Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 24 Feb 2010 (Wednesday) 10:16
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Flashpoint 320M / 620M

Scooter650
750 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Feb 24, 2010 10:16 |  #1

http://www.adorama.com​/FP320M.html (external link)
http://www.adorama.com​/FP620M.html (external link)

I have seen these on Flickr Strobist, lots of talk about battery powered AC/DC lights starting to hit the market...good news for all of us. I like the AB's, but I don't like an 18lb:eek: battery to lug around. These look similar to the Interfit Stellar Extremes that are also AC/DC.

These look great, the Flashpoints have been getting good reviews due to their metal bodies, I know there are a lot of happy users out there. Specs say the light weighs 3 lbs, the battery is 1lb. Recycle time is 1.5 seconds on battery, .5 seconds on AC.

Anyone have any experience yet? Thinking I might try them.

Scott I S2Imagery (external link) I Flickr (external link) I Facebook (external link) I 5DII, Canon 85 f1.8, Canon 50mm f1.4

sponsored links
philodelphi
Goldmember
1,212 posts
Gallery: 50 photos
Joined May 2008

Mar 25, 2010 19:15 |  #2

I'm also interested in these.... anyone out there using them?

Sony DSC-RX100M2 α7R III / ILCE-7RM3 Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 IV | Voigtlander 65mm F2 Macro APO-Lanthar | Venus Optics Laowa 15mm f/4 Macro | Sony FE 24-240mm F3.5-6.3 OSS Sonnar T* FE 55mm F1.8 ZA FE 24mm f/1.4 GM | Samyang 35mm f/1.4 ED AS UMC | Canon MP-E 65mm f/2.8 1-5x Macro Photo EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM | Sigma 100-400mm f/5-6.3 DG OS HSM | Tokina Firin 20mm f/2 FE MF | Tamron 28-75mm F2.8 Di III RXD

raysabz
647 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Apr 07, 2011 19:59 |  #3

Just got a Flashpoint 620M recently with a trade with my 430exII here...Am happy with the results so far with the battery pack to shoot outdoors...

alphatango
340 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jan 2010

Apr 07, 2011 20:29 as a reply to  @ raysabz's post |  #4

I have the 320's with the battery pack. Very nice outfit for the price. They are fairly large strobes so they are still a pain to lug around, but the battery pack is very light and can be hung easily off of a stand.

Feedback
Tumblr (external link)
5∞px (external link)

dave63
Goldmember
1,269 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Apr 07, 2011 22:30 |  #5

These look to be re-branded Mettle units (or maybe Mettle is re-branded Flashpoint, but that's irrelevant); there was a dual-power monolight on eBay a couple months ago, but it's gone now... however, if they are the same units, then this (external link) might be a cheaper battery alternative than Adorama.

kfreels
Goldmember
4,297 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Jun 02, 2011 21:26 |  #6

I have a pair of 320Ms and I'm very happy with them. Internal fan for cooling, stepless power adjustment. The modeling light can be set to adjust with the flash power which is nice. Build is solid, AC/DC, and it appears to dump the flash when you turn it off. I haven't verified this, but it doesn't "test" once you turn it off. Comes with the sync cord, AC and DC cord so you don't need to buy a separate cable if you get the battery pack. Plastic covers snap on to protect the lamp and tube while in storage. You can turn the beeper off and on. Optical slave can be turned off and on. Handle on the back. I really can't think of anything they overlooked.

They seem pretty rugged. They are built solid but are a bit heavy. But I dropped one last week and it hasn't given me any trouble. (The protection cover was on when I did this.) So I'm a happy camper right now. Very good for a unit less than $100. They were just going to hold me over till I bought some ABs but I think I'm just going to stick with these and maybe buy a couple 620Ms as well.

I am serious....and don't call me Shirley.
Canon 7D and a bunch of other stuff

CalebG
298 posts
Joined May 2009

Jun 03, 2011 08:55 |  #7

I have a pair of the 320m's and have been extremely happy with them, my only gripe has been that they are only 150ws but then again they were only meant to tide me over until I could get the 620m's then they will become hairlights. They are much heavier and less compact than the AB's but they are metal vs plastic; and dont forget the audible recycle beep that the AB's are missing. For 99$ a better product cant be had. And the Mettle battery pack will work with the flashpoint lights but with the regular problems associated with some of the battery packs I would pay the extra money for Adorama's customer service in the event of a failure.

