Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 02 Mar 2010 (Tuesday) 16:43
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Question about grid "degrees"

kfyount
821 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Mar 02, 2010 16:43 |  #1

Hi - a newbee here. Not completely new, but pretty new to studio and small flashes. I've yet to find an answer to this question. I know it is only a matter of searching, but I ran out of patience.

I know what a grid is - but what are the "degrees" in a grid? I assume it is an angle, but what angle? Is there any link to a site that explains and better yet, illustrates this.

I suppose my real question boils down to what does the differnt degrees mean to the light? Then I could play around and figure out what is best for what I want to do.

Thanks for indulging what is probably a silly question.

Kevin

sponsored links
Tyger
Goldmember
1,295 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Mar 02, 2010 17:03 |  #2

hope this helps

https://photography-on-the.net …php?p=9588654&p​ostcount=7

https://photography-on-the.net …php?p=9585232&p​ostcount=2

Gear List
You create your reality.

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
43,920 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

Mar 02, 2010 17:07 |  #3

Grids for lights often come with different number of degrees of light spread, stated with the accessory.
For example, Dynalite makes 7" grids in 10, 20, 30 or 40 degree.

This web site can help you to visualize the difference, but unfortunately they do not rate the number of degrees, but use subjective terms.
http://www.bron.ch …&kategorie=vt_p​d_lg_sc_en (external link)

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

kfyount
THREAD ­ STARTER
821 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Mar 02, 2010 17:22 as a reply to  @ Tyger's post |  #4

Thanks guys! That helps but as I read, I realized that maybe my question is also about "how to". I am just starting out and I also am a big DIY'er. I now understand the terminology better and see what different degrees do to the light.

But how does this look on the grid itself? Is a 10 degree grid only the angle of the resulting "cone" of light? Or is it the angle of the grid elements itself?

I know that a longer length of "honeycomb" (or drinking straws glued together) give a tighter ring of light. So maybe the "degree" of a grid is a function of the length or distance from where the light enters and exits the grid?

Am I getting on-track or still far astray?

Kevin

Jay ­ T
453 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Mar 02, 2010 17:45 |  #5

its like a screen , 10 degree has smaller holes than a 20 an20 are smaller than 30 etc. is that what you wanted to kn0w

1DX\ 5diii gripped \ tokina 12-24 f/4 /sigma 24-60 f2.8 \ \ sigma 120-300 OS \ sigma 50 f1.4 \ canon 500 f4 IS \ canon1.4 III tc \ canon 2xii tc \sigma 2x dg tc \ 580ex \ 2x 430ex flickr (external link)

kfyount
THREAD ­ STARTER
821 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Mar 02, 2010 17:54 |  #6

Jay T wrote in post #9716277 (external link)
its like a screen , 10 degree has smaller holes than a 20 an20 are smaller than 30 etc. is that what you wanted to kn0w

Now we're getting somewhere! Thanks!

But is the only difference the size of the holes? I've already found that a longer honeycomb shoots a different light circle than a shorter one. (i.e., the longer has a smaller circle than the shorter when everything else is constant.)

So if I make/use a longer (deeper) grid, even with the same size holes, it makes it a smaller degree number?

Kevin

PacAce
Cream of the Crop
26,899 posts
Joined Feb 2003

Mar 02, 2010 17:59 |  #7

kfyount wrote in post #9716162 (external link)
Thanks guys! That helps but as I read, I realized that maybe my question is also about "how to". I am just starting out and I also am a big DIY'er. I now understand the terminology better and see what different degrees do to the light.

But how does this look on the grid itself? Is a 10 degree grid only the angle of the resulting "cone" of light? Or is it the angle of the grid elements itself?

I know that a longer length of "honeycomb" (or drinking straws glued together) give a tighter ring of light. So maybe the "degree" of a grid is a function of the length or distance from where the light enters and exits the grid?

Am I getting on-track or still far astray?

It's a function of both the thickness of the honeycomb grid (looking at it from the side) and the size of honeycomb cells (looking at it from the front or back of the grid).

...Leo

grewbek
243 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Mar 02, 2010 18:29 |  #8

Wilt wrote in post #9716091 (external link)
Grids for lights often come with different number of degrees of light spread, stated with the accessory.
For example, Dynalite makes 7" grids in 10, 20, 30 or 40 degree.

This web site can help you to visualize the difference, but unfortunately they do not rate the number of degrees, but use subjective terms.
http://www.bron.ch …&kategorie=vt_p​d_lg_sc_en (external link)

Wilt, thanks for that link. I don't think I've ever seen that ability to compare different modifiers like this. You can really visualize some of the harder, contrastier light with the softer modifiers.

Flickr (external link)

Conner999
748 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Mar 03, 2010 07:06 |  #9

The simulations on this site will give you a better idea of effect of grids (in this case on softboxes) and the resulting light spread. LightTools are one of the premium (cough, $$$$) grid suppliers in the industry. Just click on a given softbox vendor's name to see sim of the effect of various grids from a standard 3x3 softbox. If you click on the grid size at the top of the page for a given vendor, you'll get the price - e.g Chimera -> 24x32 -> 40 deg = US$220

http://www.lighttools.​com/subgrouping.htm?ca​t=22520 (external link)

kfyount
THREAD ­ STARTER
821 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Mar 03, 2010 11:20 |  #10

Conner999 wrote in post #9719495 (external link)
The simulations on this site will give you a better idea of effect of grids (in this case on softboxes) and the resulting light spread. LightTools are one of the premium (cough, $$$$) grid suppliers in the industry. Just click on a given softbox vendor's name to see sim of the effect of various grids from a standard 3x3 softbox. If you click on the grid size at the top of the page for a given vendor, you'll get the price - e.g Chimera -> 24x32 -> 40 deg = US$220

http://www.lighttools.​com/subgrouping.htm?ca​t=22520 (external link)

Thanks! This was what I needed to understand it. Thanks to everyone for the help.

I love this forum!:D

Kevin

sponsored links

7,264 views & 0 likes for this thread
Question about grid "degrees"
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.