Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff Member Activities 
Thread started 04 Mar 2010 (Thursday) 11:45
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Pacific Northwesterners!!

robbug
212 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Jun 12, 2012 13:34 as a reply to  @ post 14568984 |  #1441

Unfortunately no.

On this link you can see the route of the ferry:

https://maps.google.co​m …pyard,+Bremerto​n,+WA&z=14 (external link)

Now you got me thinking about trying to get a camera pass and jump on one of these things lol.

Refractive Photos (external link)
Stuff that gets me the exposure
When asked if there were too many people taking pictures today, Elliot Erwitt replied, "All you need is a pencil and a piece of paper to write a novel, don't you?"

sponsored links
Littlejon ­ Dsgn
Goldmember
3,266 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Jun 12, 2012 13:37 |  #1442

robbug wrote in post #14569013 (external link)
Unfortunately no.

On this link you can see the route of the ferry:

https://maps.google.co​m …pyard,+Bremerto​n,+WA&z=14 (external link)

Now you got me thinking about trying to get a camera pass and jump on one of these things lol.

Grab one for me too :lol: I would love to get out even just onto the docks with my camera. Large ships like that are amazing and I never get tired of em. I took over 100 pictures of some tug boats last night while the wife and I were zipping around on the Columbia

Are photo passes something the public can apply for?

robbug
212 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Jun 12, 2012 13:51 as a reply to  @ Littlejon Dsgn's post |  #1443

No unfortunately. It's pretty controlled with only employees or military allowed inside and getting a camera pass is pretty tough without a good reason to have a camera.

When asked if there were too many people taking pictures today, Elliot Erwitt replied, "All you need is a pencil and a piece of paper to write a novel, don't you?"

Littlejon ­ Dsgn
Goldmember
3,266 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Jun 12, 2012 13:53 |  #1444

robbug wrote in post #14569080 (external link)
No unfortunately. It's pretty controlled with only employees or military allowed inside and getting a camera pass is pretty tough without a good reason to have a camera.

Well bummer ... Military and there rules :lol: Well it was worth asking :) Thanks again for all the info

Jcambo7
75 posts
Joined May 2012

Jun 12, 2012 22:01 |  #1445

robbug wrote in post #14569080 (external link)

Maybe I can get on. I'm in the Air Force. Any shot's of the ships from a distance?

Canon Powershot G12, LA-DC58K adapter, some 58 MM filters.
SrA in the USAF stationed at McChord AFB, WA
Beginner and hobby photographer

benttop
701 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Mar 2005

Jun 13, 2012 19:01 as a reply to  @ Jcambo7's post |  #1446

One duck out of step!

IMAGE: http://www.pbase.com/image/144029999/original.jpg

Steve Cavanaugh
EOS 5D MK III, EF 50 f1.2L, EF 85 f1.2L, EF 24 f1.4L, EF 400 f5.6L, EF 24-70, EF 70-200, EF 100-400, EF 100 Macro, G12, EOS 7D, Fujifilm X100S and X-T1

mndoci
277 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Jun 16, 2012 15:25 |  #1447

Does anyone know the best place to take pictures of the Bald Eagles that are always hanging out on the 520?

Smugmug (external link) | 500px (external link)
7D, 450D, Way too much gear (external link)

robbug
212 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Jun 16, 2012 18:07 as a reply to  @ mndoci's post |  #1448

Not sure about 520 but if you willing to trek over to the Kitsap Peninsula, you can head to Seabeck and catch them for the next couple of weeks feeding on bullhead and playing with the crows.

benttop
701 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Jun 17, 2012 16:39 as a reply to  @ robbug's post |  #1449

Some of you have no doubt seen these already in one place or another, but FB wouldn't let me share the whole set, so here you are... :)

Got these on the Cedar River Trail this morning, very near Lake Washington. There was a GBH there too, but he was uncooperative.

IMAGE: http://www.pbase.com/benttop/image/144122035/original.jpg

IMAGE: http://www.pbase.com/benttop/image/144122039/original.jpg

IMAGE: http://www.pbase.com/benttop/image/144122042/original.jpg

IMAGE: http://www.pbase.com/benttop/image/144122043/original.jpg

Steve Cavanaugh
EOS 5D MK III, EF 50 f1.2L, EF 85 f1.2L, EF 24 f1.4L, EF 400 f5.6L, EF 24-70, EF 70-200, EF 100-400, EF 100 Macro, G12, EOS 7D, Fujifilm X100S and X-T1

Littlejon ­ Dsgn
Goldmember
3,266 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Jun 17, 2012 18:16 as a reply to  @ benttop's post |  #1450

Those humming bird pictures are amazing.

Jcambo7
75 posts
Joined May 2012

Jun 17, 2012 20:43 |  #1451

Great series Steve. Amazing shots!

