Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 28 Feb 2010 (Sunday) 01:30
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Team me stuff, O flash masters

00dahc
466 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Feb 28, 2010 01:30 |  #1

I have (4) AS-201 strobes and I am having what I hope is a simple problem.

Here is my setup for my test:

Canon 7D
Canon 430EX
(1) AS-201 connected by PC Sync
(1) AS-201 triggered by optical sensor on unit

I cannot get the Britek's to sync fire with my camera if I have my 430EX firing from my cameras hotshoe. Once I take off the speedlight and trigger them with the PC Sync cord to one of them, they both sync up fine with my camera.

Also will not work with the on-board flash.

I also tried this on my 40D and have the same issue so I'm betting it's not the camera?

Tried shutter speeds from 1/60 to 1/250 with the 430EX firing 1st and 2nd curtain sync.

Any suggestions or tips would be GREATLY appreciated.

Canon 7D | 70-200 f/4L IS | 50 f/1.8 II | Sigma 30 EX f/1.4 | Sigma 50 EX f/2.8 Macro | Tokina 12-24 f/4 | 430EX

sponsored links
SkipD
Cream of the Crop
20,476 posts
Joined Dec 2002

Feb 28, 2010 05:16 |  #2

The problem is that you are using the Canon flash units in ETTL mode, and they are emitting a pre-flash (for the purpose of calculating necessary flash output for proper exposure) which is triggering your strobes' optical slaves too early.

If you put both the camera AND 430EX into manual exposure modes, then you can use the 430EX to trigger the optical slaves on the strobes. You can never use the pop-up flash to trigger the optical slaves (without doing some goofy work-around procedures that I cannot describe), as there is no manual setting for the pop-up flash.

Skip Douglas
A few cameras and over 50 years behind them .....
..... but still learning all the time.

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
30,281 posts
Gallery: 301 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2006

Feb 28, 2010 06:11 |  #3

Skip nailed it.

PacAce
Cream of the Crop
26,899 posts
Joined Feb 2003

Feb 28, 2010 09:04 |  #4

SkipD wrote in post #9698899 (external link)
The problem is that you are using the Canon flash units in ETTL mode, and they are emitting a pre-flash (for the purpose of calculating necessary flash output for proper exposure) which is triggering your strobes' optical slaves too early.

If you put both the camera AND 430EX into manual exposure modes, then you can use the 430EX to trigger the optical slaves on the strobes. You can never use the pop-up flash to trigger the optical slaves (without doing some goofy work-around procedures that I cannot describe), as there is no manual setting for the pop-up flash.

True for just about all EOS DSLR cameras except the 7D which does have manual capability with the built-in flash.

...Leo

00dahc
THREAD ­ STARTER
466 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Feb 28, 2010 18:51 |  #5

PacAce wrote in post #9699535 (external link)
True for just about all EOS DSLR cameras except the 7D which does have manual capability with the built-in flash.

Yep. I played with that feature too. Didn't play enough to make it work though :p

Thanks guys.

Appreciate the writeup Skip. I'll try it out soon and report back.

Canon 7D | 70-200 f/4L IS | 50 f/1.8 II | Sigma 30 EX f/1.4 | Sigma 50 EX f/2.8 Macro | Tokina 12-24 f/4 | 430EX

00dahc
THREAD ­ STARTER
466 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Feb 28, 2010 19:35 |  #6

Well, not much to report other than that you are correct. :)

Working great. Thanks again.

sponsored links

968 views & 0 likes for this thread
Team me stuff, O flash masters
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.