Caleb Garvin of Natural Images Photography
On Flickr  (external link)

Allen ­ K
219 posts
Joined May 2006

Jun 03, 2011 09:39 as a reply to  @ CalebG's post |  #8

I've been looking at Einsteins and Elins for weeks. I keep coming back to these Flashpoints. I can get a 620M two light kit with a 320M/Battery pack for under $700. I don't know where this is taking me but to start off with one Einstein or be a non-starter with the Elin (as I'd go with the 500Bri or the 600rx system) is limiting. I know the flashpoint system in good condition will still recoup a decent amount on the used market when I sell. It appears the I can use any softbox with their (FP) speedring and since an Elin Deep-Octo is out of my realm at the moment and spending another $250 for the CC with PCB isn't going to happen soon, I still am coming back to the FPs. I've shot portraits with speedlights and am looking for a little more power...I've also shot some sports Team photos outdoors (maybe a 1220M in the future). I've seen messages critical of the FPs color consistency, durability, and modifiers but I've seen no data to back it up. But I do consistently see messages from people that use FPs professionally, have positive things to say about the FPs and post some stellar work from using them.

Still looking but about ready to pull the trigger. (Especially, after reading that latest thread on the failure of other lights).

Allen - Gear List

Shjo
89 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Jun 03, 2011 10:13 |  #9

I have been running two 320M strobes for about a year now and more recently added the Vagabond Mini Lithium for power. So far everything has worked great for me and I plan on adding some more powerful flashpoint monolights to my arsenal soon. They also have a great selection of Visico modifiers which can be had for cheap but have done nothing but impress me for the quality.

IMAGE: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3093/5769858066_bce50c063c_z.jpg

Allen ­ K
219 posts
Joined May 2006

Jun 03, 2011 10:27 as a reply to  @ Shjo's post |  #10

Maybe someone should start a "Hey Flashpoint Users...Check In" thread. :rolleyes:

Allen - Gear List

Allen ­ K
219 posts
Joined May 2006

Jun 03, 2011 19:44 as a reply to  @ Allen K's post |  #11

I was looking at the Mettles on Ebay...with battery packs, they appear to be cheaper than the flashpoint brand and they take Bowen mounts.???

What to do?

Allen - Gear List

kfreels
Goldmember
4,297 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Jun 03, 2011 21:17 |  #12

Allen K wrote in post #12531927 (external link)
I was looking at the Mettles on Ebay...with battery packs, they appear to be cheaper than the flashpoint brand and they take Bowen mounts.???

What to do?

I'm looking at a photo of the Mettle on ebay and a photo of the Flashpoint on Adorama and I am pretty darned certain it's the same product. Certainly it's the same manufacturer. They are identical in every way I can tell on the outside. Can't be certain about the ring mount since I don't own any Bowens gear. I would do some more research to make sure, but if they indeed are, I would go with the cheaper ones knowing I could always get parts from Adorama.

I am serious....and don't call me Shirley.
Canon 7D and a bunch of other stuff

ShotByTom
Goldmember
3,042 posts
Gallery: 23 photos
Joined Aug 2005

Jun 03, 2011 21:18 |  #13

Shjo wrote in post #12528807 (external link)
I have been running two 320M strobes for about a year now and more recently added the Vagabond Mini Lithium for power. So far everything has worked great for me and I plan on adding some more powerful flashpoint monolights to my arsenal soon. They also have a great selection of Visico modifiers which can be had for cheap but have done nothing but impress me for the quality.

Just curious, why did you go with the vegabond mini vs the Flashpoint battery pack? $255 for the vegabond mini w/carrying back, vs $125 for the flashpoint (external link)

I want to get a 620m and the battery pack, but was curious if the vegabond is worth 2 times the price.

I would like to see a thread with photos using flashpoint products. They seem very affordable and have plenty of accessories..

Gear
Website (external link)

CalebG
298 posts
Joined May 2009

Jun 03, 2011 21:21 |  #14

as far as I know the flashpoints accept bowens mounts as well, although the 600ws with a batt pack for less than 300$ is a screaming deal. the only thing is the customer service if you encounter a problem, I'm not sure how OE Camera is in that dept.

Well it appears I may be wrong about the mounts, tried to find dimensions on the web with no luck so far, does anyone have a bowens speedring to measure? need inside diameter, outside diameter and lug spacing and thickness. I couldve swore someone told me the bowens would fit on the flashpoints but the flashpoints wouldnt fit the bowens. But then again I noticed the original flashpoints have a different mount than the newer version

Caleb Garvin of Natural Images Photography
On Flickr  (external link)

Allen ­ K
219 posts
Joined May 2006

Jun 04, 2011 00:07 as a reply to  @ CalebG's post |  #15

In doing a little research, it appears that the Mettles do have a Bowens Mount while the Flashpoints are manufactured with a propriatary mount.

If someone can find info disputing this, please correct me.

Allen - Gear List

sponsored links

15,392 views & 0 likes for this thread
Flashpoint 320M / 620M
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.