Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Astronomy & Celestial 
Thread started 24 Feb 2010 (Wednesday) 17:58
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Mars

DonR
262 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Feb 24, 2010 17:58 |  #1

Well, it looks like this will be my best shot of Mars for at least the next two years. It's really small now, but I had pretty good conditions for imaging it.

Taken a few nights ago with a webcam, using an 8" Newtonian reflector at f/10 (2000mm focal length). At least it's recognizable.

Don

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

sponsored links
NovaTJ
552 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Feb 24, 2010 19:17 |  #2

Fantastic! I tried about a week ago when it cleared up after a big snowfall, and couldn't come close to what you have here. All my images had no detail...you have the polar cap and various shading of the ground in a webcam image. How many frames did you shoot that night?

Greg

Astro-Tech 8" f/4 imaging Newtonian,Baader MPCC,Orion ED 80 APO F7.5,Skywatcher EQ-6 Pro,ASGT, Modified Canon 50D, Meade DSI Guide Camera, 8" SCT dovetail mounted relic, Criterion Dynascope RV-6, modified 300D, custom astro shed,and still just getting started!

DonR
THREAD ­ STARTER
262 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Feb 24, 2010 19:46 as a reply to  @ NovaTJ's post |  #3

Thanks, NovaTJ. The seeing was very good that night, one of the best nights for planetary imaging I've encountered when I was prepared for the task. I shot about 30,000 frames, and his image was created from a sequence of 1200 frames at 10 frames per second. I stacked about the best 150 frames from that sequence using Registax.

buaku
24 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Feb 24, 2010 22:35 |  #4

That's really nice! I like how you can see the polar cap on it.

Adrena1in
Goldmember
1,703 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Feb 25, 2010 02:34 |  #5

That's very good. I've been able to view Mars with that sort of clarity, and at up to around 6000 or 7000mm I've seen it appear two or three times bigger than in your photo...but I've yet to get a decent image of it. My only attempt is far more blurred and soft than yours. Let's hope we get some more clear nights soon, with good seeing, so I can test out my new filters.

Canon EOS 450D, Sigma 18-200mm, Canon 50mm f/2.5 Macro, 2x TC, Revelation 12" f/5 Dobsonian, Mintron PD2285-EX webcam.

A.S.I.G.N. ­ Observatory
...For the future of mankind
2,637 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Aug 2008

Feb 25, 2010 06:23 |  #6

Recognisable!!!??? It's also EXCELLENT!

Baz.

Builds By Baz website http://www.buildsbybaz​.com (external link)

Celestron
Cream of the Crop
8,636 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2007

Feb 25, 2010 07:53 |  #7

You did a great job ! I see both polar caps . I haven't even seen Mars yet this year in the scope . Guess i'm getting ready to maybe retire it .

DonR
THREAD ­ STARTER
262 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Feb 25, 2010 12:28 |  #8

Thanks, all!

The video that was used to create this image was acquired on a night with very favorable atmospheric conditions. Seeing was very good, I would call it 4 out of a maximum of 5, and I can't take credit for that. I can take credit for having spent many hours imaging the planets with my telescopes and webcam, so when these great atmospheric conditions presented, I was able to take advantage of them. I had long since worked out all the mechanical details - collimation, focus, acquistion parameters, etc., so setting up and getting started that night was a simple, predictable excercise. But as I acquired the first video I could tell it was not like other nights. As the video steamed in from the webcam I could easily make out the northern polar cap and varied surface brightness, which I had seen through the eyepiece but never before in my webcam videos of Mars.

I appreciate the kind comments and I am pleased with this image. I encourage everyone who has an interest in planetary imaging to get out and do it, so you will be ready when the time is right. Mars is receding now, but will be positioned favorably for a few more weeks, and Saturn is approaching its opposition on March 21. Though Saturn's ring tilt angle is low now and still decreasing, it is nevertheless a great subject with an unbeatable WOW factor!

Thanks,

Don

sponsored links

1,478 views & 0 likes for this thread
Mars
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Astronomy & Celestial 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.