Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Motorsports 
Thread started 28 Feb 2010 (Sunday) 16:51
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Motocross-My first shots?

Twhit.
THREAD ­ STARTER
695 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Mar 03, 2010 16:20 as a reply to  @ post 9721457 |  #16

Two more ,little better focus I think! Nifty fifty.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

Canon 50D and a bag full of stuff!

sponsored links
Twhit.
THREAD ­ STARTER
695 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Mar 03, 2010 16:22 |  #17

jimken61 wrote in post #9721457 (external link)
I prefer to shot MX in TV mode. Setting the shutter to about 1/320th or 1/400th is fast enough to freeze the action but you still get some background and tire motion blur. Aslo this shutter speed will stop the action pretty good if you have a bike approaching directly towards you.

QUOTED IMAGE

Nice , he destroyed that berm!!!

FMX
612 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Mar 03, 2010 17:13 |  #18

Thats a killer shot! Can't wait to get some outdoor shots myself!

OldNick
282 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Feb 2008

Mar 03, 2010 18:26 as a reply to  @ post 9702547 |  #19

Pity about that because otherwise it's a damn fine shot.

My take here would be to use MF and pre-focus using the ground. However you have to be very careful about taking the shot at the right time then. Very easy to just wait that fraction and the guy has moved in and you are OOF again. You can try shutting down a stop or two to give you some leeway, even if you have to go up on ISO. but then you start to have trouble with sharp backgrounds ...sigh

With the other shot, I like the angle, But there would have been no harm in getting rid of the dead grass stalks in front. Just something to think about and easily fixed.

I am assuming that 40 deg is F? Both shots look cold with that harsh cloudy light.

Nick
CnC OK with me
but don't expect me to agree:cool:

OldNick
282 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Mar 03, 2010 18:34 as a reply to  @ OldNick's post |  #20

Just want to add that for first efforts, they are not bad tries. You have a rotten day to work with.

Nick
CnC OK with me

Twhit.
THREAD ­ STARTER
695 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Mar 03, 2010 19:46 as a reply to  @ OldNick's post |  #21

Two more same day , same cloudy cold day.

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

FMX
612 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Mar 03, 2010 22:38 |  #22

Definitely like that last one the best... focus looks pretty decent and its an interesting shot.

OldNick
282 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Mar 03, 2010 22:58 as a reply to  @ FMX's post |  #23

Nice berm shot. The rider's attire stands out nicely in this shot.

Can you try to get further from trees etc? This one is great; the rider stands out really nicely due to good light and a nice dark background., but the others are a bit "busy". If you can get the ratio between the you-rider distanc e and the rider-tree distance, you get more blur.

Getting a bit of pan blur into that previous jump shot! Good stuff! Just remember as you get slower and more pan, to follow through on the pan DAMHIKT but it is very easy to pause as you press the shutter, or simply stop panning. Try to work out a way to force a smooth pan/track right through the entire sequence. As I say DAMHIKT. :rolleyes:

Nick
CnC OK with me

Twhit.
THREAD ­ STARTER
695 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Mar 04, 2010 15:10 as a reply to  @ OldNick's post |  #24

Thanks for the info , hopefully the next set of pics. we be myself thru the berm or over a double.And another rookie on the camera end!

Twhit.
THREAD ­ STARTER
695 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Mar 07, 2010 18:47 as a reply to  @ Twhit.'s post |  #25

One week later , used the kit lens this time 28-135.Much better light , clear skys.Only problem was the dust.
First Pic. I took.Second pic. I gave my Camera to my buddie to take a shot of me.

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

Twhit.
THREAD ­ STARTER
695 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Mar 07, 2010 19:01 as a reply to  @ Twhit.'s post |  #26

How much sharper will the images be when I take delivery of Cannon70-200 2,8 IS?

motofan
299 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Mar 07, 2010 19:33 |  #27

not sure about your lens, as I've never used it, but from my kit 70-300 to my 70-200 F2.8 IS. Lets just say that the 70-200 on my XT made me happy. On the 40D is awesome. I run mine gripped, and it only takes a race or 2 to get used to the weight. Not sure how close you get to the bikes, but i've had a good UV filter on since day one and glad i have it every time i go to the track. I only take it off to put on my CP filter, or to run filterless at light when taking pics of the moon, or farm field work (random i know). I did notice some of the lights reflecting on the front element when I had the filter on at Indy, but there was no way I was taking it off with how dusty it was.

OldNick
282 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Mar 07, 2010 20:17 |  #28

Twhit. wrote in post #9748496 (external link)
How much sharper will the images be when I take delivery of Cannon70-200 2,8 IS?

Those images look PDG anyway! The kit lenses are actually quite good IQ. It's their build and mechanics that is not as good as the $ ones.

What you will get from the 70-200 (I am assuming L lens here) is a faster lens in all respects. The AF on these is stunningly fast, unless it gets caught out on something. The little red light flicks almost instantly and the Servo tracks very well on moving targets. And of course you can get a wider aperture. That will help separate the background. In the light you have, there the aperture is not really needed for speed. In fact you have nearly stopped the tyres, so you must have had the shutter cranked up. I would actually come down a step or so.

Nick
CnC OK with me

OldNick
282 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Mar 07, 2010 20:20 as a reply to  @ OldNick's post |  #29

Just a thought. If you find that you have to use too small an aperture to get shallow DOF, with slower shutter speeds to get good blur, either of wheels or by panning, start looking for Neutral Density filters. You can slow the camera down several stops if you want.

Nick
CnC OK with me

Twhit.
THREAD ­ STARTER
695 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Mar 07, 2010 20:25 |  #30

OldNick wrote in post #9748868 (external link)
Those images look PDG anyway! The kit lenses are actually quite good IQ. It's their build and mechanics that is not as good as the $ ones.

What you will get from the 70-200 (I am assuming L lens here) is a faster lens in all respects. The AF on these is stunningly fast, unless it gets caught out on something. The little red light flicks almost instantly and the Servo tracks very well on moving targets. And of course you can get a wider aperture. That will help separate the background. In the light you have, there the aperture is not really needed for speed. In fact you have nearly stopped the tyres, so you must have had the shutter cranked up. I would actually come down a step or so.

I have been using the AV mode , at 100 ISO

sponsored links

4,005 views & 0 likes for this thread
Motocross-My first shots?
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Motorsports 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.