Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 02 Mar 2010 (Tuesday) 08:14
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

White balance seems off, can anyone input?

Gel
Goldmember
1,145 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Mar 02, 2010 08:14 |  #1

Two pictures, same setup.

The first image the white balance was set to auto on the 5D mkII
The second it was set to flash.
Lighting used, 2 x Bowens Monolights + white brollies, modelling lights set to turn off with the flash firing.

The auto one looks better than the flash set one, can anyone explain why? The Iso, lens setting were the same, the aperture on one is 5, the other 5.6 (Full Exif data should be there).

Both shot at 1/160, both flash units set with a Sekonik 358.

Both images taken into lightroom and converted to jpeg, nothing has been changed.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

Chris Giles Photography

sponsored links
johnlo
Goldmember
1,113 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Mar 02, 2010 08:25 |  #2

i can be totally wrong.. the K for your monolight might be different for your camera flash setting.. to get the best result, you need to set on custom white balance for your monolight.

johnlo photography :
personal blog: http://www.jklimagery.​com (external link)
My Gear List

loydall
755 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Mar 02, 2010 08:31 |  #3

I never really bother with the white balance on camera (usually leave it on auto). I just set a custom white balance in LIghtroom/Photoshop using the white balance selector.

Have you tried that?

5d Mark II + whatever lenses I have on the day..
Photography (external link)
|
Food (external link)

Gel
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,145 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Mar 02, 2010 08:35 |  #4

loydall wrote in post #9712834 (external link)
I never really bother with the white balance on camera (usually leave it on auto). I just set a custom white balance in LIghtroom/Photoshop using the white balance selector.

Have you tried that?

Yep tried that.

It's not a biggie to me just something I want to understand 'why' it's happening.

I'll probably get myself an 18% grey card and put in a custom setup as Johnlo suggested.

Auto has worked well so far it kinda caught me by suprise when I did something that I thought was right only to find it gave poor results.

Chris Giles Photography

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Mar 02, 2010 08:38 |  #5

Nobody's picked up on the joke yet?

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it here (external link). Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid! (external link)

Gel
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,145 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Mar 02, 2010 08:57 |  #6

cdifoto wrote in post #9712867 (external link)

Nope

Chris Giles Photography

dmward
Cream of the Crop
9,081 posts
Gallery: 29 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Mar 02, 2010 09:06 |  #7

If you are using Lightroom and shooting raw, the white balance set by the camera is only used for the initial thumbnail that is brought on-screen. The Adobe Standard is the default camera calibration. LR changes the screen image to that default which is why there is a pop with a color change when you first see the image in LR.

For studio shooting, I always use a color checker reference. The new PassPort is ideal.
It also works in the field when there are unusual lighting conditions.

There is software (Adobe DNG Profiler or the app that comes with the color checker) for making custom camera calibration profiles that Lightroom and Camera Raw use.

If you choose to use a color checker, remember that Adobe uses the second from left gray square for white balance.

In addition to white balance the color checker is a good way to fine tune exposure for the light setup.

There are pages on my tutorial site explaining how I use the color checker to calibrate the camera and fine tune exposure.

Here is an example of the reference shot:

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

David | Sharing my Insights, Knowledge & Experience (external link) | dmwfotos website (external link)

FJ ­ LOVE
Cream of the Crop
20,883 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Mar 02, 2010 09:06 |  #8

Gel nothing has changed but you have selected two different white balance settings, auto and flash. if you want your white balance to remain the same you will have to set a custom white balance or pick a temperature eg. 5600 K. by using auto your letting the camera choose random settings

DILLIGAF about your bicycle or your gear

Gel
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,145 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Mar 02, 2010 09:28 |  #9

Righto.

Thanks for all the input, I'll set the color balance manually in future.

Chris Giles Photography

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Mar 02, 2010 09:40 |  #10

Sad.

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it here (external link). Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid! (external link)

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
41,890 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

Mar 02, 2010 10:36 |  #11

I'll not comment on the WB setting first, but I will make a different observation which does affect the WB/tint...

Get your subject FARTHER from the background!!! One can see, by looking at the floor tiles, that there is significant bounce back of light contamination by the backround which is in use, you can see it for 3-4' on the floor (assuming 6" floor tiles)

Now, onto the WB question originally posted...the Auto WB setting will be influenced by what the camera perceives, and it is likely getting fooled...the Canon Auto WB is hardly something to be used as a good standard! And the Flash WB setting is not identical to Daylight WB setting, since electronic flash setting is typically cooler by 300K

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

pkalona
Mostly Lurking
10 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Mar 02, 2010 12:11 |  #12

White balance aside, seems pretty obvious why the first image looks better (even with the ugly edge of the floor molding showing). It's the way it's tilted of course.

Sam|McGuire
865 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Mar 02, 2010 13:09 |  #13

What power are the strobes firing at? I know some studio strobes tend to give off a color cast at lower power.

Canon 5DII| 35L | 16-35LII |24-70L |70-200 F/2.8 IS LII | Alien Bees | CPS Member
Flickr  (external link)
www.moralfibers.co (external link)

jmoney916
284 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Mar 02, 2010 16:18 as a reply to  @ Sam|McGuire's post |  #14

Get yourself a digital grey kard. 18% cards are used for exposure not white balance.

5D MkII Grip'd - 17-40 f4L - 24-105 f4L - 70-200 f2.8L MkII - 50 f1.4 - 85 f1.8 - 430EX II - 580EX II - Genesis 200w x2
Flickr (external link)
500px (external link)

kfyount
821 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Mar 02, 2010 17:39 |  #15

cdifoto wrote in post #9712867 (external link)

Well - it is obvious to me! When the "flash" setting is used, it changes the hat to a cane and also makes the white shoes look black. It also seems to have a "TV" impact (i.e., adds a few pounds).

LOL

Kevin

sponsored links

1,643 views & 0 likes for this thread
White balance seems off, can anyone input?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.