Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 03 Mar 2010 (Wednesday) 14:36
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

New "Scientific" Auto Focus Test: The Winner Is?

tharmsen
Goldmember
1,737 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Mar 03, 2010 14:36 |  #1

A new "scientific" auto focus test has been posted online (external link).

The results may surprise you.

I found the tests to be anything but fair.

Read the test results then please check out my Blog (http://digitaldiffract​ion.blogspot.com …ific-auto-focus-test.html (external link)) and read what I have to say about the tests.

Gear List

sponsored links
bacchanal
Cream of the Crop
5,284 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Mar 03, 2010 14:44 |  #2

I think they're just trying to drive traffic to their website by latching onto the RG tidal wave. They had a similar round of tests during the peak of the mkIII fiasco.

I agree that testing a pro body at default settings is kind of pointless.

Drew A. | gear | photosexternal link

angela6571
93 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Mar 03, 2010 14:59 |  #3

I dont think anyone can put numbers on AF performance.

All I know is that, logically speaking, if the D3 could really only hit 50%, I dont think so many people would be using it. Additionally, I know for a fact that the 40D does a lot better than 42%...

Tsmith
Formerly known as Bluedog_XT
10,429 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Mar 03, 2010 15:18 |  #4

Everybody's got an opinion to solve the solution. Ever seen how different methods people around the web via blogs and their own web sites have hashed out the micro adjustment lens option? So many different scenarios can come into play with an AF system that the AF will never be 100% exact.

PIXmantra
Goldmember
1,193 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Mar 03, 2010 16:15 |  #5

For those...

tharmsen wrote in post #9721935 (external link)
A new "scientific" auto focus test has been posted online (external link).

The results may surprise you.

I found the tests to be anything but fair.

Read the test results then please check out my Blog (http://digitaldiffract​ion.blogspot.com …ific-auto-focus-test.html (external link)) and read what I have to say about the tests.

...Still believing in forum-texting, gossip, word-of-mouth, lack of Test Protocol, etc., any results coming from a harder, more structured, numerical/repeatable approach will be very difficult to ingest. :D

These results (except for 1D4) echo very closely what FotoMagazin (in Germany) tested more than a YEAR ago, with 40D, 1D3, 1Ds3, D3 and many other cams... (but their test involved a vehicle running at constant speed, approaching the camera. It was highly numerical, easy to quantify, and very repeatable).

In FotoMagazin tests, the 40D fared better, though... and the 1D3 ruled supreme. (the D3 could not keep up with 1D-series, in terms of burst depth, speed and accuracy, after numerous attempts to configure / tune it).

Of course, the above test would need to be re-run with finely tuned configs., again, so we can all see what all these cams can truly deliver. That part is missing, and would need to be considered. For the moment, it is a good start but... a half-way done test.

Cheers, and thanks,

PIX

Click here for FlexNR-Professional Noise Reduction for EOS 1D3
CPS Member/ 2x1DMKIII/ 70D/ Pentax MX
300mm f/2.8 L II IS/ 24mm f/1.4 L II/ 35mm f/2.0 IS/ 17-40 f/4 L/ 24-105 f/4 L IS / 70-200 f/4 L IS
270EX/ 580EX/ 580EX II/ ST-E2/ CP-E3
HP Z800 x2 XEON, x12 Core/ EIZO CG241W/ Viewsonic VP930b

PIXmantra
Goldmember
1,193 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Mar 03, 2010 16:23 |  #6

For many months...

bacchanal wrote in post #9721978 (external link)
I agree that testing a pro body at default settings is kind of pointless.

...The exact opposite was the argument of D3 proponents (especially those that, somehow, arrived to the "mathematical" conclusion that it offered superior AF performance with respect the 1D3).

And the very same argument is being offered against the 1D4, which requires (exactly as the 1D3) good tuning to extract all of its juice.

Cheers,

PIX

Click here for FlexNR-Professional Noise Reduction for EOS 1D3
CPS Member/ 2x1DMKIII/ 70D/ Pentax MX
300mm f/2.8 L II IS/ 24mm f/1.4 L II/ 35mm f/2.0 IS/ 17-40 f/4 L/ 24-105 f/4 L IS / 70-200 f/4 L IS
270EX/ 580EX/ 580EX II/ ST-E2/ CP-E3
HP Z800 x2 XEON, x12 Core/ EIZO CG241W/ Viewsonic VP930b

bacchanal
Cream of the Crop
5,284 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Mar 03, 2010 18:34 |  #7

PIXmantra wrote in post #9722601 (external link)
...The exact opposite was the argument of D3 proponents (especially those that, somehow, arrived to the "mathematical" conclusion that it offered superior AF performance with respect the 1D3).

And the very same argument is being offered against the 1D4, which requires (exactly as the 1D3) good tuning to extract all of its juice.

Cheers,

PIX

No matter how you slice it the "release + focus" setting is a pretty major one to overlook and would certainly have a significant impact these test results.