Canon Powershot G12, LA-DC58K adapter, some 58 MM filters.
SrA in the USAF stationed at McChord AFB, WA
Beginner and hobby photographer

benttop
701 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Jun 17, 2012 22:07 as a reply to  @ Jcambo7's post |  #1452

Thanks guys!

Steve Cavanaugh

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Jun 18, 2012 21:34 |  #1453

Hey gang!

Boy, what a hectic "long weekend" it's been!

I had several photography-related goals: First off, I've wanted to kick-start my "Biking Photog" project by getting out several times a week on my bike and packing photo gear. Then, I was planning to shoot an event here in downtown Vancouver, a festival with a live band, on Saturday afternoon. Then, a Meetup with a local hiking/walking group mid-day Sunday, and finally Sunday afternoon and evening with my "extended family" for a Father's Day Bar-B-Que, to which I would pack some camera gear.

Well, so as not to repeat myself endlessly, here is a quote from my Facebook post of a bit ago:

Well, this afternoon I'm declaring the end of a long, busy, hectic weekend!

It started on Thursday when I set out on a bike ride of several miles with some camera gear, heading for a wetlands a few miles away. But, before I got even halfway, I got a flat tire! I had to walk the bike down to a main road where I could catch the bus.

Friday, I got a new innertube in the tire, thinking I was good to go.

Saturday I had a couple things going on. In the morning, I took off on the bike to run an errand. In the afternoon I had a major local event to photograph. But halfway through my morning ride, the rear tire went crazy! It turns out that when the inner tube went flat it shredded the part of the tire that "sticks" in the wheel and holds it in!

Again, walk and grab a bus and walk it home, then I quickly had to grab a but to the event downtown where I did shoot! Then yesterday I was busy all day -- a Meetup of local hikers/walkers, and then spending Father's Day afternoon and evening with "extended family".

Well, today I put a new tire on the ol' Mountain Bike and everything seems to be up and running! I'm done, and just in time -- tomorrow I have another hiking/walking meetup, and I plan to ride the dang bike to get to it!

Anyone who is interested in event photography (and some Street photography) is welcome to check out my "collection" from yesterday, 87 pics processed and posted out of 267 shots taken...

Here's a couple shots from Saturday:

IMAGE: http://www.pbase.com/tonylong/image/144103962/original.jpg

IMAGE: http://www.pbase.com/tonylong/image/144104779/original.jpg

IMAGE: http://www.pbase.com/tonylong/image/144105273/original.jpg

If you are a glutton for punishment, are bored, or are actually interested you can see the collection here:

http://www.pbase.com …6_2012_vancouve​r_festival (external link)

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

benttop
701 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Jun 18, 2012 22:04 as a reply to  @ tonylong's post |  #1454

Tony, your images all have a "feel" that I cannot quite put into words. I'm curious about your workflow and settings. How do you produce these?

Steve Cavanaugh

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Jun 18, 2012 22:31 |  #1455

Well, Steve, thanks! That day was challenging because of the bright sunlight but with a lot happening in the shadows, including the band. Plus, it was so warm, after all the bike trauma, that I was really worn out at the end!

I do all my post processing in Lightroom, and shoot Raw, and I try to really maximize the Raw format and Raw software. For example, I love how Lightroom lets you really play with blue skies using the Blue channel -- I rarely mess with Saturation, even with the Blue, but pulling down the Blue Luminance actually comes quite close to what a CPL does, and so I rarely touch my CPL collection!

And then, Highlight and Shadow recovery are super important to that type of shooting. If there are clouds in the sky I'll tweak my exposure so that just little bits of the clouds show clipping. Or, with solid pieces of blue sky, a lot of times I'll meter the sky and set the exposure to expose it at +1EV.

Then, in Lightroom 4, I've found that the Highlight and Shadow Recovery tools in both the Basic panel and the Tonal Curves panel together give you more effective results than LR3 did, which is very cool! I love taming the bright clouds, together with those blue skies, as well as scenes like that bandstand scene and the street market scene where the sunlight was so bright and needed to be tamed and the shadow areas, well, need all the help they can get!

So, for most of this shoot, I had the Lightroom Highlights cranked all the way down in the Basic panel and also the Shadows tool cranked up pretty high. Sometimes I'd pull the Exposure back a bit if needed or up a bit if called for. It all depends on the challenges of the Dynamic Range.

The good news is that it's very simple in Lightroom to pick a bunch of shots with similar lighting and such and just Sync setting from one shot to the rest. I do that not just with "same scene" shots but then as a "starting point" for the next scene that I can then tweak as needed.

Oh, and with the buildings/structures in that shoot, lemme tell you that the Lightroom Lens Distortion correction tool was one of my best friends! It's funny, but you learn to tell at a glance what value a scene will need to get at least a good "beginning"!

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

sponsored links

326,379 views & 46 likes for this thread
Pacific Northwesterners!!
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff Member Activities 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.