the 12-24 and choose my shots carefully.
My choices now, would be between
1) Canon 10-22
2) Canon 135L or Canon 100 2.8L IS Macro (I'm having a hard time choosing between this one)
3) Sigma 30 1.4 + Canon 85 1.8

There are so many lens combos out there, it's very hard to decide!!
Shooting styles are landscape/cityscape, portrait, *looking into sports/motorsports this summer*

GEAR Canon 7D | Canon 40D | Canon 430EX II | Canon 10-22 f3.5-4.5 | Sigma 18-50mm f2.8 EX DC Macro | Canon 50mm f1.8 II | Lowepro Flipside 400AW | Crumpler 6MDH | Slik Sprint Pro II GM Tripod

sponsored links
Invertalon
Cream of the Crop
6,495 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Feb 24, 2010 06:31 |  #2

Ive run into the same issues, mostly at night. As long as I know what I can't shoot with it, I am fine. I will probably hold onto it until I get my hands on the DX II version once BH/Adorama have it in stock, because the DX II has improved coatings to reduce flare... The lens is so nice though, I really dont want to sell it.

-Steve
Facebook (external link)
Flickr (external link)

nureality
Goldmember
3,611 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Feb 24, 2010 06:35 |  #3

upgrade to 11-16mm f/2.8

Alan "NuReality" Fronshtein
Gear List | PBase |  (external link)flickr (external link)
Lots of Fun, Lots of Laughs, Happy Trigger Finger!

Invertalon
Cream of the Crop
6,495 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Feb 24, 2010 06:43 |  #4

Interesting.... Just checked BH and the DX II model is now in STOCK.

Purchased it! So my DX will be for sale tonight :D

-Steve
Facebook (external link)
Flickr (external link)

Bunny
82 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Feb 24, 2010 15:14 |  #5

mtran wrote in post #9670983 (external link)
3) Sigma 30 1.4 + Canon 85 1.8

I've been thinking of switching my EF-S 10-22 & 55-250 to EF 28/1.8 & 85/1.8
(The 28 instead of the Sigma 30 because it has more suitable MFD)
The more I think of it the more this combination makes sense.
Then again I might be completely nuts :confused:

Gear List

DrPablo
Goldmember
1,568 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Feb 24, 2010 19:53 |  #6

mtran wrote in post #9670983 (external link)
Hi, sorry but it's another one of these darned threads. Currently I have a Tokina 12-24, which I really love for the wide angle shots. However this lens flares like crazy!

I've taken probably 10,000 shots with mine and never noticed flare except when shooting directly into the sun. Strange...

Canon 5D Mark IV, 24-105L II, 17 TS-E f/4L, MPE 65, Sigma 50 f/1.4, Sigma 85 f/1.4, 100 f/2.8L, 135 f/2L, 70-200 f/4L, 400 L
Film gear: Agfa 8x10, Cambo 4x5, Noblex 150, Hasselblad 500 C/M

Invertalon
Cream of the Crop
6,495 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Feb 24, 2010 20:12 |  #7

It's not horrible, no, but for night photography any strong light source causes pretty serious flare. Most other times, it is a non-issue. Just depends what you shoot.

Amazing lens, for sure. For what I shoot though, I need a little more flare resistance. So I am hoping the DX II can deliver it.

-Steve
Facebook (external link)
Flickr (external link)

DrPablo
Goldmember
1,568 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Feb 24, 2010 20:38 |  #8

Invertalon wrote in post #9676707 (external link)
It's not horrible, no, but for night photography any strong light source causes pretty serious flare.

That has not been my experience. I mean how about this one with the landing lights and strobes from at least 20 commercial airliners shining directly at the camera (not to mention the skyline)? Or the second one which is full of bright streetlamps (and the light next to the moon is not flare, it's just moonlight on a cloud). Or the third in a dark cathedral (overexposed to get the interior brighter) with light shining through the windows? Or the fourth in which I've actually got the sun in the picture.

Maybe there are bad copies of this lens, but I wouldn't generalize. I've used it enough to vouch for its quality and in my experience complete absence of flare in all but the most extreme shooting situations.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif'

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

Canon 5D Mark IV, 24-105L II, 17 TS-E f/4L, MPE 65, Sigma 50 f/1.4, Sigma 85 f/1.4, 100 f/2.8L, 135 f/2L, 70-200 f/4L, 400 L

Invertalon
Cream of the Crop
6,495 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Feb 24, 2010 20:59 |  #9

I am just going by my experience... It comes from *strong* artificial light (in my shots). The sun caused no flare from what I have taken. And don't get me wrong, the lens is incredible, I love it... Just stating my observations with the lens.

