Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 27 Feb 2010 (Saturday) 09:40
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

New Markins Ballheads with lever clamps

jhom
Goldmember
1,320 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Feb 27, 2010 09:40 |  #1

It appears that Markins are now producing ballheads with a lever clamp. The lever clamp has some interesting new features.

Q3:
http://www.markinsamer​ica.com ….php?req=Q3ELK#​Highlights (external link)

M10:
http://www.markinsamer​ica.com/MA5/M10.php?re​q=M10LK (external link)

M20:
http://www.markinsamer​ica.com/MA5/M20.php?re​q=M20LK (external link)

Jim

My Gear

sponsored links
bohdank
Cream of the Crop
14,060 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Feb 27, 2010 10:02 |  #2

Ya, just after I bought and installed a RRS clamp ;-)a

It was inevitable that Markins would come out with a lever clamp. They must have noticed how much business they were losing to RRS (clamps and plates)

Bohdan - I may be, and probably am, completely wrong.
Gear List

Montreal Concert, Event and Portrait Photographer (external link)
Flickr (external link)

Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Feb 27, 2010 10:05 |  #3

I think the throw lever on the RRS clamp looks "safer"; the way Markins are showing the clamped/unclamped positions of the lever, it'll be easier to open accidentally than the RRS. If you're going to flip the lever to work the other way, you'll gain back a measure of security, but I think they tossed in the "either handed" feature without thinking it through.

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities
Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE

Lowner
"I'm the original idiot"
12,924 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Feb 27, 2010 10:08 as a reply to  @ bohdank's post |  #4

I like the adjustable screw and the reversable lever.

Does not have that indefinable RRS "quality" but being Markins will be a workmanlike product built to last, with the added bonus that we know it will work with Markins plates.

Richard

http://rcb4344.zenfoli​o.com (external link)

sabesh
678 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Feb 27, 2010 13:53 |  #5

jhom wrote in post #9693882 (external link)
It appears that Markins are now producing ballheads with a lever clamp. The lever clamp has some interesting new features

Very cool. I'm hoping that they will sell the clamps separately.

Sony A7R-II | 16-35FE | 24-70FE | 28FE | 55FE | 70-200FE ~FlickR (external link)

SL888
59 posts
Joined May 2008

Feb 27, 2010 21:27 |  #6

Did they always have the L plates? Hmmm none for my 7D
Just noticed that the spirit level is within the clamping channel....odd place to have it

ben_r_
-POTN's Three legged Support-
15,894 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Feb 27, 2010 21:42 |  #7

Well good for them. Ill still stick with my RRS one though. I like tried and true. Give Markins time to prove themselves in the lever clamp arena.

[Gear List | Flickr (external link) | My Reviews] /|\ Tripod Leg Protection (external link) /|\
GIVE a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. TEACH a man to fish and he'll eat for a lifetime.

Mike ­ K
Goldmember
1,637 posts
Joined Apr 2001

Feb 28, 2010 00:55 |  #8

I like that they have the index marks on the top of the clamp, I really find that useful for (counter) shift panos with a TSE lens. The R/L lever flip is neat and my be useful when with some lens plats the camera body can get too close to the clamp. Will the screw adjusting the tension loosen through many cycles of open/closeing? One of us will eventually find out! I guess the spirit level is designed to level the clamp before putting the camera in it. Then you adjust the composition and can no longer see the level?
One feature I don't like is that the lever cam seems pretty circular, there does't seem to be any intermediate, half open position as with RRS. In the half open position on RRS, the camera or lens plate can slide in the clamp and adjust its position, while it is still securely held from sliding out (presumably the lens plates have stops). This adjustment feature is useful for the shift panos as mentioned above.
Mike K

Canon 6D, 1DmkII, IR modified 5DII with lots of Canon L, TSE and Zeiss ZE lenses

tomevision
114 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Feb 28, 2010 01:57 |  #9

I might consider this Markins lever because I have a Markins plate. If I were to get a RRS lever I would also have to get a Wimberley plate!

Canon 5D Mark III | Canon 1Ds Mark II | 16-35L II | 24-70L | 70-200L f/2.8 IS | 4-580EX II | Gitzo GT2540 | Markins Q3/TB-20/PG-50 |

hfoto
106 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Feb 28, 2010 13:21 |  #10

wow nice! did anyone else notice the L plates also?

ed ­ rader
"I am not the final word"
23,324 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined May 2005

Feb 28, 2010 13:55 as a reply to  @ hfoto's post |  #11

about time. i guess markins got the memo that everyone was swapping out their QRs for the competition's flip levers :D.

ed rader

http://instagram.com/e​draderphotography/ (external link)
5D4, 80d, 16-35L F4 IS, 24-70L II, 70-200L F4 IS II, 100-400L II, sigma 15 FE, sigma 14 f1.8 art, tc 1.4 III, 430exII, gitzo 3542L + markins Q20, gitzo GT 1545T + markins Q3T, gitzo GM4562

sabesh
678 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Feb 28, 2010 15:18 |  #12

starkido wrote in post #9700794 (external link)
wow nice! did anyone else notice the L plates also?

Thx! Just looked it up:

http://www.markinsamer​ica.com/MA5/LC520.php (external link)

Might get one.

Cheers,

Sabesh.

Sony A7R-II | 16-35FE | 24-70FE | 28FE | 55FE | 70-200FE ~FlickR (external link)

tvphotog
Cream of the Crop
6,093 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2007

Feb 28, 2010 19:15 |  #13

Good for them. About time. However, let's wait for the time will tells.

Jay
Ireland in Word and Image (external link) Jay Ben Images (external link)5D IV | 5DS/R | Powershot S100 | 24-105L | 100-400 IIL | 16-35 f/2.8 IIL | 24 T/S f /3.5L II | 17 T/S f/4L | 50mm f/1.2L | 35mm f/1.4L | 70-200 f/2.8L II | 580 EX II | 600 EX-RT | Feisol 3441T/Markins Q3T lever QR | Gitzo 3542L Markins Qi20 BV-22 | Gitzo 5561T RRS MH-02

squaresnappr
278 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Feb 28, 2010 19:45 |  #14

I like the feature of the plate being Left right convertible. I grip the camera in my right hand and close the lever with my left thumb. This is probably just me but it feels uncomfortable closing the lever to the right, I think I would prefer closing the lever to the left.

IMO, manfrotto has the best lever system, too bad my 486RC2 droops.

I see the laser markings on the clamp and I presume the markins L plate has laser markings like the RRS one does.

My Gear
http://www.solofotogra​phy.com (external link)
http://www.modelmayhem​.com/1896508 (external link)

RandyS
Goldmember
1,046 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Feb 28, 2010 20:08 |  #15

It looks like they only sell the Q3 with a lever clamp. While I'm sure others love them, I have a mix of plates on my bodies/lenses. While it doesn't make the Markin's ball unusable for me, it does drive the cost up in having to standardize on one plate mfgr. or another.

The price increase may take them off of some folks short list. I wonder why they don't list the screw clamp any longer. Or am I just not finding it?

sponsored links

14,705 views & 0 likes for this thread
New Markins Ballheads with lever clamps
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.