Drew A. | gear | photosexternal link

tharmsen
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,737 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Mar 03, 2010 19:19 |  #8

PIXmantra wrote in post #9722545 (external link)
...Still believing in forum-texting, gossip, word-of-mouth, lack of Test Protocol, etc., any results coming from a harder, more structured, numerical/repeatable approach will be very difficult to ingest. :D

These results (except for 1D4) echo very closely what FotoMagazin (in Germany) tested more than a YEAR ago, with 40D, 1D3, 1Ds3, D3 and many other cams... (but their test involved a vehicle running at constant speed, approaching the camera. It was highly numerical, easy to quantify, and very repeatable).

In FotoMagazin tests, the 40D fared better, though... and the 1D3 ruled supreme. (the D3 could not keep up with 1D-series, in terms of burst depth, speed and accuracy, after numerous attempts to configure / tune it).

Of course, the above test would need to be re-run with finely tuned configs., again, so we can all see what all these cams can truly deliver. That part is missing, and would need to be considered. For the moment, it is a good start but... a half-way done test.

Cheers, and thanks,

PIX

I only ask they would do a realistic test vs. the "default settings". Actually, the 1D4 might be setup ideally for this particular test by default. I know for a fact the D3 isn't though.

One would think that the 1D4 would be the king of the hill in a more diverse test... but that's pure speculation on my part.

Gear List

tharmsen
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,737 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Mar 03, 2010 19:21 |  #9

bacchanal wrote in post #9723380 (external link)
No matter how you slice it the "release + focus" setting is a pretty major one to overlook and would certainly have a significant impact these test results.

+1

To the point that the entire test is pointless if you don't change that basic setting. Either they didn't know this about the D3 or it's pretty shady to publish such overtly flawed test results and tout them as being "scientific". Sure, the way the test was conducted was scientific but the calibration of the equipment wasn't. It would be like having a drag race between a ZR1 Corvette and a Porsche 911, but forcing the Corvette to stay in 1st gear the entire race. What's the point?

Gear List

DarthVader
Cream of the Crop
6,509 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Mar 03, 2010 21:31 |  #10

Since they tested it good light ie not somewhat dark, there is no difference whether they put it in Release or Release+Focus...the tester knows what he's doing. Just as any review I don't put much weight on it..regardless it's RG, PopPhoto, or Smuckers. I decide which is the best based on my own test.

tharmsen wrote in post #9723648 (external link)
+1

To the point that the entire test is pointless if you don't change that basic setting. Either they didn't know this about the D3 or it's pretty shady to publish such overtly flawed test results and tout them as being "scientific". Sure, the way the test was conducted was scientific but the calibration of the equipment wasn't. It would be like having a drag race between a ZR1 Corvette and a Porsche 911, but forcing the Corvette to stay in 1st gear the entire race. What's the point?

Nikon/Fuji.
Gear is important but skills are very important :)

ugly_a
406 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Mar 03, 2010 21:50 |  #11

Haha... there's a lot of pissed off Nikon owners in there.

Gear-lust-free since yesterday.

tharmsen
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,737 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Mar 03, 2010 22:36 |  #12

maverick678 wrote in post #9724413 (external link)
Since they tested it good light ie not somewhat dark, there is no difference whether they put it in Release or Release+Focus...the tester knows what he's doing. Just as any review I don't put much weight on it..regardless it's RG, PopPhoto, or Smuckers. I decide which is the best based on my own test.

Perhaps you are correct that there would be little or no difference in the outcome. I do know that from chatting with D3 owners that regardless of lighting conditions, they feel they get far better performance out of their cameras with this function setting change and giving priority to AF.

Gear List

marklewisUK
Mostly Lurking
16 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Mar 04, 2010 01:37 |  #13

From my experience with Nikons it's perhaps the single most important change to make to the settings. I don't know a single Nikon user who uses release priority.

Anders ­ Östberg
Goldmember
3,395 posts
Joined Nov 2003

Mar 04, 2010 07:18 |  #14

I read there is some history of disagreements or quarrel over web sites between RG and the owner of prophotohome, maybe that needs to be taken into account when you read some comments there.

Anders Östberg - Mostly Canon gear - My photos (external link)

zincozinco
-Followers of Fidget-
4,420 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Mar 04, 2010 07:42 |  #15

Ahhh this is getting so old the Nay and jay sayers from Nikon and Canon camp are always quarelling about the same things. I have nothing against test sites, I follow them quite alot, but what disturbs me are that a lot of people only becuase they own a Canon Camera it has to be the best, or its a mate of theirs who just got a Nikon he /she is defending the brand to the teeth.

Living the life, overexposing...
Web (external link), Blog (external link) Name: Mike, Maik, Micke or just zinco.

sponsored links

4,268 views & 0 likes for this thread
New "Scientific" Auto Focus Test: The Winner Is?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.