It's not that serious, and it doesn't happen often. I am just saying, it is prone to it more then any other lens I have used. But I never did use an UWA before, so I can't compare between models/type. I would imagine it is much harder to control flare on UWA then any others.

Three examples form this past weekend with the lens (crops taken from various photos showing flare... note the huge blob of green in the window on the house shot... That room was completely dark when I took the photo!).

Note: And I am aware these are underexposed, not sharp, etc... These were roughly random "snapshots" taken in a hurry at various places. Just was testing out the lens everywhere.

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i258.photobucke​t.com …hh280/invertalo​n/f1-1.jpg (external link)

http://i258.photobucke​t.com …s/hh280/inverta​lon/f2.jpg (external link)

http://i258.photobucke​t.com …s/hh280/inverta​lon/f3.jpg (external link)

-Steve
Facebook (external link)
Flickr (external link)

mtran
THREAD ­ STARTER
64 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Feb 24, 2010 21:16 |  #10

IMAGE: http://img651.imageshack.us/img651/1503/img1733z.jpg

Here's an example of a shot I did at night time. In person those lights aren't really that bright at all. You can see the one light in the middle glowing brightly and causing the flares on the top.
This isn't the greatest shot, so it MAY be user error..

EXIF attached to the image. Lens used was a Mark II with the extra coatings.

GEAR Canon 7D | Canon 40D | Canon 430EX II | Canon 10-22 f3.5-4.5 | Sigma 18-50mm f2.8 EX DC Macro | Canon 50mm f1.8 II | Lowepro Flipside 400AW | Crumpler 6MDH | Slik Sprint Pro II GM Tripod

DrPablo
Goldmember
1,568 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Feb 24, 2010 21:22 |  #11

In medicine we often use the phrase "beware of the case report".

Individual experiences are not necessarily generalizable, especially when variability in technique and in quality assessment far outweighs variability in manufacturing and quality control.

Invertalon
Cream of the Crop
6,495 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Feb 24, 2010 21:23 |  #12

I was hoping the DX II would do a little better then that, but there was very limited information out there about its performance due to availability.

I will give it a try and see how it goes... Worse case, I look at the Sigma/Canon variants. But I still have hope :D

Thanks for the shot though!

-Steve
Facebook (external link)
Flickr (external link)

Invertalon
Cream of the Crop
6,495 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Feb 24, 2010 21:24 |  #13

DrPablo wrote in post #9677156 (external link)
In medicine we often use the phrase "beware of the case report".

Individual experiences are not necessarily generalizable, especially when variability in technique and in quality assessment far outweighs variability in manufacturing and quality control.

Very true, I agree.

Not trying to make it bigger than it is either... Just sharing experiences.

-Steve
Facebook (external link)
Flickr (external link)

mtran
THREAD ­ STARTER
64 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Feb 24, 2010 21:34 |  #14

My experiences won't be the same as others. It could just be an isolated case from what it seems. That wasn't the first time it happened either. But as stated earlier in the thread by Invertalon, artificial light has been causing the flares. Shooting in the sun I don't really have any issues at all. But once the sun starts going down, the issues become more apparent.

My reasoning behind upgrading to the Canon 10-22 is..
A) Wider angle (fell in love when using my brothers Nikon mount Sigma 10-20)
B) Better flare control (it is apparent in the shots I take)
Well, those are the only reasons I can think of right now. I lose the build quality of the Tokina though.

Also from what I recall, I don't think there was a filter on during any of my flare shots.

Invertalon
Cream of the Crop
6,495 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Feb 25, 2010 06:53 |  #15

Decided to cancel my DX II order... A little worried that flare wont be fixed for the $150 I would pay to get the new model. I had higher hopes, I guess.

I will just stick with my original until something else catches my eye... :D Like the sigma 8-16 coming out...

-Steve
Facebook (external link)
Flickr (external link)

sponsored links

2,666 views & 0 likes for this thread
Can't decide if I should keep my Tokina 12-24
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.