Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
Thread started 04 Mar 2010 (Thursday) 04:47
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

B&H prices online vs NYC store

AlexeyK
34 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Mar 04, 2010 04:47 |  #1

Hey guys!

Those of you who are from New York, or have been to the BHPhoto store there, how are the prices compared to the online prices?

I've downloaded the catalogue from their site, and the prices there are slightly higher than the online store, so I figured they must be store-prices, but not quite sure!

Going to NY in the summer, so big plans big plans!

Also, anynoe have recommendations for camera and photo stores with good prices except BH?

sponsored links
syphlix
124 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Mar 04, 2010 09:46 |  #2

if you're coming here you can check out adorama as well... i've actually never been to B&H but from what i see online their prices are pretty much the same... i just happen to go to adorama bc it's a lot closer to me...

Check out my website/blog here! (external link)
My Flickr Photostream (external link)

HelenOster
That's me!
4,589 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Mar 04, 2010 11:26 |  #3

Message from Helen at Adorama

syphlix wrote in post #9727206 (external link)
if you're coming here you can check out adorama as well... i've actually never been to B&H but from what i see online their prices are pretty much the same... i just happen to go to adorama bc it's a lot closer to me...

We sometimes have apparent price discrepencies, which can generally be explained two ways:

• catalogs are printed up ahead of time, so prices can change
  • MAP regulations restrict us from posting some low prices on our site - you need to place an item into the basket to see the lower price that you will actually be charged

HarrisonClicks
Goldmember
1,113 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Mar 04, 2010 11:31 as a reply to  @ HelenOster's post |  #4

Don't forget about taxes v. no taxes for online / out of state.

Adam
Gear List Temporarily Removed

hairy_moth
Goldmember
3,739 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2009

Mar 04, 2010 11:37 |  #5

I'm pretty sure their in-store prices are the same as on their website... They were for me when I bought my last lens from them. As noted, when there you pay NY State and City sales tax.

7D | 300D | G1X | Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 | EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 | EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro | EF 85mm f/1.8 | 70-200 f/2.8L MkII -- flickr (external link)

prosperity
24 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Mar 04, 2010 12:35 |  #6

If you happen to have access to the Internet while you're in NYC, go through Bing Cashback and order what you need. You'd probably save on tax too. Then call B&H and say that you'll pick it up. Show up with your driver's license and the card you paid with - voila, you are on your way.

[Rebel XS] [Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8] [18-55mm IS kit] [50mm f/1.8] [430EX II] [desire to learn]

CanonHowitzer
304 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Mar 04, 2010 12:50 as a reply to  @ prosperity's post |  #7

Can you go into the BH store in NYC, get help picking out things, and then go over to a computer and order them on line to be shipped to your home?
That way you wouldn't have to carry the stuff home. Also could save on sales tax in some cases. Of course there would be a shipping charge unless you got lucky and the item(s) was on sale as free shipping.

:cool:

EOS 50D, 17-55/2.8, 85mm/1.8, 70-200mm/f4 IS

hairy_moth
Goldmember
3,739 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2009

Mar 04, 2010 12:53 |  #8

CanonHowitzer wrote in post #9728399 (external link)
Can you go into the BH store in NYC, get help picking out things, and then go over to a computer and order them on line to be shipped to your home?
That way you wouldn't have to carry the stuff home. Also could save on sales tax in some cases. Of course there would be a shipping charge unless you got lucky and the item(s) was on sale as free shipping.

I wouldn't expect any luv from the salesperson, but why not? The in-store sale is not final until you finalize it by paying for it.

7D | 300D | G1X | Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 | EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 | EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro | EF 85mm f/1.8 | 70-200 f/2.8L MkII -- flickr (external link)

TristateViP
195 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Mar 04, 2010 12:57 |  #9

CanonHowitzer wrote in post #9728399 (external link)

It sounds like a good question but I don't think the people in the store have the same setup as online sales. You wait in a little line till a rep is ready, you tell them what you want, they make an order ticket and the item is pulled from inventory and sent downstairs for processing ( packaging ) . What I used to do when I worked around the corner from teh store was call ahead and make sure the item was in stock before I went there and had them pull it to the side for me. As stated though in NYC you'd have to pay the tax on the item.

Canon/60D/17-40L/Sigma 70-200 2.8/Tamron 28-75 2.8
A few green bees ;)

Mosca
542 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Mar 04, 2010 20:31 |  #10

HarrisonClicks wrote in post #9727859 (external link)
Don't forget about taxes v. no taxes for online / out of state.

Just to be on the safe side...

Taxes are the same either way, but instead of B&H collecting them and submitting them to your state and county, you are responsible for tracking and submitting them.

I'm not claiming any high ground; I'm the same as everyone else. But lets make sure we understand, is all.

ncgator
Mostly Lurking
14 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Mar 13, 2010 21:27 as a reply to  @ Mosca's post |  #11

I went to B&H was able to demo just about anything. Bought an I pod touch for my son and was advised by the clerk to ship it to my home address (out of state) and avoided the NY state and city tax (I would assume other items would be the same). Just had to make my son wait a week until we returned home. :D

NC Gator
7D gripped, 40D gripped/ 70-200 L 2.8/ 24-70 L 2.8/ 50mm 1.4/ 2x TC

HelenOster
That's me!
4,589 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Mar 14, 2010 11:45 |  #12

Message from Helen at Adorama Camera

ncgator wrote in post #9791670 (external link)
I went to B&H was able to demo just about anything. Bought an I pod touch for my son and was advised by the clerk to ship it to my home address (out of state) and avoided the NY state and city tax (I would assume other items would be the same). Just had to make my son wait a week until we returned home. :D

I just checked, and we can also ship items purchased in store - however, due to dealer restrictions this applies to any products except Apple!

bjyoder
Goldmember
1,664 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Mar 14, 2010 11:55 |  #13

Mosca wrote in post #9731155 (external link)
Just to be on the safe side...

Taxes are the same either way, but instead of B&H collecting them and submitting them to your state and county, you are responsible for tracking and submitting them.

I'm not claiming any high ground; I'm the same as everyone else. But lets make sure we understand, is all.

Just echoing the thought; with the way some states' finances are these days, you'd think people would be willing to help out a bit and pay what they owe. (And I am going to take a bit of high ground on this, as I have paid the state tax man the past two years (the only 2 years I've bought new on the web); this year it wiped out my entire State return! :lol: :D)

Ben

500px (external link) | Website (external link) | Gear

leroy_sunset
679 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Mar 14, 2010 22:50 |  #14

I protest regressive sales taxes by not paying them whenever I can. Plain and simple.

Canon's Jurassic Park - 1Ds, 1D bodies
My traveling buddy: the trusty S95
Newest addition: T2i
Glass - 50mm 1.4, 40mm 2.8 STM, "the dirty 85" 1.8, 100mm 2.8 Macro, 430exII, 270ex, and more... including my favorite Lens: the 17-40mm!

bps
Cream of the Crop
7,607 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Mar 14, 2010 23:41 |  #15

Mosca wrote in post #9731155 (external link)

:lol:

My Gear List

sponsored links

1,556 views & 0 likes for this thread
B&H prices online vs NYC store
FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.