Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Small Compact Digitals by Canon 
Thread started 01 Mar 2010 (Monday) 18:52
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

which card to get?

scott0999
173 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Mar 01, 2010 18:52 |  #1

for my SX10IS, right now I'm using a kingston 2GB that was in my S2IS before. it doesnt even say what speed it is

could the new camera benefit from a faster card?

Canon SX10 IS | 430EX | Custom OCF Cable | Lensmate & Janco 58mm adapters | Raynox DCR-M250 | Hoya HD CIR-PL | Vanguard VS-82https://photography-on-the.net …php?t=836625&hi​ghlight=s2

sponsored links
babya
80 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Mar 01, 2010 19:48 |  #2

Get a class 4 or faster card-I suggest looking at Sandisk.

Canon cameras: PowerShot S95, SX20 IS, EOS 1100D (T3) & 300D.

scott0999
THREAD ­ STARTER
173 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Mar 01, 2010 20:50 |  #3

whats the max speed the camera can write to the card?

Canon SX10 IS | 430EX | Custom OCF Cable | Lensmate & Janco 58mm adapters | Raynox DCR-M250 | Hoya HD CIR-PL | Vanguard VS-82https://photography-on-the.net …php?t=836625&hi​ghlight=s2

996gt2
Goldmember
1,045 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Mar 02, 2010 17:16 |  #4

For an SX10 IS it doesn't really matter what card you get...the camera isn't fast enough to take advantage of a fast card anyway. Continuous shooting maxes out at something like 1 frame/sec on the SX10, so any card is pretty much faster than the camera.

A fast card would be quite useful if you had something like a 1D Mark III that shoots 10 frames/sec...but on a slower camera there is no difference.

Buy/Sell Feedback
5Dc, 50D, Tokina 12-24 f/4, Tamron 28-75 f/2.8, Sigma 50mm f/1.4, 430EX

Delija
Goldmember
1,095 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Mar 02, 2010 19:13 |  #5

996gt2 wrote in post #9716135 (external link)
For an SX10 IS it doesn't really matter what card you get...the camera isn't fast enough to take advantage of a fast card anyway. Continuous shooting maxes out at something like 1 frame/sec on the SX10, so any card is pretty much faster than the camera.

A fast card would be quite useful if you had something like a 1D Mark III that shoots 10 frames/sec...but on a slower camera there is no difference.

Yup....totally right. I see that 99gt has a 40D....so do I. Even that camera which can shoot at over 6 frames per second does not benefit from a faster card (may benefit in the sense that it could upload picture files from a reader to a computer faster..but won't make a difference in the camera itself - and transfering Jpeg files is pretty fast...and even if it took twice as long with a slower card than a faster card... 100 full size images from you SX would still upload in less than 5 minutes = not a very long time. But the difference in the cost of faster cards can be quite significant .

I also own an SX10 IS...I use a good size (8GB) standard speed Sandisk SD card..I used to have a bunch of smaller cards and sold them with another camera.. I never fill it up before getting a chance to upload the pictures I want to save, so a 4GB card (or two) would be adequate for me.

Kingston is fine. Sandisk and Lexar are fine. I haven't heard any compliants about the reliabiity of any brand name SD (or CF) card. But "they say" (whoever "they" is)...that Sandisk and Lexar are the better cards. I have used and never had a problem with Kingston or Transcend or the Lexar and Sandisk cards I have now.....(those are all I can remember having owned and used).

Peace,
D.

Wow, what a nice picture! You must have a really great camera!

scott0999
THREAD ­ STARTER
173 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Mar 02, 2010 19:56 |  #6

makes sense. so the lower fps cameras may not benefit. but transferring from the card to computer would be faster

sponsored links

1,066 views & 0 likes for this thread
which card to get?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Small Compact Digitals by Canon 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.