Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Forums  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear
Forums  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Digital Cameras 
Thread started 24 Feb 2010 (Wednesday) 14:00
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links (only for non-logged)

7D Battery question (Canon Vs AA's)

AP64
261 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Feb 24, 2010 14:00 |  #1

I just recently received my gripped 7D. Got about half way thru a basketball game last night, and the Canon battery had one bar left (this is also after shooting 3 games before this night). So I got out the clip with 6 rechargeable AA's in it, and swapped them out. The camera wouldn't run the high speed shutter, it was shooting the regular continuous. So I changed those batteries out with 6 AA throw away batteries. Same thing, no high speed shutter. So, I put the Canon battery back in it, high speed shutter worked again. Has anyone else had a problem with this issue, or am I in this boat by myself?

http://www.apactionpho​tography.com/ (external link)

Zenfolio Referral Code: HRA-HDZ-2VX

drumsfield
Goldmember
1,601 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Feb 24, 2010 15:04 |  #2

I know this doesn't answer your question, but it helps me with mine... another reason not get get the battery grip.

Canon 5D MkIII | Olympus OM-D | Olympus E-P2 | 16-35L MKII | 24-70L MKII | 70-200L MKII | 85L MKII | EF 50mm 1.4 | EF 100mm 2.8 | 100-400mm L MKII | 20mm 1.7
Feedback and Full gear list
Website (external link)

benesotor
Goldmember
1,827 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Feb 24, 2010 15:07 |  #3

drumsfield wrote in post #9674742 (external link)
I know this doesn't answer your question, but it helps me with mine... another reason not get get the battery grip.

You can still use canon batteries with a grip?

Anyway OP, I can't say for sure but I don't think there's a problem, the batteries probably aren't powerful enough. The LP-E6 is 7.2V whereas a standard AA is 1.5V

themadman
Cream of the Crop
18,871 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Feb 24, 2010 15:12 |  #4

AP64 wrote in post #9674247 (external link)
I just recently received my gripped 7D. Got about half way thru a basketball game last night, and the Canon battery had one bar left (this is also after shooting 3 games before this night). So I got out the clip with 6 rechargeable AA's in it, and swapped them out. The camera wouldn't run the high speed shutter, it was shooting the regular continuous. So I changed those batteries out with 6 AA throw away batteries. Same thing, no high speed shutter. So, I put the Canon battery back in it, high speed shutter worked again. Has anyone else had a problem with this issue, or am I in this boat by myself?

I don't have a 7D but I have a few ideas on what might be going on. What kind of AA's were you using? Alkaline? It is possible Alkalines have too much internal resistance so the camera cannot shoot it's max speed.

It is also possible that it is a voltage thing? I've noticed (between my two different Canon cameras) the batteries are 7.4 volts. I also noticed my AA battery trays hold 6 AA's. Assuming they are two parallel sets of 3 AA's in series, the AA voltage comes out to be 4.5 which is on the low side compared to the Canon battery, thus possible not giving enough juice again.

drumsfield wrote in post #9674742 (external link)

So you are saying it is better to not be able to pictures at all oppose to being able to take pictures and be limited?

Will | WilliamLiuPhotography.​com (external link) | Gear List and Feedback | CPS Member | Have you Pre-Ordered Your 3Dx Yet? | HorusBennu Discussion | In honor of Uncle Steve, thanks for everything! 10-5-2011

drumsfield
Goldmember
1,601 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Feb 24, 2010 15:21 |  #5

themadman wrote in post #9674806 (external link)
So you are saying it is better to not be able to pictures at all oppose to being able to take pictures and be limited?

No but it probably makes more sense to me to buy 3 extra Canon batteries instead of a $200 grip.

Canon 5D MkIII | Olympus OM-D | Olympus E-P2 | 16-35L MKII | 24-70L MKII | 70-200L MKII | 85L MKII | EF 50mm 1.4 | EF 100mm 2.8 | 100-400mm L MKII | 20mm 1.7
Website (external link)

themadman
Cream of the Crop
18,871 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Feb 24, 2010 15:24 |  #6

drumsfield wrote in post #9674871 (external link)
No but it probably makes more sense to me to buy 3 extra Canon batteries instead of a $200 grip.

1. The grip proves 2 batteries at once you you can shoot for a long time without having to worry about batteries.

2. It proves a world of different in terms of comfort and ergonomics when you shoot in the vertical orientation.

3. The AA battery tray is very helpful when you are traveling and need batteries unexpectedly.

The battery grip is more of a professional's tool IMO. Many home users may not find the extra bulk and cost worth the benefits. It also depends what you shoot. I find my indispensable, but you may not find it as useful.

Will | WilliamLiuPhotography.​com (external link) | Gear List and Feedback | CPS Member | Have you Pre-Ordered Your 3Dx Yet? | HorusBennu Discussion | In honor of Uncle Steve, thanks for everything! 10-5-2011

drumsfield
Goldmember
1,601 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Feb 24, 2010 15:27 |  #7

themadman wrote in post #9674893 (external link)
1. The grip proves 2 batteries at once you you can shoot for a long time without having to worry about batteries.

