Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
Thread started 03 Mar 2010 (Wednesday) 19:16
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Apple Support Macbook Pro SR

squaresnappr
278 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Mar 03, 2010 19:16 |  #1

I have the Macbook Pro SR 2.2 GHz upgraded to 4gb of Ram, Nvidia 8600GT 128MB and a 120Gb hard drive that I purchased 3 years ago. Within the first year of having this computer when I turned on the computer I would get blue vertical banding and yellow horizontal banding. I didn't have apple care so I was concerned and called Apple to tell them what happened. Because it only happened once and went back to normal, they said the laptop was fine. I had brought up that I read on the internet that Apple was having issues with the 8600GT video card and the girl asked me for my serial number on my macbook pro. She assured me that I would get 2 extra years if something happened to my computer.

Guess what? Nothing happened to my computer for the last 2 years until 2 weeks ago, the screen did the exact same thing but was permanent. Tried resetting with the guy at the genius bar and nothing. I then told him about the conversation that I had with the girl and he said no such conversation took place. Apparently, it is impossible with apple when a case number is given that it is misplaced or erased. He tried to do the graphics test but my laptop couldn't complete it. I was disappointed and politely told the guy at the genius bar that the conversation did take place but he said no possible way. As I was leaving, the apple store, the guy was kind enough to stop me and he further asked me more questions. I don't know what happened but he did a complete 180 degrees and said that looking at my machine and the condition it was in, he would give me the benefit of the doubt. He authorized the repair.

So, they were backordered on the logic board and said it will take a week to get the part in. After one week, a girl called me and said it will take 2 more days because while replacing the logic board, then damaged the screen and had to replace it. I then went to pick it up, and the screen shorted out, so they made me wait an hour. Another guy comes out and apologizes and tells me they have to replace the right IO board and to go home. I call them back in 2 days and they say they cannot fix it because they don't know what the problem is. So here I am thinking that I got 3 years use out of the computer when another lady calls me and apologizes. She then says come and pick up a brand new computer 2.66 GHZ, 4gb of ram, 9600GT and 320 GB hard drive. I now have a brand new box waiting at home because I didn't open it up yet.

Sorry for the long post but IMO Apple has the best customer support and very pleased right now.:)

ps I don't care if the new macbook pros are coming out, I am very happy with mine now.

My Gear
http://www.solofotogra​phy.com (external link)
http://www.modelmayhem​.com/1896508 (external link)

sponsored links
MaxxuM
Goldmember
3,361 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined May 2007

Mar 03, 2010 19:27 |  #2

squaresnappr wrote in post #9723616 (external link)
I have the Macbook Pro SR 2.2 GHz upgraded to 4gb of Ram, Nvidia 8600GT 128MB and a 120Gb hard drive that I purchased 3 years ago. Within the first year of having this computer when I turned on the computer I would get blue vertical banding and yellow horizontal banding. I didn't have apple care so I was concerned and called Apple to tell them what happened. Because it only happened once and went back to normal, they said the laptop was fine. I had brought up that I read on the internet that Apple was having issues with the 8600GT video card and the girl asked me for my serial number on my macbook pro. She assured me that I would get 2 extra years if something happened to my computer.

Guess what? Nothing happened to my computer for the last 2 years until 2 weeks ago, the screen did the exact same thing but was permanent. Tried resetting with the guy at the genius bar and nothing. I then told him about the conversation that I had with the girl and he said no such conversation took place. Apparently, it is impossible with apple when a case number is given that it is misplaced or erased. He tried to do the graphics test but my laptop couldn't complete it. I was disappointed and politely told the guy at the genius bar that the conversation did take place but he said no possible way. As I was leaving, the apple store, the guy was kind enough to stop me and he further asked me more questions. I don't know what happened but he did a complete 180 degrees and said that looking at my machine and the condition it was in, he would give me the benefit of the doubt. He authorized the repair.

So, they were backordered on the logic board and said it will take a week to get the part in. After one week, a girl called me and said it will take 2 more days because while replacing the logic board, then damaged the screen and had to replace it. I then went to pick it up, and the screen shorted out, so they made me wait an hour. Another guy comes out and apologizes and tells me they have to replace the right IO board and to go home. I call them back in 2 days and they say they cannot fix it because they don't know what the problem is. So here I am thinking that I got 3 years use out of the computer when another lady calls me and apologizes. She then says come and pick up a brand new computer 2.66 GHZ, 4gb of ram, 9600GT and 320 GB hard drive. I now have a brand new box waiting at home because I didn't open it up yet.

Sorry for the long post but IMO Apple has the best customer support and very pleased right now.:)

ps I don't care if the new macbook pros are coming out, I am very happy with mine now.

The manager stepped in. Could have been a regional manager too. The 2 extra years are applied at the end of your original purchase's warranty (basically a three year warranty). And, Apple does actually have the best customer satisfaction and customer support. I'm glade they took care of you :) FYI, 90% of the time if you press the matter and you're not completely out of line, Apple will just fix your computer to get you out of the door :lol:

BeritOlam
Goldmember
1,675 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Mar 04, 2010 03:46 |  #3

A great example of why the bottom-line price is not always the deciding factor in buying a computer. They've showed the same kind of support with my wife's iPhone.

Gear List

Blessed are the young, for they shall inherit the national debt. – Herbert Hoover

Jim ­ G
I feel thoroughly satisfied
12,253 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Mar 04, 2010 04:12 |  #4

We have had similar experiences with Apple - my wife had her laptop battery replaced for free outside of warranty and I got a new iPhone when my out-of-warranty iPhone started having reception issues. Couldn't fault them in our experience.

Gear Listhttp://www.codastudios​.com.au (external link) Reviews & Hotlinks: Domke F-3x - Pelican 1510/1514 (external link) & 1610/1614 (external link) - DIY Variable Length OC-E3 - Crumpler 6 Million Dollar Home (external link) - FA-100 (external link)

squaresnappr
THREAD ­ STARTER
278 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Mar 04, 2010 09:18 as a reply to  @ Jim G's post |  #5

I am glad to hear that others are having good experiences with Apple and is certainly refreshing to see great customer support these days.:) I have never had a problem with my other apple products and would really have been content with my old machine being fixed but after using the new machine yesterday, I am very satisfied.

FYI, 90% of the time if you press the matter and you're not completely out of line, Apple will just fix your computer to get you out of the door :lol:

Not only did they get me out of the door, they also got me coming back in for future purchases. Thanks for the kind comments.

A great example of why the bottom-line price is not always the deciding factor in buying a computer.

I agree, macs have always been frowned upon with their pricing but the user experience IMO is quite extraordinary and the build quality is phenomenal. I thought the inside of the Mac Pro was exceptional but this new unibody laptop is a very nice design from my old one.

My Gear
http://www.solofotogra​phy.com (external link)
http://www.modelmayhem​.com/1896508 (external link)

crn3371
Cream of the Crop
7,198 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Mar 05, 2010 14:31 |  #6

Glad to hear that everything worked out for you. Price isn't everything. There's a lot to be said for good customer service. Precisely why I'm an Apple customer and my wife is a Nordstroms customer.

sponsored links

1,230 views & 0 likes for this thread
Apple Support Macbook Pro SR
FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.