Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 26 Feb 2010 (Friday) 18:52
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

RAW mRAW sRAW 7D, what do you use?

Livinthalife
Cream of the Crop
5,118 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Feb 26, 2010 18:52 |  #1

I just upgraded to the 7D and I am noticing the RAW files are enormous! Loading them from the card, even previewing on my computer has become time consuming. I want to use the smaller raw files, but then I feel I'm not taking full advantage. I had a 30D before, and the 8mp I found to be just the right amount of res. the mRAW is about 10mp on the 7D. I was thinking of using that. I guess my question is, am I gonna miss anything (haven't missed anything in the past)? not using the standard RAW and say, just using the mRAW?

What do you all use, and please explain. Thanks.

-Andy-

sponsored links
krb
Cream of the Crop
8,818 posts
Joined Jun 2008
Location: Where southern efficiency and northern charm come together

Feb 26, 2010 19:02 |  #2

Extra hard drives are cheap so I see no reason to throw away most of my image data just to avoid upgrading my PC.

Just my opinion, of course.

-- Ken
Comment and critique is always appreciated!
Flickr (external link)
Gear list

Chris215
516 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Feb 26, 2010 19:26 |  #3

I currently use mRaw not because of HD space but CF space.

Canon 7D
Tamron 17-50mm 2.8, Sigma 30mm 1.4, Sigma 70-200 2.8 OS
Canon 430EX II

ShauningtoN
540 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Feb 26, 2010 19:51 |  #4

I use mRaw because the files are a nice size to work with. 18MP is far too much for what I need, I'm happy with 8MP of the 1D2n/20D.

That said, if I'm on an important assignment that will require HQ printing, I would probably use full raw.

A few bodies and lenses..

cedm
629 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Feb 2008

Feb 26, 2010 20:35 |  #5

krb wrote in post #9690365 (external link)
Extra hard drives are cheap so I see no reason to throw away most of my image data just to avoid upgrading my PC.

Just my opinion, of course.

You also need a more powerful CPU and much more RAM to process these huge raw files. HDD/CF space is only the tip of the iceberg.

I think the OP question is more related to the quality of processed mRAW photos vs processed & down-sized RAW ones. Is the difference in quality noticeable at all?

My gear: EOS 60D | EF-S 10-18 STM | Tamron 17-50 F/2.8 | EF-S 24 STM | EF 50 F/1.8 | EF-S 55-250 IS | EF 100 F/2.8 macro | 430EX.

mrgooch
Goldmember
3,193 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Dec 2008

Feb 26, 2010 21:21 as a reply to  @ cedm's post |  #6

Use RAW.After processing you can change them into JPG's to reduce their size.

catacon
351 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Feb 26, 2010 21:46 |  #7

I think most computers nowadays can handle "big" RAW files. That point is kinda moot.

I use RAW, just because I like having a completely "blank slate" when I put a picture on my computer. I don't like the camera doing anything to my pictures. I want the raw picture.

5DmkII | Gripped 5DC | Canon 17-40mm f/4L | Σ 85 f/1.4 | Σ 50 f/1.4 | 430EX II

No power in this verse can stop me!

Scout7id
Goldmember
1,617 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2007

Feb 26, 2010 21:50 |  #8

catacon wrote in post #9691406 (external link)
I think most computers nowadays can handle "big" RAW files. That point is kinda moot.

I use RAW, just because I like having a completely "blank slate" when I put a picture on my computer. I don't like the camera doing anything to my pictures. I want the raw picture.

catacon for the win! Couldn't have said it any better.

-- Don Fuller --
I am a veteran. At seventeen I wrote a blank check payable to the "United States of America" for an amount up to and including my life.

krb
Cream of the Crop
8,818 posts
Joined Jun 2008
Location: Where southern efficiency and northern charm come together

Feb 26, 2010 22:12 |  #9

cedm wrote in post #9690928 (external link)
You also need a more powerful CPU and much more RAM to process these huge raw files. HDD/CF space is only the tip of the iceberg.

I guess that depends on what you consider 'powerful' I'm still using the machine I built several years ago and it works fine. It's a dual core 64 bit processor from when dual core and 64bit were new and exotic. 2GB of RAM and Windows XP. Takes a little longer to process teh 7D files than it did the 40D files but it's not that much more to deal with. 5 shot HDRs in Photomatix from 18MP TIFF files take less time to process than it take me to get to the kitchen and back with a fresh cup of coffee.

I think the OP question is more related to the quality of processed mRAW photos vs processed & down-sized RAW ones. Is the difference in quality noticeable at all?

You're talking about the difference between an 18MP file and a 10MP file. There's a big difference in resolution, as any of the existing "40D vs 7D" threads demonstrate. And that's not even looking into what the camera is actually doing to convert the RAW file into the reduced pseudo-RAW file.

-- Ken
Comment and critique is always appreciated!
Flickr (external link)
Gear list

e02937
Goldmember
2,714 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Feb 26, 2010 22:19 |  #10

RAW all day long...

Canon 7d
[15-85 IS] [70-200
f/4L IS] [I'm a PC]
[Full gear list and feedback]

Kineyas
62 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Feb 26, 2010 22:20 |  #11

I made a mistake of using mRAW once... I rely on Lightroom 99% for my personal work and it gives me an error when I try to load mRAW. I've been using RAW files since then... and all my 16gb CF cards.

Kineyas Photography (external link)

That_Fox
"In the Witless Protection Program"
1,386 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Feb 26, 2010 22:22 |  #12

I use the full 18MP RAW, it's a bit slow on my computer but the IQ is worth it.

Apparently I've been dubbed Foxy.
Alamy (external link), website (external link) and gear

toxic
Goldmember
3,498 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Feb 26, 2010 22:29 |  #13

Livinthalife wrote in post #9690305 (external link)
I guess my question is, am I gonna miss anything (haven't missed anything in the past)? not using the standard RAW and say, just using the mRAW?

Yes, some fine detail will be lost. Up to you how important that fine detail is.

Livinthalife
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
5,118 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Feb 26, 2010 22:36 |  #14

I guess I wil have to go a day shooting mRAW and see if I miss anything then. :/

-Andy-

Jason ­ C
do I need to submit a resume...?
4,828 posts
Gallery: 139 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Dec 2007

Feb 27, 2010 01:18 |  #15

Livinthalife wrote in post #9691692 (external link)
I guess I wil have to go a day shooting mRAW and see if I miss anything then. :/

Why not try a side-by-side comparison. If the composition allows, shoot a mRAW first, then change back to RAW and take the capture again. May be a little time consuming, but you'll have the proof in your hands.

Jason C

Equipment & Feedback
"I am not interested in shooting new things-I am interested to see things new"--Ernst Haas

sponsored links

9,452 views & 0 likes for this thread
RAW mRAW sRAW 7D, what do you use?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.