Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 25 Feb 2010 (Thursday) 14:13
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Use for angle finder?

AlexeyK
34 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Feb 25, 2010 14:13 |  #1

Hey guys!

I've seen a lot of angle finders online, but I could never get the point?
Is it simply a lower point of view, or is there any other uses for it?

If any of you have one, in what situations do you use it?

Thanks, probably a dumb question but maybe it'll open my eyes and I actually totally need one..=)

sponsored links
FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007

Feb 25, 2010 14:14 |  #2

You must be young enough that a long day of low angle shooting doesn't make your knees creak... :lol:

Jay
Crosswind Images (external link)
Facebook Fan Page (external link)

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

AlexeyK
THREAD ­ STARTER
34 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Feb 25, 2010 14:17 |  #3

Haha! Well, I'm 20 so no neck problems just yet, but the back on the other hand is a totally different story..! :D
But isn't it even worse with the angle finder? you have to shoot with your neck at a 90 degree angle all the time..

Savas ­ K
Goldmember
1,425 posts
Joined May 2007

Feb 25, 2010 14:53 |  #4

If the camera is down low, the Angle Finder comes in handy. If the body is on a tripod and you are shooting upward, again, it comes in handy. Live view on current Canon bodies help eliminate its need.

krb
Cream of the Crop
8,818 posts
Joined Jun 2008
Location: Where southern efficiency and northern charm come together

Feb 25, 2010 15:06 |  #5

AlexeyK wrote in post #9681636 (external link)
Haha! Well, I'm 20 so no neck problems just yet, but the back on the other hand is a totally different story..! :D
But isn't it even worse with the angle finder? you have to shoot with your neck at a 90 degree angle all the time..

Try this. Set your camera on the floor and try looking through the viewfinder. You'll probably find that the most comfortable way of doing this is to lay flat on the floor and crane your neck a little to see. Now imagine that your taking a macro shot of a flower out in a field. That has been full of cows for a long time. Wouldn't you rather have an angle finder so you only have to get down on your hands and knees with your face over the camera?

FWIW, since getting a camera with LiveView I haven't found any need for an angle finder.

-- Ken
Comment and critique is always appreciated!
Flickr (external link)
Gear list

Madweasel
Cream of the Crop
6,224 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Feb 26, 2010 17:24 |  #6

I have an old Yashica one that fits the Canon viewfinder. I don't use it often, as others have said, Liveview can reduce the times it's needed. But one time it was essential was in getting a "worm's eye view", looking up at some flowers. Then the back of the body is practically on the floor and you can't get to either the viewfinder or the rear screen.

Mark.

lancemoreland
165 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Feb 26, 2010 22:32 |  #7

An angle finder also magnifies the focus screen allowing for a more precise manual focus.

Lance
www.lancemoreland.com (external link)

Madweasel
Cream of the Crop
6,224 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Feb 27, 2010 06:22 |  #8

lancemoreland wrote in post #9691675 (external link)
An angle finder also magnifies the focus screen allowing for a more precise manual focus.

The Canon one does - old ones like mine leave you with quite a small image.

Mark.

darosk
Goldmember
2,806 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Feb 27, 2010 06:26 |  #9

Flower photography. Especially if you own a nursery and are in the habit of methodically documenting every single plant you own.

Tumblr (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Youtube (external link)
Gear

RPCrowe
Cream of the Crop
8,290 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Feb 27, 2010 09:44 as a reply to  @ darosk's post |  #10

I have modified a SLIK Pro 330DX into a great travel tripod by substituting a shorter center column and a Flashpoint F-1 Magnesium Arca Compatible Ball head for the heavy clumsy stock canter column and pan/tilt head.

This makes a wonderful 2.5 pound travel tripod which can support my 40D camera and 70-200mm f/4L IS lens.

The only problem with this rig is that it is pretty short and I don't raise the center column for the sake of stability. (see image of tripod extended fully withot right angle finder) It is fairly workable if I am shooting straight-on but, quite difficult to use if I want to shoot with the camera tilted upwards.

The right angle finder is great for shooting up and makes almost any shooting a bit easier on my back. Of course, I am an old geezer also and that might explain my need for the right angle finder.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

See my images at http://rpcrowe.smugmug​.com/ (external link)

Sledhed
Goldmember
2,510 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Feb 27, 2010 12:01 |  #11

They're handy when setting up remote cameras for sports photography.

Chris
Gear List | Website (external link) | Sports Sample Pictures (external link) | Four Seam Images (external link)

If you’re good at something, never do it for free. - The Joker

AlexeyK
THREAD ­ STARTER
34 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Feb 27, 2010 13:02 |  #12

I see now!
Thanks guys, I've been kind of wondering about it for a while.. about the canon one magnifying the finder sounds pretty awesome, maybe I'll get one just for that..!

Can see Madweasel's and Darosk's points about flower photo, and about low tripods..ah, hate tripods..

RodentOfUnusualSize
72 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Feb 27, 2010 13:45 as a reply to  @ AlexeyK's post |  #13

Wow, this is something I could probably find very useful :-)

Just one more question: do you guys keep this on camera all the time or do you take off the rubber viewfinder protector and attach the angle finder before every shoot?

krb
Cream of the Crop
8,818 posts
Joined Jun 2008
Location: Where southern efficiency and northern charm come together

Feb 27, 2010 15:12 |  #14

def. take it off when not using it because I wouldn't want it or the camera viewfinder to be damaged if it takes a hit.

-- Ken
Comment and critique is always appreciated!
Flickr (external link)
Gear list

RPCrowe
Cream of the Crop
8,290 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Feb 27, 2010 19:27 as a reply to  @ krb's post |  #15

I also remove it when I am not actually using it and carry it in its own little case in a pocket of my photo vest. Note: my viewfinder is not a magnifier type and I have no problem with that at all. However, if I were to purchase one now, I would probably get one that magnifies.

See my images at http://rpcrowe.smugmug​.com/ (external link)

sponsored links

3,058 views & 0 likes for this thread
Use for angle finder?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.