2. It proves a world of different in terms of comfort and ergonomics when you shoot in the vertical orientation.

3. The AA battery tray is very helpful when you are traveling and need batteries unexpectedly.

The battery grip is more of a professional's tool IMO. Many home users may not find the extra bulk and cost worth the benefits. It also depends what you shoot. I find my indispensable, but you may not find it as useful.

That's good to know..

Website (external link)

ShauningtoN
540 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Feb 24, 2010 15:28 |  #8

Since the 40D, Using AA Batteries limits the continuous AI-Servo burst rate of the camera to about 3FPS. It's a sort of power saving feature, as I believe continuous shooting to be very power intensive (perhaps why you can only do it at full speed on certain nikons with the right battery/booster pack). A 20D will happily rattle off 5FPS with AA Batteries.

I used AA's on my 50D once, and had the exact same problem. You'll notice, though, that in one-shot mode, you're able to achieve full 8FPS on the 7D and 6.3 on the 50D etc. Becauase when AI-Servo isn't enabled, the limit is removed.

Hope that sheds some light on it for you, and dont be deterred away from a battery grip. They are primarily to be used with canon battery packs. AA batteries are an option, but an emergency one at that.

A few bodies and lenses..

musicmaster
Saw the Light
853 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Feb 24, 2010 15:47 |  #9

One bar left? Keep shooting.

That one bar is worth about 300 pictures

Gripped 70D, Sigma F/2.8 OS, 70-200L F/2.8, 300L F/4 IS, EOS M5, 18-150, 22 2.0

dafriz
96 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Feb 24, 2010 15:48 |  #10

In addition to what's mentioned above, I believe that bodies will not allow you to enable the sensor cleaning mode when using AA batteries (and also when the Li-Ion batteries have a low charge).

7D w/ grip, 10-22, 24-105, 100-400, 50/1.8 II, 430EX II -- (40D w/ grip, XT, 18-55, 28-135, 55-200)

AP64
THREAD ­ STARTER
261 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Feb 24, 2010 17:41 |  #11

Sounds like I just need a spare Canon battery or 2, thanks guys.

http://www.apactionpho​tography.com/ (external link)

Zenfolio Referral Code: HRA-HDZ-2VX

jwcdds
Cream of the Crop
15,594 posts
Gallery: 1851 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined Aug 2004

Feb 24, 2010 18:11 |  #12

Well, if you're shooting as a hobby, then I can sort of understand the reluctance of having spare batteries. But if you're shooting for pay (or the hope of people buying your photos), wouldn't it be wiser simply to have spares?

That or charge the battery overnight. :D

I'm gripped with 2 batteries and I always carry with me 2 spares. If I somehow drain all 4 batteries in a couple of days of shooting, then I need to take my finger off the shutter button. As you rummage through your hundreds (or even thousands) of photos, processing them on the computer and uploading them to your site, it sounds like the perfect time to recharge the battery.

Julian
Gear/Feedbacks | SmugMug (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Blog (external link) | Instagram (external link) | YouTube (external link)
My Reviews | "The Mighty One" (external link) | "EF 85mm f/1.4 L IS Review" (external link)
Founding member and President of the BOGUS Photo Club (Blatantly-Over-Geared & Under-Skilled)

themadman
Cream of the Crop
18,871 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Feb 24, 2010 18:18 |  #13

jwcdds wrote in post #9675926 (external link)
Well, if you're shooting as a hobby, then I can sort of understand the reluctance of having spare batteries. But if you're shooting for pay (or the hope of people buying your photos), wouldn't it be wiser simply to have spares?

That or charge the battery overnight. :D

I'm gripped with 2 batteries and I always carry with me 2 spares. If I somehow drain all 4 batteries in a couple of days of shooting, then I need to take my finger off the shutter button. As you rummage through your hundreds (or even thousands) of photos, processing them on the computer and uploading them to your site, it sounds like the perfect time to recharge the battery.

Heh, ditto. I have a set of 4 batteries for both my cameras. This way I will never run out!!

dovaka
398 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Feb 24, 2010 19:07 |  #14

the AA holder really is a last resort backup that will get you threw until you can get real batteries again

i own way to much crap to list it all here and try to keep it up to date

cristphoto
Goldmember
1,052 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Feb 24, 2010 20:06 |  #15

I had a 20D and a 5D - both with the accessory grips. I tried the nimh rechargeables in both grips. Basically it was a waste of time. After about 50 shots on fully charged good batteries the camera would stop. I read my owners manual that came with the grips and Canon even says AA battery life is short and is to be considered for emergency use only. The grip it still a good idea as you can put in 2 lithium ion batteries for extended shooting. Plus when shooting in portrait mode the controls are in the proper location.

1DX MK II, 5D MKIV x2, 24L II, 35L II, 50L, 85LIS, 100LIS Macro, 135L, 16-35LIS, 24-105LIS II, 70-200LIS, 100-400LIS II

sponsored links (only for non-logged)

3,156 views & 0 likes for this thread.
7D Battery question (Canon Vs AA's)
FORUMS Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Forums   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset   •  Home

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.